New motorcycle purchase | GTAMotorcycle.com

New motorcycle purchase

richi

Does anyone have any experience purchasing a new BMW bike?
Is there such thing as negotiating on an ordered 2017 model? Or any preferred dealers/salesmen to deal with.

It would be my first brand new motorcycle so any other tips is appreciated. Feel free to pm.

Last edited:
A dealership is a dealership. If you have car bargaining skills, you should be fine.

Do not sound desperate. Be prepared to walk away. They normally need you more than you need them. As "Low rider" says. that makes sense.
Have you compared at any other Stealerships. Good to have your own back up plan.
If they can not move on the price. Get loads of accessories or bolt on goodies.

Only advice I can give is find a dealer outside the city... Just from personal experience I find I get a way better deal on the price etc.

My best advise is to walk in with knowledge of the regular asking price of the bike you want to buy. Settle on a price you wish to pay. Make is reasonable.
After they spend time with you, even let them tell you the asking price. Say the price you wish to pay, if they don't meet it. Walk out the door.

I have never purchased any vehicle brand new, so all great info thank you.

I visited one dealership and got a written quote without haggling. I plan to visit two more dealerships to present the original quote and see who will do the best, possibly returning to dealer 1, to give them another chance just based on ease proximity to my home.

Should I expect accessories to be marked down?

Do you have a trade in? Sometimes that's worth using in your negotiating. Also the trade can help you reduce some tax. My only new bike purchase was a BMW and I felt I got a pretty fair deal. If you are ordering it you may be less likely to get a deal off a floor model. Most BMW dealers are having open house events next week I think. Might be a good night to make a deal.

If you buy a new bike you should be offered a discount off accessories 10-15%

My advise is try to buy it from the place you plan to service it.

Do you have a trade in? Sometimes that's worth using in your negotiating. Also the trade can help you reduce some tax. My only new bike purchase was a BMW and I felt I got a pretty fair deal. If you are ordering it you may be less likely to get a deal off a floor model. Most BMW dealers are having open house events next week I think. Might be a good night to make a deal.

If you buy a new bike you should be offered a discount off accessories 10-15%

My advise is try to buy it from the place you plan to service it.

I have a bike but never even considered trading it in, I just figured I'd sell it privately. I suppose it couldn't hurt to see what they would offer.

Using a trade-in in negotiations is going away from the proven strategy. You hit them with it after you get the best price possible. It is good to know your trade-in's (real) value however.
9 times out of 10 you will get more in a private sale but yes, you save on taxes if the dealer takes it and many people can't be bothered with kijiji or similar.

Last edited:
If you are confident in your ability to sell it privately just do so. Unless your trade is worth a lot of money you'll do better selling it yourself. As low rider said....make an offer that you'll be happy with. No dealership will let you walk if your offer is reasonable (they would rather make slightly less than normal on a sale than hold gross on a deal they didn't make.)....so keep in mind if they are letting you walk after a solid offer then you probably have their best price already. But if you're not happy then say thanks for your time and leave. keep in mind all of this goes out the window on the super hard to get models. Oh and make sure you are always talking out the door pricing with all taxes pdi and all that.

Be prepared to listen to some sales speel about selling all thier alocation and if you dont get it bought you wont get one, and how they have customers lining up. BMW builds new bikes everyday, you'll be fine.
And you'll be excited, thats ok its a new bike, but try and not get caught up in the moment.

But remember the salesman is just trying to make a living to and don't be a dick.

If you cannot negotiate on the bike, then negotiate on accesories, helmet, jacket, gloves, battery tender, and so on.....

BMW Oakville has an open house March 30th

BMW 2017 SEASON START

Event Time: 6:00PM to 9:00PM
Event Location: Budds' Motorrad. 2486 South Service Rd. W, Oakville

VIP INVITATION
Your time is now. Make no compromises and do what you want. Ride.
Don't miss the chance to see so many new and updated models from BMW Motorrad.​

The new Heritage line including the R nineT Scrambler, Racer & Pure in dealerships for the first time!​

The heavily updated power roadster, the S1000R and the most popular enduro, the R1200GS are sure to impress.​

Join us for a social and engaging evening to connect with friends and fellow riders as we kick start the riding season together.​

Food & Refreshments will be provided! Just bring yourself and your passion for riding!​
Please spread the word, come hang out and RSVP today! We can't wait to see you.
Click the button below to reserve your spot at our 2017 SEASON START EVENT!

Last edited:
great bikes, but proper maintenance is essential, keep that in mind when looking at dealerships
and understand that good service costs money, may save a few hundred bucks at a weaker dealer
on the sale, then have a terrible service experience

Back
Top Bottom