Racer 5 (Stage 1-3) vs Fast (phase 1&2) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racer 5 (Stage 1-3) vs Fast (phase 1&2)

Mr.Marcus

Apologies if this thread has been created already (please direct me to it)

Looking to register in one or the other this week. Would like the forums thoughts from current/past instructors/students on their experiences to help me decide. This will be my first season on the track. Have rode on streets for 7 seasons.

Noted the following differences:
1) Racer 5 using 125's for Stage 1 and 2 and rental required for Stage 3 while Fast provides 600's for Phase 1&2
2) Racer 5 is 3 days vs Fast which is 2 days
3) Price (not too concerned as I am looking for the better experience)

FAST used to do phase 1/2/3. They don't anymore?

I loved the FAST courses. Put a couple of buddies through it too, they were tall guys and simply didn't feel comfortable on a 125 (didn't think they would fit)

I think it's whatever you are comfortable with AND what you want. It's your money.

I hear great things on RACER5 too

They're both good schools.

Fast still has 3 phases. http://www.fastridingschool.com/courses.php#step-3

I think Fast has more dates on it's course schedule than Racer5, but that may have changed.

Don't worry about the smaller bikes used at Racer5. Smaller bikes are better for learning on.

In the end it comes down to your schedule and the distance you are willing to travel.

Good luck.

I have done FAST 1-3 and RACER5 4. I put one kid through FAST and 1 kid through RACER5 1-3.

Register for whichever fits your budget and timeframe.

FAST does offer I4, V650 and 300 rentals. It's not just I4.

Stage 5 and Fast 1 & 2. They are both good, racer5 has more track time though, so its slightly better value IMO

I did all 3 FAST phases last summer. Fantastic experience and I learned TONS.

You can use a course 300, 600 or the 650, or bring your own bike.

The 600's have throttle stops on them so you can only go 1/3rd WOT.

The limited throttle helps you to learn lines, corner entry / exit and body position without worrying about outright speed.
Great instructors and feedback after every session. I was dragging knees by middle of day 2!

I hear good things re: R5 too. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

...be warned it may lead to an expensive addiction.
After phase 2 i went and bought a dedicated track bike, all the required track day gear, and necessities. It was an expensive summer!

Last edited:
FAST doesn't offer phase 1,2&3 as a package so I'm assuming the FAST phase 1&2 is comparable to Stage 1,2&3 at Racer 5. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

You do all 3 courses individually.
They usually do 1 and 2 together as a 2 day course and 3 is standalone.
Or, you can do all 3 parts individually as I did.
Check their calendar. It's up on their site.

I have two buddies who did FAST first then Racer5. They told me Racer5 taught them much more than FAST did. I've done Racer5 with both of them.

The biggest advantage of starting on a 125 is that it provides a much lower skill floor, with a relatively high skill ceiling. A low skill floor allows a rider to pick up/practice techniques and mechanics without a ridiculously high learning curve. A 600 on the other hand has a high skill floor and skill ceiling higher than a 125 (obviously).

Example:

A 125 doesn't have much torque or power. You are forced to carry speed through the corner or get left behind. All you have to worry about is body position and entry speed. You can even snap the throttle open without too much issue. There are very few corners where you need to brake hard (if it's at Grand Bend, there's really only 2); usually a simple roll off is enough. All of these skills transfer to a 600.

On a 600, the above is more difficult to learn. You now have to worry about braking, throttle control on top of body positioning. Also, 600s are much heavier, this becomes apparent when you've spent the day throwing around a 400lb machine as opposed to 275lb machine. You will also develop ****** habits by using the throttle to correct your mistake (trying to make up speed on corner exit as opposed to carrying speed).

For gamers reading this, this is equivalent to starting on StarCraft 2 to learn RTS games as opposed to a moba like LoL.

Last edited:
As I have taken Fast 1-3 I would just add one note to this topic.

Before pick a course answer this question

What street bike do i currently own.
No point in learning something on a lesser or more powerfull bike and you can not take that experience home with you to practice on your own equipment.

If you own a 600cc Supersport Fast is better
If you own a < 600 or non super sport i would go to Racer 5
If you own a 1000cc go to CSBS

Ended up deciding on the FAST (phase 1&2) course on August 8 and 9 mainly due to the fact that I already ride a '09 gsxr 750 so there wouldn't be that much of an adjustment when I jump on the 600 for a couple of days and what I heard about the instructors. If anybody will be registering for the same course and would like to carpool from downtown Toronto please feel free to PM.

Thanks for all the input from the people that responded, it really helped in making my decision in addition to reading other reviews.

Good choice.
Listen to the instructors advice, stay hydrated (i drank a bottle of water after every session), and have fun.
Also, take it easy the 1st session out after lunch.
...someone ALWAYS crashes in that 1st one back out.

Back
Top Bottom