Lets talk dashcams. (False speeding accusation) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lets talk dashcams. (False speeding accusation)

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Someone reported me to my employer a few days for speeding in an area where I know for a fact that I was not...as it is an area where I do pay particularly close attention to my speed as it IS an area where I suspected the residents were super sensitive about that.

Long story short, it's a long country road with about a 1/4 Kilometer of residential (maybe about 10 houses on each side) at the end where it meets Highway 2. The residents thereof would prefer was a no-truck route. Currently, it's unrestricted and trucks do use it as an alternate route to avoid having to go into the downtown area of said small town.

So, sure enough, the means to their end (to convince the municipality to make it a no truck route) is apparently to report trucks for speeding, even when they're not. Needless to say given the nature of my job my company doesn't much like that, even though there's no evidence and they can't punish me for it accordingly, but it looks bad to my head office.

So, I'm in the market for a dash cam....I figure there's some knowledge to be had here, and I know there's a lot of junk on the market.

Ideally I'd like to have one that has GPS built in so that it will superimpose my speed over top of the image. Next time I get falsely accused of speeding in this area (and knowing what I now know, it's inevitable it's going to happen again) I want to be able to pull up the footage and show that the residents reporting me are full of crap.

I know the GPS requirement puts me into a whole different price range (unfortunately), but I'm looking for suggestions.

Someone reported me to my employer a few days for speeding in an area where I know for a fact that I was not...as it is an area where I do pay particularly close attention to my speed as it IS an area where I suspected the residents were super sensitive about that.

Long story short, it's a long country road with about a 1/4 Kilometer of residential (maybe about 10 houses on each side) at the end where it meets Highway 2. The residents thereof would prefer was a no-truck route. Currently, it's unrestricted and trucks do use it as an alternate route to avoid having to go into the downtown area of said small town.

So, sure enough, the means to their end (to convince the municipality to make it a no truck route) is apparently to report trucks for speeding, even when they're not. Needless to say given the nature of my job my company doesn't much like that, even though there's no evidence and they can't punish me for it accordingly, but it looks bad to my head office.

So, I'm in the market for a dash cam....I figure there's some knowledge to be had here, and I know there's a lot of junk on the market.

Ideally I'd like to have one that has GPS built in so that it will superimpose my speed over top of the image. Next time I get falsely accused of speeding in this area (and knowing what I now know, it's inevitable it's going to happen again) I want to be able to pull up the footage and show that the residents reporting me are full of crap.

I know the GPS requirement puts me into a whole different price range (unfortunately), but I'm looking for suggestions.

Inreb reported you.
You did the crime man, so do the time.

look at blackboxmycar
CDN site, good products and support there

The FineVu T9 is a nice setup...no GPS, you can add it BUT you can simply point the rear camera at your GPS or dash/speedo directly if you wanted to.
Front camera points at road and rear camera points at you and your GPS, then no doubt.

Playback is simple and it will playback both front and rear at same time or separately.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that it needs to be easily installed and removed every day - I unfortunately do not have an assigned tractor on my current run so I operate different equipment every day. I don't want anything that goes beyond "stick suction cup on windshield, plug in, push button" type setup.

I know that using a 2 camera model pointing at the dash or speedo would be simplest, but I do not want to record the interior of the cab - I have seen that footage used against drivers who showed the front video in court, only to have the other persons lawyer cherry pick something from the inside view and use it as counter evidence.

I've heard positive things about Garmin and PapaGo. Both around the ~$250 mark but really solid cameras. I've been using a $65 Amazon special for years now with no complaints, but when it packs it in I'll be switching to one of them.

Also what street is this? It would good to avoid/maybe when the time is right fly by at the top end of first at 5 in the morning.

Yes, everything with GPS seems to be in the north of $200 price range...but I was hoping someone had found a steal somewhere on an off brand or something that did the job but at a lower price.

As for the exact location...I thought about posting it, but decided it's unwise. It's a small town with all the usual small town busybodies (hence people staring at passing vehicles and collecting company names and unit numbers solely to do crap like this), so in the end it has the potential to just kick a hornets nest that I'd rather not deal with.

If I get reported again I just want be able to show the video, discredit them, and the problem will go away for good.

I had the same thing recently. Citizen claims I was speeding, swerving, erratic lane changes etc in a loaded cement truck no less. Get called in to talk to the boss but he says our "trakit" systems show I never got past 82km/h with 2 lane changes in a 25km route. Thanks boss.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The cameras I use don't fit any of your requirements (they have permanent mounting plates and no gps - but you can hook up a gps somehow)

I have them front and rear in my car. Of course, as soon as I put them in, it seems everyone around me behaves well. No incidents worthy of note in the 1 year and probably 60,000+ km I have with them running

I never worried about the gps speed, I figure worst case I could argue based on the time between obstacles or markings and getting speed that way

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00RFJ4ISO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the same thing recently. Citizen claims I was speeding, swerving, erratic lane changes etc in a loaded cement truck no less. Get called in to talk to the boss but he says our "trakit" systems show I never got past 82km/h with 2 lane changes in a 25km route. Thanks boss.

My company uses portable handhelds for dispatch and communication, and I know they do GPS tracking, but based on what I've seen it's very coarse data, certainly not kilometer by kilometer type data that could be useful in a situation like this.

I never worried about the gps speed, I figure worst case I could argue based on the time between obstacles or markings and getting speed that way

Problem is the height of a semi distorts actual vs perceived speed from the cab view. Most people that ride in one for the first time feel like they're only going 40-50KPH when the truck is actually moving at 100 on the highway. In the case of another accusation I don't want to have to get into measuring distances between driveways and calculating speed based on the video accordingly, or anything like that - I want it plain and simple on the screen.

People tend to perceive the speed of a truck from the ground (based on size and noise levels) as faster than actual speed, in addition..which leads to situations like this even when there's no underlying malice intended.

Much like iceman's cement truck example, why wouldn't a high end gps suffice?
You could get whatever the top motorcycle gps is these days and use a ram suction cup mount to move it from cab to cab, cab to bike, etc.

Yes, everything with GPS seems to be in the north of $200 price range...but I was hoping someone had found a steal somewhere on an off brand or something that did the job but at a lower price.

As for the exact location...I thought about posting it, but decided it's unwise. It's a small town with all the usual small town busybodies (hence people staring at passing vehicles and collecting company names and unit numbers solely to do crap like this), so in the end it has the potential to just kick a hornets nest that I'd rather not deal with.

If I get reported again I just want be able to show the video, discredit them, and the problem will go away for good.

Some friends were in the habit of flying model airplanes in a local park. Very soon after they started the police would show up due to a noise complaint, far too soon. So one day they just showed up and let the lanes sit on the ground, no engines running and again the police showed up due to a noise complaint.

Obviously some grumpy turd had nothing better to do than cal the police but why didn't the cops charge the caller with abuse of the system, false charges etc?

It is very possible that you will get the same treatment. Not in my back yard itis

I have DOD LS460(outdated now) for 2 years, so far so good. Recordings are good in day/night. GPS works fine, desktop software is easy to use(right, it needs a DOD software to watch the video with GPS mapping, otherwise just open the file with media player).

get DOD dash cam from https://www.costco.ca/dash-cams.html
Costco offer bundles(with SD card) and it applies their return policy. And membership is not needed if shopping on Costco.ca

I would say BlackVue is overpriced. Nothing stands out from others, they don't even have a screen on it. you need to operate it over smartphone every time.

Thanks. The wife and I area headed out to B&D liquidations in Cobourg tomorrow - they liquidate Costco returns and the last I was there 3-4 weeks ago I remember seeing some dashcams. Wasn't in the market then, but I'll looksee what they have tomorrow.

Great reason to take that route more often ,after a dozen calls the company will get it.

One of my managers solutions to the issue was simply to not drive that route anymore. That means backtracking and then going through the downtown area of the town in question. Not a big deal in a car, but in a truck, at a 4 corner intersection of Highway 2 and cars parked everywhere, it's more of a PITA with a 70 foot long truck. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 minutes to get a break big enough to make the turn...and by then I have 8-10 cars lined up behind me all losing patience.

It also means having the tactics in play by the persons in question working for them - to make the municipality further demonize trucks and likely eventually make yet yet another road a no-truck route without justification.

And yes, me personally, it makes me want to drive this route more to prove my point and discredit the complainers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to be a jerk - I drive respectfully when in residential areas - within the speed limit, as quietly as possible (higher gear and low RPM vs a low gear with the engine screaming) and I avoid using my jake brake which is the ultimate in truck driver idiocy when in a residential area.

But this situation does burn my ***.

Sounds like the municipality should make *that* the designated truck route.

Sounds like that street needs a Scarborough Crew Secret Road designation.

I have a cheap eBay 1080p one. It works really well but no GPS. Accusations like that are the reason a lot of companies have gone to DriveCam and satellite tracking. There's a slew of cases where the DriveCam has vindicated the driver in accidents. Any good company should dismiss such accusations unless they're backed by evidence.

Sounds like that street needs a Scarborough Crew Secret Road designation.
I have no clue what this means. But it sounds nasty.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Back
Top Bottom