How many with OFTR membership? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How many with OFTR membership?

I had an OFTR / SCORRA membership last year. Have not renewed yet. Considering only buying a Ganny pass but have never been. Any thoughts / comments on one vs. the other?
Its-Huge-meme-43564.jpg

I think it goes more like ... you cannot become SCORRA member without OFTR membership ($96 bucks for OFTR+SCORRA is 50/50 deal, sort of). OFTR alone gives you access to some trails. These would be I guess trails under no-club's jurisdiction ...

You do not need OFTR for Ganny.

You can ride the SCORRA trails with any OFTR membership. I.e. I can ride them with my OFTR + ODSC membership.

Well that doesn't negate what I said abbut the SCORRA membership ... Regarding trails access, you are absolutely right. If trail access is the only thing you need, it will work.

Last edited:
Basically you buy an oftr membership then select which local (ish) club to support. I usually pay the extra $10 to support ODSC as well as scorra. The only real advantage to joining scorra is to access trail maps and files, otherwise any oftr member can ride there.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I think ODSC and OFTR should merge somehow and then we would have an option to buy a membership for OFTR without any local group support (or with it if we choose to).

It's not about the extra 10 bucks but the confusion the system creates. They could still charge $10 extra if you don't support any of the clubs.

Having ODSC and OFTR as 2 seperate entities is a bit redundant. The other clubs, that have patronage over tracts of land, make more sense since they deal with local issues.

OFTR needs to have a forum and ODSC could be that forum.

I'd be very curious to see the membership numbers for each of the clubs by the way. Does anyone know if that information is released anywhere at all?

I support SCORRA and buy a year pass to the Ganny. I wish HORRA was bigger and had more say having lived in Halton my whole life we used to have lots of places to ride, mind you they were all illegal but it's how I learned to ride and now I fully support the sport and the industry. Just wished we could fight and win some spots to ride in Halton.

Having ODSC and OFTR as 2 seperate entities is a bit redundant. The other clubs, that have patronage over tracts of land, make more sense since they deal with local issues.

OFTR needs to have a forum and ODSC could be that forum.

I agree. It's a bit difficult to understand why there's a need for two distinct orgs.

SCORRA, besides maps, trail maintenance, background discussions with Simcoe county to insure happiness on both ends a. I learned lso organizes exclusive events for their members and all of them are fun added value. So, for me it's a no-brainer to support them. I learned that very quickly last year.

The Ontario Federation of Trail Riders oversees and maintains all ontario trail systems through member clubs.
The Ontario dual sport club is just that, a dual sport club. They have no trails(theoretically) to maintain and little to do with government issues. They were also around before the oftr.
The two clubs are vastly different and do different things for Ontario riders.

So ODSC does exactly what? Organizes some rides for its members I assume?

There's no need for an Ontario wide organization and an Ontario wide club as well as numerous regional clubs. It should be all one. There's not enough off-road riders out there to be so broken up. Since OFTR membership is needed to ride on all of the tracts and ODSC organizes its own rides, why couldn't they function together? It would make Ontario stronger.

After giving it a bit of a thought, I also believe that everyone who joins OFTR, should support one of the clubs that maintain a tract. In return, the clubs should share all their info and events with all OFTR members. In a way, ODSC takes away money from clubs with trails because many people opt for ODSC since it's the cheapest way to join OFTR.

Then if ODSC and OFTR were one, they could still use a small portion of their share of money to organize events.

There's no need for an Ontario wide organization and an Ontario wide club as well as numerous regional clubs. It should be all one. There's not enough off-road riders out there to be so broken up. Since OFTR membership is needed to ride on all of the tracts and ODSC organizes its own rides, why couldn't they function together? It would make Ontario stronger.

After giving it a bit of a thought, I also believe that everyone who joins OFTR, should support one of the clubs that maintain a tract. In return, the clubs should share all their info and events with all OFTR members. In a way, ODSC takes away money from clubs with trails because many people opt for ODSC since it's the cheapest way to join OFTR.

Then if ODSC and OFTR were one, they could still use a small portion of their share of money to organize events.
As long as they are paying to support OFTR/SCORRA/ODSC or any of the other regional clubs. There are still many people too cheap to pay and want everything free and give nothing in return.

I would leave it to OFTR and the other regional clubs to manage how best to distribute the funds appropriately, I am sure they have reasons for why it is the way it is.

If you want to help or make suggestions, go to the annual general meeting (AGM), work for them or do some volunteering if possible. It is impossible to please everyone riding areas are disappearing all the time, these clubs are fighting and maintaining the trails to keep us riding. Also they are organizing events to keep people interested.

Ganny is better though and it is also my favorite.

If you want to see what the oftr membership does for you, go to the Algonquin 2 day or the Soggy Boot trail ride etc. The trail ride series events are awesome, way better riding than a day at Ganny. Fully marked routes, awesome water crossings etc, and always sweep riders if you need help. I've met some awesome people and had the best times at these events. The whole trail ride series is amazing and they put a ton of work into route planning and so on.
To simply join the club and go ride around in the forest is not the best way to get the most of your membership.

If you want to see what the oftr membership does for you, go to the Algonquin 2 day or the Soggy Boot trail ride etc. The trail ride series events are awesome, way better riding than a day at Ganny. Fully marked routes, awesome water crossings etc, and always sweep riders if you need help. I've met some awesome people and had the best times at these events. The whole trail ride series is amazing and they put a ton of work into route planning and so on.
To simply join the club and go ride around in the forest is not the best way to get the most of your membership.

Are those events off road only as in green plate only bike?

Iceman posted this info here.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=1934&share_type=t&share_pid=2470474

I'll just leave this here.<br />
35076a7286f0d9e942a52313a0b8019d.jpg
<br />
<br />

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=1934&share_type=t&share_pid=2471643

For anyone interested in the trail ride series instead of competition. The Algonquin 2 day and the Soggy Boot are both awesome.
07c3344cf7c82f46db......

Last edited:
The trail ride series is open to both, green and blue plate. With my green plated bikes I've had to walk it a block or two a couple times for legal reasons but it's pretty rare.

Yeah, I guess at least we do have some sort of organization in here. There are places out there where no one at all cares about the riders.
As for Ganaraska, I know it's large but I don't like being stuck with one tract only so I'll go with OFTR. Plus I do like the fact that they at least try to push our agenda.

Last edited:
I've been to most SCORRA area tracts and didn't find the trails to be particularly well maintained any time I went. I'm not expecting groomed MX trails but the times I went there have been a number of fallen trees completely blocking trails. I have no idea who maintains the trails or how often, just curious where the money goes. Some trails are well marked and others very poorly. I'm not a fan of social events really so they dont mean much to me; much prefer riding alone and on trails I want (dry, no water / mud). I think I may try Ganny this year. I only get out there maybe 10x a season anyhow.

Depending on the size of tree it may have been intentionally placed there. I love hoping over trees.....until I can't.

I've been to most SCORRA area tracts and didn't find the trails to be particularly well maintained any time I went. I'm not expecting groomed MX trails but the times I went there have been a number of fallen trees completely blocking trails. I have no idea who maintains the trails or how often, just curious where the money goes. Some trails are well marked and others very poorly. I'm not a fan of social events really so they dont mean much to me; much prefer riding alone and on trails I want (dry, no water / mud). I think I may try Ganny this year. I only get out there maybe 10x a season anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom