Never learned to ride a bicycle, wants a motorcycle. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Never learned to ride a bicycle, wants a motorcycle.

I've been teaching with the Ottawa Safety Council for 16 years and it does happen a few times per year where we get someone who has never ridden a bicycle. It generally doesn't seem to affect their ability to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

I've been teaching with the Ottawa Safety Council for 16 years and it does happen a few times per year where we get someone who has never ridden a bicycle. It generally doesn't seem to affect their ability to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

Just by the mere fact they showed up ready to rock probably separates these two wheel virgins from static lookyloos. Success is virtually assured barring the usual disclaimers.

The pedals are what screw up new bicycle riders. Start them on a bike with no pedals and they can learn in minutes. A small motorbike is essentially the same. A slight grade and a light bike and it should be no problem to figure it out.

Yup ...that's how millions of moped renters make do.
Roll and go, landing gear down for a bit ....no clutch no pedals..just got to sort the throttle

I kinda don't know what y'all are freaking out about. Having a bike as a kid started losing its appeal after the third time it was stolen, and anyway this guy has signed up for a course. If he has any deficiencies he'll find out and deal with them. I remember taking my own motorcycle course, and there were a few adults who were definitely struggling with the physics of a bike. Maybe it was all the time on the horizontal Pac-Man arcade machine?

Interesting. Good news for this guy then hopefully.

Unfortunately he was also talking about wanting a supersport for his first bike (obligatory it seems), and I did also leave him with the polite "Call for insurance quotes before buying anything" advice.

What are the odds he doesn't have his G either? Nor drive stick? The three things that made my MC course a cinch were tons of driving, cycling, and shifting experience.

I'd try to follow up with him and see how he did for fun.

I was honestly a little worried myself, as I rode bikes a lot as a kid, but hadn't actually been on one for probably 15-20 years when I decided to take the course and get my M1/M2. I guess what they say about "it's like riding a bike" is true, as once I was moving it all came back to me and was no issue at all.

Cant' comment on clutch and shifting though, as I've driven stick since 16, so once I knew where the controls were and how they operated it was pretty much second nature.

What are the odds he doesn't have his G either? Nor drive stick? The three things that made my MC course a cinch were tons of driving, cycling, and shifting experience.

I'd try to follow up with him and see how he did for fun.

Hard to say if I'll ever see him again, he probably worked somewhere far off in the plant and just happened to bump into me near the bathroom.

As for driving stick being an advantage, I don't know...I guess some of the theory transfers between a car to some extent, but I'm reminded over the years of trying to teach people to drive a 10, 13, or 18 speed in a class 8 tractor who thought it'd be easy because they had driven a standard before. NOTHING transfers as a non synchronized transmission in a semi is a completely different beast - the first piece of advice I'd give people when they mentioned their previous standard experience was "forget everything".

I don't think anyone is freaking out and I never said you can't do it, I just can't teach you to balance. If you have balance on two wheels it's a lot easier from that point

Pretty much all agreed that if you can ride a bicycle then it should be easier. Learning to balance and pilot at the same time is challenging. Esp if your confidence is low. Adding a motor is just another variable for a higher consequence.

Having proficiency on a bicycle is definitely an asset. Riding a bicycle on a gravel road, learning traction and skidding has helped me in my motorcycling endeavors.

I kinda don't know what y'all are freaking out about. Having a bike as a kid started losing its appeal after the third time it was stolen, and anyway this guy has signed up for a course. If he has any deficiencies he'll find out and deal with them. I remember taking my own motorcycle course, and there were a few adults who were definitely struggling with the physics of a bike. Maybe it was all the time on the horizontal Pac-Man arcade machine?

quoting you but really a general statement......haven't been here long but this forum is kinda strange,
not all the threads, but there seems to be a pattern where an OP will ask a question or make a statement
then there's pages of members teeing off on each other in argument, focking strange

has it always been this way here?

quoting you but really a general statement......haven't been here long but this forum is kinda strange,
not all the threads, but there seems to be a pattern where an OP will ask a question or make a statement
then there's pages of members teeing off on each other in argument, focking strange

Sounds about right.

Love it or leave it.

Yes, definitely. The best years have been when there was roughly a balance, so once a thread got started it would sustain itself for pages

Free Turbodish.

Dont forget that you outweigh a bicycle by many times,
and a motorcycle usually outweighs you.

That weight is also lower than you in both cases.

I've seen it done a couple of times with no problems.

As long as the person is smooth and doesn't have a death grip on the bars,
adding steering inputs as they balance, they should be o.k.

Then again that goes for those who can ride a bike as well.

haven't been here long but this forum is kinda strange,
then there's pages of members teeing off on each other in argument

Welcome to GTAM. ;)

During the winter months when everybody's bikes are parked there's a lot more friction around here because everyone is, well...bored and grumpy that we're not riding.

Also, being a reasonably local site (GTA, afterall) I find it's more reminiscent of the BBS era and all the member friction that came along with that (for those who were around and part of that back then) vs many larger more geographically diverse forums with less membership friction.

Anyhow, it's cool here so long as you can handle the occasional poke in the eye and don't take things personally. I've had more than my share of of darts thrown at me here over my reasonably short tenure, but like they say, water off a ducks back, move on.

Wait till you get ban. Every new member gets an infraction

Who the hell says water off a ducks back? ?
You sure we're the same age, buddy? ?
Yeah @javafan as others have said, it's a bit different over here.
But it's hella entertaining!

The earlier comment about the no pedals thing would definitely explain the "balance bike" fad that started over the last few years. Seriously considering one for my kid if he doesn't get the hang of the bike this spring when we take the training wheels off.
He's itching to get a dirt bike and gotta get him ready for the Honda Jr Red Riders course when he turns 6.
I guess to answer the original question, a prerequisite for the JRR is that they are proficient at riding a bicycle.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom