Lets talk dashcams. (False speeding accusation) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lets talk dashcams. (False speeding accusation)

I have no clue what this means. But it sounds nasty.

I saw you posted in the thread and thought to myself he won't have a clue what it means before I opened it.

I saw you posted in the thread and thought to myself he won't have a clue what it means before I opened it.
Lolz
I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing! ?

Sent from the Purple Zone

Haha, it's getting to be a few years since that fiasco.

I'm guessing the original poster's issue involves Cobourg or maybe Port Hope, because in both cases, the official routing of highway 2 through downtown is a pain, and to get to the industrial areas near the lakeshore you are stuck with using a piece of highway 2, even if most of the way there is on 401. I have a customer in Cobourg and I bypass downtown, too ... possibly on the same route. My unmarked company car blends in more than a 53 foot trailer, though ...

Any good company should dismiss such accusations unless they're backed by evidence.

Oh, I wasn't punished nor could I be as there is indeed zero evidence, but they didn't automatically discount the report as false either, and that's the **** that bothers me.

that secret road is getting a special sign this year.

Please point those of us not in on the secret to the related thread. ;)

Anyhow, about an hour ago I had an epiphany – the answer to what I needed was right under my nose the entire time – my iPhone.

Sure enough I hit the App Store and found a great (and free) dash cam app in no time flat – I installed it and set it up in seconds, jury rigged the phone to the windshield, and away I went down the street in question. The recording shows the footage from the front facing camera, a map overlay, and a telemetry readout including speed, distance, average speed, etc etc etc.

PERFECT. I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

I took a quick look on Kijiji and found a 32 gig 4S for under $50 - and the app will run on it. I'm going to pick it up tonight, install this app on it, get a suction cup mount from the dollar store and for a little over $50 I have exactly what I wanted. A second heap phone means I won't need to constantly setup my primary phone every time I need it for something else as well.

Perfect.

Please point those of us not in on the secret to the related thread. ;)

Anyhow, about an hour ago I had an epiphany – the answer to what I needed was right under my nose the entire time – my iPhone.

Sure enough I hit the App Store and found a great (and free) dash cam app in no time flat – I installed it and set it up in seconds, jury rigged the phone to the windshield, and away I went down the street in question. The recording shows the footage from the front facing camera, a map overlay, and a telemetry readout including speed, distance, average speed, etc etc etc.

PERFECT. I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

I took a quick look on Kijiji and found a 32 gig 4S for under $50 - and the app will run on it. I'm going to pick it up tonight, install this app on it, get a suction cup mount from the dollar store and for a little over $50 I have exactly what I wanted. A second heap phone means I won't need to constantly setup my primary phone every time I need it for something else as well.

Perfect.

Since you plan on keeping all of your footage for a few weeks, crank the resolution way way down. That's a lot of data to be saved to a phone with non-expandable memory.

Sure enough I hit the App Store and found a great (and free) dash cam app in no time flat –

Can you report / review the app after you've used it for a while? I'm interested in getting something set up too.
Wondering if you would have to download storage everyday and if you can view videos on your computer.

Why not just you a regular GPS, which will log your time / speed and run a cheap dashcam along with it?

Can you report / review the app after you've used it for a while? I'm interested in getting something set up too.
Wondering if you would have to download storage everyday and if you can view videos on your computer.

The first one I came across is called, simply put, "Dashcam". It works well but seems a bit quirky in some regards, some settings don't seem to save or seem to stick, for example, but it might be designed that way, I'm not sure. Yes, it does have a resolution setting and on the lowest is consumes 800 megs every 3 hours (IIRC) but I'm looking for a 32 gig iPhone which should give me several weeks of daily recordings before it starts to record over earlier recordings. This should be more than enough time to be able to go back through the clips and backup my side of the story if anyone complains again. Even a week would be enough really.

Why not just you a regular GPS, which will log your time / speed and run a cheap dashcam along with it?

Viable option, just logistically more difficult installing and removing it all every day, and 2 power plugs required that way as well. Probably tough to get it lined up somehow to make the focus work as well.

Following up.

Bought a friends old iPhone 4S 32 gig for $50. Completely factory reset it, installed only the dashcam app, turned on airplane mode, and using a $3 suction cup mount from Dollarama to mount it to the windshield.

Total investment, $53.

Currently trying out an app called "RoadAR" for the software - works well for the most part - it has road sign recognition in it even, although it appears to be designed mainly to detect Euro/overseas style signs, not ours, but I don't care too much about that feature honestly. Has a variety of size and quality configurations.

The GPS speed detection can sometimes be about 1-2 seconds behind (so I'm actually stopped but it still shows me moving at 5-10KPH for example) but I haven't yet narrowed down if that's software or hardware related. The iPhone4S is fairly long in the tooth so it could be a limitation of it's GPS.

Recorded for 8.5 hours straight yesterday with no issue. It did crash once today at about the 7 hour point, but a quick restart and it worked fine for the remaining 2.5 hours of my day.

So far I'm quite happy...and I've saved several hundred bucks.

iPhones use boththe GPS chipset and cell tower pinging. In airplane mode w. no cell SIM it's going to lag at speed.

Another vote for the DoD camera/GPS. More functions than I can ever use, great video day and night, and a variety of models to choose from. GPS versions started at $250 about 6 months ago, could be less by now. Purchased at Radioworld, awesome guys that know their products inside out.

iPhones use boththe GPS chipset and cell tower pinging. In airplane mode w. no cell SIM it's going to lag at speed.

Good point, that probably does indeed have something to do with it. Generally it's accurate enough for my needs so I'm not too worried about it.

I have a mini 801 with gps. Works well enough. You could easily do a suction cup mount instead of a stick on one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom