Riding Multiple Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Multiple Bikes

DarR

For those of you that ride multiple bikes, do you have an insurance company that does not charge you for liability on each vehicle?
I can only ride one bike at a time yet I'm currently paying for liability coverage on each ride.
In the event of an accident, the liability will only be paid once yet I'm paying three premiums.

Yep, always been screwed that way. On the same policy is also my car, which I can't drive while on the bike.

For those of you that ride multiple bikes, do you have an insurance company that does not charge you for liability on each vehicle?
I can only ride one bike at a time yet I'm currently paying for liability coverage on each ride.
In the event of an accident, the liability will only be paid once yet I'm paying three premiums.

Insurance companies worry about the liability of you inviting a buddy over for each additional bike and having you all riding them at the same time. Or something? I personally think it's dumb but there's no way around it. Either be old enough that the cumulative premiums don't add up to much, or rotate the bikes on and off your policy (probably want to find a friendly broker that could keep them all on file). I would have like ten bikes otherwise

Insurance companies worry about the liability of you inviting a buddy over for each additional bike and having you all riding them at the same time. Or something? I personally think it's dumb but there's no way around it. Either be old enough that the cumulative premiums don't add up to much, or rotate the bikes on and off your policy (probably want to find a friendly broker that could keep them all on file). I would have like ten bikes otherwise

While I didn't want to chime-in so soon, I have a few suggestions for a solution to this problem:

1) There's no valid reason why the insurance companies don't charge us liability on the highest risk vehicle and only comprehension and collision on our other vehicles providing that the policy excludes liability coverage for anyone else riding those vehicles.

OR

2) Liability coverage should be paid with your drivers license thus assuring every license holder has coverage. Comprehension and collision would be left in the hands of private insurance companies.

Last edited:
because they have us by the balls and they know it

why not let you sign a waiver...no one else will operate my other vehicles if they do then drop my coverage?

don't they drop your coverage if you were convicted of drinking and driving or if you committed a crime and got in an accident???

they have a monopoly and govt. helps them keep it that way

why not let you sign a waiver...no one else will operate my other vehicles if they do then drop my coverage?

Totally agree. I'm going to suggest this and a few other solutions to my local MPP or MPP candidate. This has got to change.

Last edited:
because they have us by the balls and they know it

don't they drop your coverage if you were convicted of drinking and driving or if you committed a crime and got in an accident???

they have a monopoly and govt. helps them keep it that way

Agree completely. If residing in the same residence, you can exclude another licence holder. Just a step forward more to exclude other drivers.

That... and 1st world problems....if I was to be devil's advocate.

My company will allow me to suspend coverage on whatever vehicle I'm not driving and it gets super cheap then. Only downside is you can't just swap them back and forth as you please. Must be stored for 90 days to get a discount on your rates. I'm with The Personal.

At least I'm pretty sure I can do that with bikes. I know I can do it with cars and usually do it with the 944 over the winter.

In regards to the waiver, I was under the impression that any licensed driver/rider in your household must either be on a policy (whether it be yours, theirs, or someone else's) or have a waiver saying they can't drive the vehicle.

I have 3 vehicles that only I drive/ride and will soon add another.

Last edited:
Hey bro - thats not right.
I got two cars & two bikes on same policy...i drive/ride all...no issues...
Company is "The Personal Insurance"
Check 'em out - peace!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
He meant it is physically impossible to operate two vehicles at the same time. If you can do that make a video please.

As mentioned earlier, staggering them in rotation is probably the cheapest way, but it depends on your company/broker and does restrict your choices.....as far the 'letting other riders using your bike' bs, it's like asking if I will be using the bike as a getaway vehicle when I rob the local gas station to pay for my meth habit....imho

.....of course they would probably want to charge more as they would see it as 'commercial use'

Last edited:
I was with Personal at one point in the past. Got better rates since. Yeah what unL33t said. You can't drive more than 1 vehicle at a time, but you pay for all of them. Would be great to have a fleet like policy with exclusion of anyone else driving any. Pay for the highest risk/premium and drive whatever and however many you have. I'd have a few different vehicles.

Staggering them might be an idea. Have a winter bike and a summer one. ;)

When you talk to insurance company people about the rip off you feel like you're talking to Kellyanne Conway. More BS than a mushroom farm.

I know a guy in the US that insures a wrecked bike because the fourth bike gets him a volume discount that makes it cheaper than insuring three.

It's not the insurance companies, it's the lawyers. Nothing can be left up to interpretation, that's why policies are so complex. The difference between 'a' and 'the' in a wording can completely change the intended nature of a coverage in court. If you could have logical, plain language policies that weren't being taken to court constantly you'd likely be able to get what you're looking for. You should be telling anyone who utters the phrase "We don't get paid until you get paid" to **** right off!

It's not the insurance companies, it's the lawyers. Nothing can be left up to interpretation, that's why policies are so complex. The difference between 'a' and 'the' in a wording can completely change the intended nature of a coverage in court. If you could have logical, plain language policies that weren't being taken to court constantly you'd likely be able to get what you're looking for. You should be telling anyone who utters the phrase "We don't get paid until you get paid" to **** right off!

It's not the insurance companies and it's not the lawyers....

It's the Government, it dictates to the insurance companies on how much money they have to make and this in turn forces the insurance companies to make adjustments to the costs of insurance....

Ask any of the brokers or insurance guys here, if they are honest enough they will tell us this....as well....

This is what I was told by my Broker and Insurance Company, was with the same broker over 20 years....now I look for insurance every year, and the companies that are hungry enough will get you the best they can get you, it pays to shop around, take a day off work if you have to, but shop around.....

I was with Personal at one point in the past. Got better rates since. Yeah what unL33t said. You can't drive more than 1 vehicle at a time, but you pay for all of them. Would be great to have a fleet like policy with exclusion of anyone else driving any. Pay for the highest risk/premium and drive whatever and however many you have. I'd have a few different vehicles.

Staggering them might be an idea. Have a winter bike and a summer one. ;)
Who are you with now? I'm with The Personal getting good rates but perhaps I can find better.

If insurance company are going to have their cake and eat it too, could we not as well by sharing bikes?

For example I have my primary bike that I always keep. But I swap my secondary bike with my buddy's secondary bike every once in a while. This way we pay insurance twice but get to enjoy three bikes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom