Insurance went up. Question about switching | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance went up. Question about switching

TD stock has taken a hit since the CBC story about their up selling practices.

Upon further research turns out they also sued/harrased a 78 year old lady, after she was scammed out of the money she borrowed from them.

Ofcourse after the news got wind of this and confronted TD, they were only too happy to 'offer help' or 'forgive the debt'

Cocksuckers.

I didnt have a positive experience with them, cant remember exactly but i was quoted at like 4000 for a ninja 300.(Andy singh)

Statefarm gave me 1300$. Quite a difference eh?

eventually i got with paul south who gave me a decent quote for my bike(cbr500)

You think you have it bad with the VFR, i got an all state guy telling me the R3 is a sport bike at a whopping 300cc!
After he told me i need to bring my car/house with the bike if they are going to insure me at all

Then he double checks and tells me he cant because they dont insure unless you've had your M for x number of years and continuous insurance coverage.

I was new back then.

Sounds about right.

7 years ago, I was quoted $3500 (in one payment) for liability only on a cbr125. It was my first year. Was told my at-fault claim in a car did not effect my premium (I think it was Intact at the time -Edit: Not Intact, but the company that Intact bought.... Can't remember the name).

I had a similar experience with AllState when I tried to get a quote for the CBR125. Since it was a "Sportbike", it was "too much for them"....

I'm now paying ~$3,150 for full coverage on car insurance, liability+fire and theft on the N300, and condo insurance.
The bike insurance amounts to around $650/yr from what I remember. I'm with DesJardin and they are still considering my car accident from 7 years ago to calculate my premium. I was told they look at the past 10 years of claims history, but goes down at the 6 year mark.

Hmmmm. So how would that solve, or prevent in the future, what I am currently going through?

My record, and all the insurance people I'm calling can clearly see that my insurance has found me 0% at fault for my motorcycle accident. But they can also see that the insurance company of the car that hit me has me as being 20% at fault.
Even though my insurance clearly states I'm 0% at fault, I am being quoted for being 20% at fault because, as the guy at TD put it, they go with whatever makes my record look worse.

So even if I had the letter of experience from my company showing I'm 0% at fault, they would still quote me for what the other insurance company is saying.

Unless the rules have changed, I thought insurance companies couldn't raise your rate from an accident unless you're found 50%+ at fault..

Last edited:
That's interesting, i was told by statefarm (and many others) that car doesn't affect motorcycle(at least not accidents, speeding might be different)

I think Desjardins or statefarm or whatever theyre called now days are just ripping you off bro

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

So here is the update/rant:

I took last Thursday and Friday off to try and remedy this and spent the past week trying to resolve this and haven't really gotten anywhere. :(

I cannot find any other insurance companies that will give me a quote because the At-fault, the partially at-fault (the 20% BS), and the 15kph speeding ticket make me "high risk". They have all said without that 20% they'd be able to quote me. Kinda ridiculous considering the almost 18 years of continuous insurance, 1 at fault claim in all those years, being 35 and having full GM license for awhile now. Never missed a payment. Never had insurance cancelled.

Anyways, I call the adjusters for Intact/Novex who keep "looking into it" to try and resolve this 20% at fault discrepancy. They suggested I hold off on the letter of experience till it's resolved. I'm promised a follow up so I wait.
After no follow ups I call back on Monday and get a really nice dude who is ready to help. He takes my e-mail address and on Tuesday sends me an e-mail with a copy of the report where it lists: Autoplus is showing this for 0% fault - confirmed thru Guidewire rating and messages.

So I call start calling other insurance companies and they can still see the 20% at fault under "other losses" that the other insurance company has entered. They ask me to supply a letter of experience.

So I call my broker and ask for the LOE and she says Intact won't supply a Letter of Experience unless I'm leaving the province.

So I call back the adjusters at Intact/Novex who are now saying, there's nothing they can do to fix the 20% rating the other insurance company has entered. Get a "Letter of experience". I explain to them that my broker says she cannot because Intact won't give me one unless I'm leaving the province. They say that doesn't sound correct and if the broker explains the situation I should be able to get one.

So I call my broker back and tell her what the adjusters said and that I absolutely need a Letter of Experience and I won't stop till I get one because this 20% ******** is gonna **** me for the next 10 years. She says she'll try again. I then ask her again if there is nothing she can do to find me a cheaper insurance. She says no she checked. I say "Even if you move the bike to a completely different insurance company? Cause Echelon has quoted me much less!"
She says: "Oh yeah, why didn't I think about moving the bike to another company?" :banghead: (yeah, I know. I need to find another broker but no matter how often I ask the receptionist for another broker they insist on sending me to her. I guess I need to speak to a supervisor or something to have me switched over to another broker)

So that is where I am currently at after over a wekk of emails and phone calls. I am waiting to get a Letter of Experience as suggested by Intact Novex though my Dalton Timmis broker says Intact Novex won't give me one, but she's trying.
I cannot speak to another broker at Dalton Timmis because the receptionists keep sending me to this particular one cause she handles my policy, though she is "very busy" and she can't even quote my bike on another policy till NEXT WEEK.

I have received numerous PM's from brokers however I only reached out to Mitchel and Whale because why go through all the questions and explanations with other brokers when they will just ask for the Letter which I'm trying to get anyways.

Also, I received the renewal paperwork not even a month in advance and so much of this has been waiting and a waste of my time my policy renews in 10 days and no one is moving their ***** fast enough no matter what I try!

I can TOTALLY get why people ride/drive without insurance. I have always thought of them as crooks, but this level of incompetence is staggering.

I'll spend the rest of the evening looking into the complaint process to the ombudsman.

So here is another update:

Started the process with the Obudsman. They called me and spoke with me about the situation. After I told them what has been happening up to this point they apologized and told me that the adjusters that said they couldn't fix the error were wrong and they'll look into it. As well, the broker that said I couldn't get the letter of experience was mistaken. As of Friday I received the Letter from them, which happened to also be the last day I had before the policy renewed. The error with the 20% at fault showing is still being addressed.

I also asked the Obudsman to reevaluate my policy to tell me why it's so goddamn high. After a day or so they called back and said it's because I moved from outside of the city to downtown in October. I told them that's incorrect I did the opposite. (moved from downtown core of TO to North York) they say well then it went up cause you left the core and moved to North York. :rolleyes:
Also my VFR is a sport bike according to them and all their rates for Sport bikes went up.

My broker finally got me a different quote from a different company for the VFR and it is lower by $500

...and I'm getting rid of the Infiniti and getting something cheaper to save money there too.

Thanks Insurance companies for this fubar.

On a serious note, to any insurance person that read this and messaged me thanks for your help and offers for help. For most the 20% at fault error and the lack of a letter of experience made moving to another company quite impossible.

Last edited:
That's interesting, i was told by statefarm (and many others) that car doesn't affect motorcycle(at least not accidents, speeding might be different)

I think Desjardins or statefarm or whatever theyre called now days are just ripping you off bro

If you are referring to @Plau s post, I believe the car accident affects the car insurance.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yep car affects car

Latest and most likely final update:

yesterday I received a call back from the Ombuds office. Their answer is really interesting and I think really effects everyone with insurance. I learned something new about insurance Bullshitery.

Turns out in regards to my motorcycle accident, both my insurance and the other parties insurance agree I am 0% at fault...for the property damage. However, the separate component to the claim which involves bodily injury they have decided I am 20% at fault for that. The Ombuds office is trying to get them to bring it down to 10% but they will not budge besides that.

So it turns out even if you are not at fault for an accident the insurance companies can still screw you by deciding you are at fault for other "components" of the claim.

The Ombuds office also told me that Ontario regulation 36/10 prohibits insurance companies for rating on anything below 25% at fault. So all the insurance companies I called (TD for example) and some brokers i spoke to, including some I spoke to on here, were....lets say mistaken when they rated my motorcycle accident against me, since they are prohibited to do so since it was only 20%.

So after all that I am pretty much up ***** creek. Unifund insurance, which the cager that hit me is part of, for some reason thinks I'm 20% at fault for the bodily injuries. Maybe they think it's my fault for riding a Motorcycle to begin with? Or maybe being fully geared up on a bright red motorcycle wasn't conspicuous enough? :rolleyes:

Bloody insurance companies! Is there anything they can't get away with? :mad:

Last edited:
I wonder if you have a case, at this point the canadian politeness and patience is gone, i would just ask a good lawyer if you have a case.

I like the americans in this regard, they have a suing culture and just lawyer up first chance.

that is a shitstorm if ever there was one

How the hell can you be at 0% fault for an accident and be at 20% fault for the injuries done to you?????? ...as a result of the other's negligence!

I wonder if you have a case, at this point the canadian politeness and patience is gone, i would just ask a good lawyer if you have a case.

I brought this up to the ombuds person, regarding taking it to court. She was honest enough to say it is an option to me, but she also said it may not be worth my time and money. :confused:

that is a shitstorm if ever there was one

Yeah tell me about it.

How the hell can you be at 0% fault for an accident and be at 20% fault for the injuries done to you?????? ...as a result of the other's negligence!

I know, right?!

The Ombuds person said the other insurance company (Unifund) couldn't disclose that info to them for privacy purposes. When I asked if they would tell me they said it was doubtful

is that 5k / year on just the bike ? that's WAY high ...

Turns out in regards to my motorcycle accident, both my insurance and the other parties insurance agree I am 0% at fault...for the property damage. However, the separate component to the claim which involves bodily injury they have decided I am 20% at fault for that. The Ombuds office is trying to get them to bring it down to 10% but they will not budge besides that.

:confused2:

This is completely new to me, it would be nice if some industry experts here could explain how this is not batshit insane

:confused2:

This is completely new to me, it would be nice if some industry experts here could explain how this is not batshit insane

Yeah that'd interesting to see how someone could explain how this isn't the most ridiculous thing ever.

Insurance rating systems makes 0 sense at all, at any time, ever.

A buddy of mine lives north of the city and his wife wants a new Porsche SUV.

His rate for full coverage, and $2M liability, with $1k deductibles is $68/mth.

Explain how that makes any sense at all...

In their actuarial tables, there's less chance of paying out up there? If they tell the ins. that she will drive into the city regularly, that would go up no?

Insurance is a business. They will take any excuse not to pay out.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/929163843532

And any excuse to take your money "Fraud!"

I posted a federally sanctioned study recently where it shows accident and claims have been steadily declining for years now while rates keep going up.

I am thoroughly convinced they are gambling with our money(annuities) and making us pay for their bad bets.

Anytime any group has a large pool of funds these days they try to make more money out of it via gambling(or speculating for a more technical term)

Back
Top Bottom