Handicap permits | GTAMotorcycle.com

Handicap permits

micelli.i

I saw a handicap permit today on what looked like a contractor's white van, complete with tools & materials. I have no clue how handicap permits are given out. Noob question, but does the person have to have a physical handicap, or could it be a mental one? 'Cause otherwise, how could a person with a physical handicap do construction work?

If you have a prosthetic leg or something, I can see it being possible you do some kind of work with your hands. Probably not anything very labor intensive, but some kind of trade?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-accessible-parking-permit

How to get an accessible parking permit. Accessible parking permits are issued to a person or business and not a vehicle. Permit holders must have been in the vehicle and the permit displayed on the dashboard in order to park in an accessible parking space.

[h=2]Eligibility[/h] To get an accessible parking permit, your healthcare practitioner must certify that you have one or more of the following health conditions:

• cannot walk without assistance of another individual or of a brace, cane, crutch, lower limb prosthetic device or similar assistive device or who requires the assistance of a wheelchair,
  • suffers from lung disease to such an extent that his or her forced expiratory volume in one second is less than one litre,
  • portable oxygen is a medical necessity,
  • suffers from cardiovascular disease to such an extent that the individual’s functional capacity is classified as Class III or Class IV according to Nomenclature and Criteria for Diagnosis of Diseases of the Heart and Great Vessels, ninth edition, published by Little, Brown & <abbr title="company">Co.</abbr> in 1994,
  • severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, musculoskeletal or orthopaedic condition,
  • visual acuity is 20/200 or poorer in the better eye with corrective lenses if required, or whose maximum field of vision using both eyes has a diameter of 20 degrees or less,
  • mobility is severely limited by one or more conditions or functional impairments

and all the other info is provided in the link above

I saw a handicap permit today on what looked like a contractor's white van, complete with tools & materials. I have no clue how handicap permits are given out. Noob question, but does the person have to have a physical handicap, or could it be a mental one? 'Cause otherwise, how could a person with a physical handicap do construction work?

yeah, how dare a person with a physical disability have the audacity to get a job,
they should be kept out of sight so they don't bother you and take up all the good parking spaces

yeah, how dare a person with a physical disability have the audacity to get a job,
they should be kept out of sight so they don't bother you and take up all the good parking spaces

Dont think it was his intention to offend, in the minds of most people handicap is a physical disability, and that doesnt add up with a construction/trades job that are generally fairly physical.

Dont think it was his intention to offend, in the minds of most people handicap is a physical disability, and that doesnt add up with a construction/trades job that are generally fairly physical.

without spending much time on it, I can come up with a dozen reasons why the vehicle is properly tagged to be there,
and how the driver would have skills to contribute to the company doing the work

without spending much time on it, I can come up with a dozen reasons why the vehicle is properly tagged to be there,
and how the driver would have skills to contribute to the company doing the work

and I have seen permits abused as well, by drivers who the permit is not issued to, but since downtown parking is a premium will use it to be able to park just about anywhere.....

knew a painter who's son was issued the permit, but he used it to park close to the job sites, so as not to have to walk far and or look for parking, more or less parked wherever he wanted....

There are two obvious scenarios
a) driver has some form of handicap and deserves and needs the sticker. If they had bad lungs for example, they could easily work in construction (other people do the lifting, they do the planning and screwing)
b) driver was sick of carrying their tools a block from the closest spot they could find to the jobsite so they got a handicap sticker to make their life easier.

I would expect options a and b are equally likely unfortunately.

I was issued one after my bike collision last year. I try not to use it when I can, but there are days that walking across a large parking lot just isn't going to happen.

Also remember that the permit is issued to the person, and doesn't necessarily mean that is the driver. I used it alot as a passenger when I first got out of the hospital.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

So how does a business get a permit? Quoting above, it makes it seem like a business can just buy em for their vehicles?

or business.....I am just not sure how the business applies for it

Found it....

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-get-accessible-parking-permit-company-vehicle

You can get a company accessibility permit (green) for every vehicle that your organization owns or leases.
It is valid for 5 years and must be renewed every 5 years.
To be eligible, a vehicle:

• must be registered to your company or non-profit organization
  • your company or non-profit organization must be registered in Ontario
Cost to apply, renew or replace: free
[h=2]Apply for/renew a permit[/h] To apply, send a written request on official company or organization letterhead to ServiceOntario by mail.
Please state whether you are applying or renewing.
You must also:

• include a declaration that says that the vehicles are primarily used to transport people with disabilities
  • provide proof that the vehicles are primarily used to transport persons with disabilities
  • describe the nature of your business
  • provide copies of valid contracts
  • list the licence plate and vehicle identification numbers for each vehicle
  • submit proof of operation, such as:
    • articles of incorporation
    • master business licence
    • letters of patent under the Corporations Act
    • charter
    • company seal imprint
    • certified copy of declaration of partnership
    • First Nations band letter with number
Send your request to:
ServiceOntario
<abbr title="post office">P.O.</abbr> Box 9800
Kingston <abbr title="Ontario">ON</abbr> K7L 5N8

Last edited:
Too many of them are handed out as far as I'm concerned. Too many lazy people. Too many Dr. Nicks.

It got to the point where I would box people in. Sure they'd get upset, but once we pulled out my mother-in-law's wheelchair, they'd try and slink off before they were reported.

No one that I knew, besides her that had a sticker actually needed it, and yet she was the one who'd get the yearly "prove that you can't walk" requests, rubbing in the fact.

There's a high percentage of fraud going on. The government could hire a couple of people to walk around Downtown, and wait for people to park with stickers and then follow them, then go back, tow the cars and fine them.
They could make a fortune doing it.

For me, only people with wheelchairs should have the stickers. They are the ones who most need them.

I was issued one after my bike collision last year. I try not to use it when I can, but there are days that walking across a large parking lot just isn't going to happen.

Also remember that the permit is issued to the person, and doesn't necessarily mean that is the driver. I used it alot as a passenger when I first got out of the hospital.

I'm not sure exactly how you're doing this.

The person to whom the permit is issued has to be in the vehicle when a H/C spot is used. A healthy driver can't drop a handicapped person close to the building and then use a H/C spot.

A person can need the sticker and still look healthy. Do we have the right to challenge them?

During a normal business day in Toronto expect that up to 30% of people who are displaying disabled permits and parked illegally are not disabled.
As the permit can be moved from vehicle to vehicle they are abused.
The contractor described above is most likely using a family members permit.
There was a brisk trade in forged permits until a few years ago when they changed the design.

The person to whom the permit is issued has to be in the vehicle when a H/C spot is used. A healthy driver can't drop a handicapped person close to the building and then use a H/C spot.

see my original post above...

but a recap

How to get an accessible parking permit. Accessible parking permits are issued to a person or business and not a vehicle. Permit holders must have been in the vehicle and the permit displayed on the dashboard in order to park in an accessible parking space.

During a normal business day in Toronto expect that up to 30% of people who are displaying disabled permits and parked illegally are not disabled.
There was a brisk trade in forged permits until a few years ago when they changed the design.

They are issued to the person not the vehicle, so yes it can move from vehicle to vehicle, but the disabled person it's issued too must be in the vehicle when it's going to be used..

Last edited:

I don't, the only reason why I would get dropped at the door is because a disabled space isn't available.

Anecdotally, your ratios are reversed. I expect that well over 70% are abused.

I remember one going out drinking with one guy, and he parked right on Yonge St. in a no parking zone for the first and last time. When I told him he was in a no parking zone, he said "No problem, I"ve got Grandpa's crip stick!"

Another person used to park on Front St westbound, even though it was eight blocks from the office, and right beside a parking lot with empty handicapped spots, because it was more convenient for her, so guess how traffic looked during rush hour before she managed to walk that eight blocks. She did have bad arthritis, and needed a cane at times.

Another used his dead wife's sticker until it ran out.

Another I met at my old hair stylist, which was up a couple of flights of rickety stairs, she worked for the city at the time, and had gotten a temporary one when she twisted her ankle, she was so thrilled with it, that she was planning on renewing it for a third time, and perhaps indefinitely.

Another had lower back problems, but was very busy, managed to get around fine, and drove a Porsche.

When we had the one for my mother in law, I would drop her off with my wife at the spot, and then park elsewhere, because the spots were so dear.
It didn't feel right to be parked in the spot when I could walk perfectly well.

A quick fix would be to rescind the ability to park in no parking zones on the street, or even just major streets, during rush hour, and the ability to park overnight without a parking permit.
That way those with the stickers would be forced to park in the empty spots in the pay lots, that are required by law to set aside those spots.

Back
Top Bottom