Riding Multiple Bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Multiple Bikes

If insurance company are going to have their cake and eat it too, could we not as well by sharing bikes?

For example I have my primary bike that I always keep. But I swap my secondary bike with my buddy's secondary bike every once in a while. This way we pay insurance twice but get to enjoy three bikes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with that...insured vehicle under you, has to be owned by you.

Good luck with that...insured vehicle under you, has to be owned by you.

I put forward this scenario since someone stated that insurance companies would charge you for each bike you ride even though you can only ride one at a time - the rational being that friends could take your other bikes out?

I put forward this scenario since someone stated that insurance companies would charge you for each bike you ride even though you can only ride one at a time - the rational being that friends could take your other bikes out?

When you lend your bike you lend your insurance. That means that if your buddy goes down both you AND your friend have a claim attached to them. If he was at fault for the accident, you're BOTH at fault. That's the insurance risk of lending your bike out. I don't have a friend that I'd trust with my insurance history.

My company will allow me to suspend coverage on whatever vehicle I'm not driving and it gets super cheap then. Only downside is you can't just swap them back and forth as you please. Must be stored for 90 days to get a discount on your rates. I'm with The Personal.

At least I'm pretty sure I can do that with bikes. I know I can do it with cars and usually do it with the 944 over the winter.

In regards to the waiver, I was under the impression that any licensed driver/rider in your household must either be on a policy (whether it be yours, theirs, or someone else's) or have a waiver saying they can't drive the vehicle.

I have 3 vehicles that only I drive/ride and will soon add another.

Is that this year only ? I asked about that last year 2016 and they said they don't have a 'storage' option so I have 1 bike at home with no insurance / no plates on it.

Is that this year only ? I asked about that last year 2016 and they said they don't have a 'storage' option so I have 1 bike at home with no insurance / no plates on it.
My Porsche 944 has been stored most winters since I got it about 5 years ago including until last month. I have not tried it with a bike.

They call it "suspended liability coverage".

My Porsche 944 has been stored most winters since I got it about 5 years ago including until last month. I have not tried it with a bike.

This won't work for bikes because the premium is weighted for the riding season. You're being charged for 6 months but that charge is being spread over 12 months of payments. So if you were to suspend your coverage from October to April, you'd still end up paying the same amount of premium.

This won't work for bikes because the premium is weighted for the riding season. You're being charged for 6 months but that charge is being spread over 12 months of payments. So if you were to suspend your coverage from October to April, you'd still end up paying the same amount of premium.
But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about storing one for 3 months of the riding season while riding another.

Even in your example it should still be possible. You'd just save next to nothing depending on the months you stored it.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about storing one for 3 months of the riding season while riding another.

Even in your example it should still be possible. You'd just save next to nothing depending on the months you stored it.
It CAN be done, it just doesn't make much sense to do it.
There are two endorsements that you need. OPCF16 suspends coverage and OPCF17 reinstates coverage. As per FCSO the insurer may refund a portion of the premiums they would normal be entitled to while the OPCF16 is in place:

<>2.In return for the refund, you agree that the described automobile will continuously taken out of use and not operated as of the effective date of this change.
  • Section 3, “Liability Coverage,”
  • Section 4, “Accident Benefits Coverage,”
  • Section 5, “Uninsured Automobile Coverage,” and
  • Section 6, “Direct Compensation – Property Damage Coverage.”
    1. You also agree that the following coverages will be cancelled for the described automobile, newly acquired automobile and temporary substitute automobile:

• Section 7, “Loss or Damage Coverages (Optional)”

• All Perils, but only for loss or damage caused by Collision or Upset, and
  • Collision or Upset.
    1. We may choose to refund a portion of your premium when you sign this change or when we reinstate your coverages.
You agree that the following coverages will be cancelled for the use or operation of the described automobile, a newly acquired automobile, and a temporary substitute automobile:

BUT - here is the caveat:

<>2.5We will not pay a refund if you suspend your coverage for less than 45 consecutive days.

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/...-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1300E.html

If you want to flip between bikes, your company should send you an OPCF16 form to sign and return. The number of days that the suspension must be in force for is the most important part.

I thought we already brought up that there is a minimum time to get a refund? The Personal is 90 days as far as I recall.

I thought we already brought up that there is a minimum time to get a refund? The Personal is 90 days as far as I recall.

Well I would be requesting a copy of the endorsement. I've never seen any duration other than 45 days. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I wouldn't be taking the word of a broker without seeing the form. I know that the vast majority of companies use 45 days.

Interesting, I'd have to call again, I am with ThePersonal as well and I asked about that and they said they didn't do it for bikes only for cars. Perhaps the CSR I got didn't know ...

Interesting, I'd have to call again, I am with ThePersonal as well and I asked about that and they said they didn't do it for bikes only for cars. Perhaps the CSR I got didn't know ...
Well if they said only cars I've only done it with a car so that might be true.

Back
Top Bottom