Anyone recommend a vet in the West end? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone recommend a vet in the West end?

LiNK666

I moved to the West end. Etobicoke north Vaughan or Brampton. Need a good vet. Can anyone recommend one?

We always used Renforth Vet Clinic near Eglinton and Renforth for our cat. Map shows they moved down to Renforth and Burnhamthorpe.

Service was was always good with no issues.

I have used Dr. Schultz at Woodbridge Animal Hospital 5731 Hwy. 7 just west of Hwy. 27. Nice vet. 905-856-7387

We always used Renforth Vet Clinic near Eglinton and Renforth for our cat. Map shows they moved down to Renforth and Burnhamthorpe.

Service was was always good with no issues.
They did move. The old mall they were in was torn down/ being torn down for townhouses.

And iirc there is only a church at that corner. I *think* they moved to 666 Burnhamthorpe. At Mill Rd/ Saturn Dr. There's an LCBO there.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Last edited:
I have used Dr. Schultz at Woodbridge Animal Hospital 5731 Hwy. 7 just west of Hwy. 27. Nice vet. 905-856-7387
Heard good things about ^^^
There's also Napa Valley Pet Hospital not too far from them, which some of my friends use.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Thanks guys. I'm trying to find a vet that is comfortable with a large dog. I moved recently to brampton and my dog has been throwing up periodically over last four weeks. I took her to the a vet last weekend and the vet didn't even want to get close to the dog. She seemed scared... dog wasn't hostile, barking or aggressive. Vet said it's probably acidity but I'm sure it wasn't. Big waste of money seeing that vet.

My dog is getting older so looking to find an experienced vet that is good with siberian husky. She was throwing up last night again.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to find a vet that is comfortable with a large dog. I moved recently to brampton and my dog has been throwing up periodically over last four weeks. I took her to the a vet last weekend and the vet didn't even want to get close to the dog. She seemed scared... dog wasn't hostile, barking or aggressive. Vet said it's probably acidity but I'm sure it wasn't. Big waste of money seeing that vet.

My dog is getting older so looking to find an experienced vet that is good with siberian husky. She was throwing up last night again.
She probably ate something around the yard or outside. Let her vomit to get rid of whatever. Replenish her fluids. Give her some milk.

Edit: I hope she didn't swallow a large toy

She probably ate something around the yard or outside. Let her vomit to get rid of whatever. Replenish her fluids. Give her some milk.

Edit: I hope she didn't swallow a large toy

She's been doing once a week every week for the last four weeks so I'm concerned now. Watching her diet carefully.

Good point about the vet being scared. Call clinics with a good rep and tell them about your experience& that you weren't happy. The receptionist should offer to ask the vet(s) and confirm that they have facilities to suit a large dog. Let them call you back if they can't talk to the very right away or haven't had big dogs recently. I'll ask around for recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Changed diet recently? Allergies?

I know a very good vet Pickering way. Has access to one of the best orthopaedic animal surgeons in GTA and with generally lower prices too. Pm me for details. I took my dog there from Kingston for surgery and everything went really well.

Get an X-ray. Might have a blockage.

A friend 's husky passed away from a piece of corn cob. Not sure where they got it. They didn't feed it to them. Autopsy provided cause of death.

Of course, just because my friend's dog died from that, doesn't mean your dog has a similar issue. But some blood work and X-ray can rule out somethings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend 's husky passed away from a piece of corn cob. Not sure where they got it. They didn't feed it to them. Autopsy provided cause of death.

Of course, just because my friend's dog died from that, doesn't mean your dog has a similar issue. But some blood work and X-ray can rule out somethings.

I was told by a vet that corn cobs can be very bad. They are just the right size to block things in the stomach/gi tract. Take the kernels off the corn cob if your dog likes them.

Good point about the vet being scared. Call clinics with a good rep and tell them about your experience& that you weren't happy. The receptionist should offer to ask the vet(s) and confirm that they have facilities to suit a large dog. Let them call you back if they can't talk to the very right away or haven't had big dogs recently. I'll ask around for recommendations.

That's good advice. I'll be sure to do that. Going to research some clinics now. I think I may have found a good one in the west brampton.

Changed diet recently? Allergies?

I know a very good vet Pickering way. Has access to one of the best orthopaedic animal surgeons in GTA and with generally lower prices too. Pm me for details. I took my dog there from Kingston for surgery and everything went really well.

I may take you up on that. I don't mind the distance, but it's hard with a siberian husky that's hyper. 8yrs old and still has the energy of a pup. Not a good long distance car rider.

I'll be sure to do that. I changed up all her food today including treats. She eats and poops regularly without issues. If it continues I'll take her to an experienced vet.

What I'm noticing is that a lot of the old vets that retired sold there practice to a younger that comes in raises prices and starts upselling. They are doing it based on the reputation that the clinic built up over the years. 7/10 are probably routine check ups in and out. The complicated cases where they don't have experience is what they are messing up on.

Everyone wants quick money these days... Skills are fading away.

Not necessarily upselling, although it does happen. Modern vet care uses the same tests and equipment as human medicine without the insurance so you see the whole cost. The digital xray machine alone is several hundred thousand dollars and "new" to vet clinics in the last 10 years. Also, nobody wants to raise prices so the retired vets just didn't for a (long) time before they sold. Now it feels like a jump but is actually accounting for increases in insurance, wages, etc. that were deferred from the past owner.

Probably a bit late but you never know for future issues...pet insurance has worked out very well for us. Our two dogs are insured and have been since we got them. One guy had ACL issues and the insurance paid for 80% of his surgery costs and continued pain meds (he's on them for life). He's also torn his side and needed an emerg visit to have that sewn up...mostly covered again. We have come out ahead in terms of coverage costs. It won't help for whatever this particular issue is as pre existing conditions aren't covered but it may be worth thinking about.

West Brampton? Try Dr Atul at the small vet clinic on Mississauga Road between Williams Parkway and Bovaird ... the building that looks out of place among all the new development that has surrounded it. That clinic has been there for as long as I can remember.

Slightly off topic but just how big is your husky? Aren't they smaller than labs?

I moved recently to brampton and my dog has been throwing up periodically over last four weeks. She was throwing up last night again.
Is she eating ok otherwise?
Drinking/pissing a lot?
I love Dr. Sohi at Lakeridge Animal Hospital on Vodden/Dixie area. Been going to him for 15+ years. My biggest dog was 85-90 lbs at his heaviest. He has tons of experience and no problem with larger breeds. He has performed numerous surgeries for my dogs...when you have 4 of them you obviously need a vet you can trust to:
1) Not over-spend your cash- he is great at balancing the 'need' for treatments and comprehensive tests vs the 'let's do this simple thing and we'll wait and see'. Especially when his treatment will be the same, regardless of test results.
2) Be GREAT at his job. He really appreciates when you take the time to read up on stuff and has no problem going into details and discussing/explaining stuff. He actually really likes it when you are pro-active and learn about the issues. He stays up to date on the latest treatments and has performed some major surgeries on my dogs- the last one being over 2 hours long to remove some large fatty tumors.
3) Have a great team around him. His staff are awesome. I had my old guy in there for a few days of IV fluids (kidney issues) and decided to stop in unannounced to see how he was doing...my dog was in the back pen area sleeping with a small blanket over him, obviously placed by someone who gives a **** about the animals.
He is a VERY kind and compassionate man, but he doesn't sugar coat anything though...i like that- some might find it too direct...he kinda terrifies my Mum. He'll say "we will try/test this, and if that doesn't work- we'll do this" and Mum will hear- "after this doesn't work, we'll do this." She'd rather have some sugar on the immediate info then deal with the outcome one step at a time, where i want as much info as possible from the start.
She goes to Peel Veterinary Clinic at the Fortino's/McDonald's mall at Airport/Bovaird.
I really like her guy too. He is a really, really kind man.

Hope your pup is doing better!

Back
Top Bottom