Handicap permits | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Handicap permits

I've seen parking control (special constables) staking out the handicapped parking at Finch Subway parking lot and checking the drivers licenses of people parking therein to see if it matches the permit.

There used to be a nice spot there at the end that had the painted H on the pavement but didn't have the sign (therefore not technically a handicapped spot) - would remain empty til much later on in the am.

I've seen parking control (special constables) staking out the handicapped parking at Finch Subway parking lot and checking the drivers licenses of people parking therein to see if it matches the permit.

There used to be a nice spot there at the end that had the painted H on the pavement but didn't have the sign (therefore not technically a handicapped spot) - would remain empty til much later on in the am.

Helipad perhaps.

story tells you how it ended up, guy that made the video and posted it online realized it was overkill,
took it down, and encouraged others to leave her alone....looks to me like a great example of what not to do

regardless of what he did, the point is the Police did something as well

We’ve cautioned her for assault and parking in a disabled spot, which is really what we can do under the circumstances,” Pugash said.

Too many of them are handed out as far as I'm concerned. Too many lazy people. Too many Dr. Nicks.

It got to the point where I would box people in. Sure they'd get upset, but once we pulled out my mother-in-law's wheelchair, they'd try and slink off before they were reported.

No one that I knew, besides her that had a sticker actually needed it, and yet she was the one who'd get the yearly "prove that you can't walk" requests, rubbing in the fact.

Good on you, lad. A friend of mine had a similar experience with the system. It was absolutely disgusting to learn the runaround genuinely disabled people receive from all levels of government. That same friend lost their federal disability status since he managed to get out of a wheelchair onto DUAL canes after a serious injury. Virtually unemployable but "Not our problem now". All so the finance minister could "slay the deficit" and hand out corporate welfare. Meanwhile, City Hall and the TPS had be shamed into a cursory investigation of permit fraudsters--when they weren't using handicapped parking spots themselves.

regardless of what he did, the point is the Police did something as well

We’ve cautioned her for assault and parking in a disabled spot, which is really what we can do under the circumstances,” Pugash said.

awesome, so did the idiot with the camera get an I Support The Police sticker for his lunchbox?

get yours yet?

I was visiting a friend one time on a side street near Queen and Ossington.
There was a disabled permit on a monster truck.
The bottom of the door was about five feet from the street.
I don't think I could get into that truck, how was a disabled person supposed to do it?

I was visiting a friend one time on a side street near Queen and Ossington.
There was a disabled permit on a monster truck.
The bottom of the door was about five feet from the street.
I don't think I could get into that truck, how was a disabled person supposed to do it?

They were obviously mentally disabled based on the vehicle they thought was appropriate to drive in the city.

It's easier to climb or lift someone up into a truck than down into a Porsche, but could also be morally handicapped.

I don't think I've ever seen a motorbike with Handicap plates. Are they hard to get?

how to obtain one

[h=2]Get a motorcycle decal[/h] [h=3]Eligibility[/h] You can only get an accessible parking permit motorcycle decal if you:

• hold an unexpired accessible parking permit for general use
  • hold a valid motorcycle driver’s licence (class M or M2)
  • own or lease a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle
You must carry your accessible parking permit with you, even if the decal is displayed on your motorcycle plate when parking in an accessible parking space
[h=3]How to apply[/h] To obtain a motorcycle decal, you must send a written request to ServiceOntario.
In your letter, state you are applying for a new accessible parking motorcycle decal and include:

• your full legal name
  • your current permanent or subject-to-change accessible parking permit number
  • your driver’s licence number (must be class M or M2)
  • the licence plate number of each motorcycle registered in your name to which the decal will be attached
  • a copy of your identification that proves: legal name, date of birth, and signature

At one time your doctor had to sign the disabled permit application to certify that you were in fact disabled.
Has that been waived?

At one time your doctor had to sign the disabled permit application to certify that you were in fact disabled.
Has that been waived?

To apply for an accessible parking permit, there are 2 parts to the application form:

Part A – to be completed by the applicant
Part B – to be completed by your health care practitioner

Has that been waived?

For the motorcycle sticker, it is redundant, since you already have the car sticker.

In my opinion if you're only walking with a cane, and/or can ride a motorcycle, you shouldn't be getting one. The fruit is hanging too low.

Just take a walk around Metro Hall, it's surrounded by cars parked in no parking zones, with handicapped stickers. They're too easy to get for those in the know.

For the motorcycle sticker, it is redundant, since you already have the car sticker.

In my opinion if you're only walking with a cane, and/or can ride a motorcycle, you shouldn't be getting one. The fruit is hanging too low.

Just take a walk around Metro Hall, it's surrounded by cars parked in no parking zones, with handicapped stickers. They're too easy to get for those in the know.

it does not have to be a physical condition that one can visually see, to be disabled and to require a permit...

Are they easy to get, sure if you have a practitioner who is willing to put his signature down and confirm you in fact have a disability....

it does not have to be a physical condition that one can visually see, to be disabled and to require a permit...

Are they easy to get, sure if you have a practitioner who is willing to put his signature down and confirm you in fact have a disability....

That's one of my biggest issues. Someone with no use of their legs, is going to be easy to spot. They should have full access to those spots.

Someone who twisted their ankle playing racquetball, shouldn't be depriving them of the spots.

Most people who are wheelchair bound, would be ecstatic to be able to switch to a walker, and likewise to those with a walker, switching to a cane, once in a while.
Be grateful for the mobility you have, and don't exacerbate your problems, to deprive others of what they need.

The entire system is messed up and enforced improperly.

That's one of my biggest issues. Someone with no use of their legs, is going to be easy to spot. They should have full access to those spots.

Someone who twisted their ankle playing racquetball, shouldn't be depriving them of the spots.

Most people who are wheelchair bound, would be ecstatic to be able to switch to a walker, and likewise to those with a walker, switching to a cane, once in a while.
Be grateful for the mobility you have, and don't exacerbate your problems, to deprive others of what they need.

The only person to blame for permits issued that should not be issued, are the practitioners.......

There are guidelines they have to follow......not much you can do if there is a crooked doctor in the house....

if the racket ball injury meets the criteria, not much one can do about it...

SR-LV-129 (2016/04)
Part B - Health practitioners must complete name of applicant and sections 1, 2 and 3.

Health documents filed in support of this application are privileged - subject to the confidentiality provisions of the
Freedom of Information and
Protection of Privacy Act

Legal last name of applicant

Legal First Name

Section 1 –
Assessment of Health Conditions

A
Who cannot walk without the assistance of another individual or of a brace, cane, crutch, lower limb prosthetic device or similar
assistive device or who requires the assistance of a wheelchair.

B
Who suffers from lung disease to such an extent that his or her forced expiratory volume in one second is less than 1 litre.

C
For whom portable oxygen is a medical necessity.

D
Who suffers from cardiovascular disease to such an extent that the individual's functional capacity is classified as Class III or Class IV
according to Nomenclature and Criteria for Diagnosis of Diseases of the Heart and Great Vessels.

E
Whose ability to walk is severely limited due to an arthritic, neurological, musculoskeletal or orthopedic condition.

F
Whose visual acuity is 20/200 or poorer in the better eye, with corrective lenses if required or whose maximum field of vision
using both eyes has a diameter of 20 degrees or less.

G
Whose mobility is severely limited by one or more conditions or functional impairments ("person with a disability").

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be a "crooked doctor" there are others who can also sign Chiropractors, Physiotherapist, and Occupational Therapist. As I said I have one, from my collision last year. I don't often use it but there are days when I do need to. My doctor, used to sign for them 3 month intervals. Now my Occupational Therpist, signs off on them seeing I have a standing monthly visit, No need to waste doc valuable time for a signature.

The only person to blame for permits issued that should not be issued, are the practitioners.......

There are guidelines they have to follow......not much you can do if there is a crooked doctor in the house....

if the racket ball injury meets the criteria, not much one can do about it...

As I have stated, I use mine very sparingly. I rarely used it when I was in a wheelchair, (unless the regular spots were too small for me to get chair out of back seat). I had use of my legs was just 100% non weight bearing on one, so I could hop to rear door. My thought is I have wheels I can roll a little further leave the spot for those with crutches or cane etc.

yeah, how dare a person with a physical disability have the audacity to get a job,
they should be kept out of sight so they don't bother you and take up all the good parking spaces

Handicapped permits can be given out on a temporary basis, owing to injury. I've known people who got them. I have seen many healthy construction workers carrying heavy tool bags to sites, who had handicapped placards on their vehicles. It's the thing about starting work at oh-dark-thirty, along with such people.

Back
Top Bottom