2017 Demo rides/events | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 Demo rides/events

Anyone been to a Yamaha demo day? Do they require a full M? I know their website says you do but I was at the Suzuki demo day today and I was able to ride the gsxr600 & gsxr750 with my M2, but the gsxr1000 they required a full M.

Depends on the dealer, some are sticklers that go by the book others are not, some might after seeing you take a bike out and not dying let you take a faster one out

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

So apparently at Honda with an m2 you can only take out bikes up to 500cc and they don't carry any RR's with them, wtf? Also you need to be interested in buying the bike, totally different from last years ride. Any other manufactures doing this stupid method so I know who to avoid?

I stopped by a honda demo thursday(too late to ride), dude told me it was a 500cc limit for M1. He also said they'd let me try a rebel and if I was good enough with that, they'd let me try the shadow.

He also said you don't HAVE to be looking to buy right away, but they said that they would be more likely to bump a tire kicker for a shopper.

Which dealers are saying this? So i know who to avoid at all costs in the future(i doubt honda canada does this just the dealers im guessing)

Which dealers are saying this? So i know who to avoid at all costs in the future(i doubt honda canada does this just the dealers im guessing)

This was at Milton Honda today, guy also said its a new policy they started this year across all rides, not sure if true or not. Very stupid

I highly doubt its across all rides, each dealer generally runs the show, if you go to a better dealer on a demo day you might get a different response

The info I got above was from the honda rep, not dealer. And it was the same tour, they told me(M1) to come out to milton and try the rebel first and then they'll put me on a shadow. Mind you I did say it was the last thing I needed to do before pulling the trigger.

M1 no one lets you ride, m2 they let you ride most if not all the stuff

What can I say, that was from the honda rep himself. Maybe it's a new policy based on the fact half the line up that comes off the truck is considered beginner bikes.

I didn't get any speech (or vibe, even) from the Honda guys that you needed to specifically be ready to buy or anything like that to ride (maybe there was something in the T&Cs). I'd say you should have at least some ability to purchase (if you're declaring bankrupcy, maybe don't take a Panigale out for a spin), but I've tried a few bikes over the years that I didn't know if I'd like and I had changed my mind about them after the ride. I had tried a Bolt C-Spec a while back and considered buying one, but then I ended up having to move and buy a house, so it didn't work out. I'd say there is value in trying something outside of what you know you like, otherwise you'll never know if you like it.

I tried the CBR500R and Africa Twin at the Honda demo day. The CBR500R was a nice size and comfortable, but was fairly basic (no gear indicator, only very slightly more power than an R3). The bike also had a really nasty buzz ~5000rpm (sounded like a bunch of bees) and the bike generally vibrated a lot more than I would expect (more than, say, the 690 Duke). I tried it to recommend to the other half as an upgrade bike, but I don't think it would be much of a step up over the Ninja 300. The Africa Twin was pretty comfortable and the 270-Degree crank engine sounded nice, like a bigger FZ07. The bike was a bit down on power compared to others in its class though. I didn't get to test out the traction control system or off-road ability, obviously. I hadn't tried an adventure/touring-style bike before and was curious.

I retested the FZ10 since one of the guys said on here that the throttle did get fixed/adjusted after I mentioned it was weird, and it was 100x better. The thing really rips and has a great sound. It sounds a bit like a sewing machine when you rev it standing still, but it sounds pretty mean when you are able to get on it ; with an aftermarket pipe, even the calmest person would transform into a rev-happy hooligan. Going from riding that directly to getting back on my CBR1000RR felt really weird. The bike feels pretty "fat": wide bars, soft seat, wide tank. I can understand the appeal of the more relaxed riding position, heh. I'm still not sure how I feel about the Johnny 5 face though.

Last edited:
Yeah i personally have never encountered weirdness on demo days, some are obviously better than others, but since the bikes themselves dont belong to the dealers, they can say ****. Usually demo days are a mix of "Im here to have fun on some bikes" and "im trying to narrow down on what i like and will purchase"

I probably wouldn't be going to a demo day to have fun anyway. I mean other than trying to take that last step before deciding to pull the trigger, only other reason I'd want to ride the bikes, is to get a feel for something I've never tried before. Like I always say I'm a strict cruiser guy, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I try a cbr and find that it fits like a glove, who knows.

Ready Yamaha is hosting the Demo Ride This Friday June 2nd. I know i had some issues with booking last time but this it went smooth. Time sheet is out and able to book R6 and FZ-09

Call to book your demo rides ..

Ready Yamaha is hosting the Demo Ride This Friday June 2nd. I know i had some issues with booking last time but this it went smooth. Time sheet is out and able to book R6 and FZ-09

Call to book your demo rides ..

Careful with that throttle on the fz haha ;)

Just got off the phone with the honda demo guy, apparently they arent bringing any sport bikes, heck not even the VFR....really setting the bar low now honda...

It's not really surprising. They only have so much room on the truck and they probably try and bring bikes that they want to encourage more sales of. Bringing a 140+hp SS bike and letting the uninitiated ride it is probably a bigger risk for them as far as liability etc than bringing the more milder bikes in their line up. Also, sport bikes in North America have a tendency to sell based on their spread sheet numbers and wins in racing. 99.99% of the potential buyers of these bikes have no where near the level of skill to be able to actually judge the performance of the bike yet most (if they manage to hold on to their license) will want to "upgrade" to the latest/greatest claiming that their 3yr old SS bike "lacks power". I'm certain Honda has a fairly easy time selling CBR's just going by the number of them I see on the roads. I'm guessing that Honda is more interested in encouraging someone to try a bike like the Africa Twin, the VFR1200X, the NC750x, the 500 line etc in the hopes that they will be pleasantly surprised and consider buying one.

Honda hasnt come up with an exciting bike in years...(not including the Africa twin)

If yamaha/suzuki/ducati etc can bring their 'cool' bikes around they must know something honda doesnt.

Back
Top Bottom