New to Sport bikes and this site



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: New to Sport bikes and this site

  1. #1
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    353

    New to Sport bikes and this site

    Forum Sponsor
    Have taken my time to read the stickies/pins and rules over the last few weeks. Now that I have a feel for the attitude of this group I have to say, it seems positive and very mature.

    Quick little intro of myself;
    I am 36 married with children and a clean driving record. Have always wanted a bike but my wife said "You can have one when the kids and I no longer need you" lol. Love and respect her wishes. She would even buy me models of the bike I always wanted. Long story short I am now able to get one. Have grown up on and around them but have never made the full commitment. Raced at the Elite/Professional level for both Downhill and Cross Country Mt Biking. Now I just ride for fun and fitness(Maybe I sneak 1/year and use a one day lic ). Have read allot when it comes to beginner bikes but choose not go down that discussion road as no one here really knows what skills I do or do not have. Hope to meet some on the group rides and hope to get out to the track for some Race training lessons/schools. Not looking to race but really want to drag a knee and safety enjoy the sport and enhance what I have learned over a life time of 2 wheel racing.

  2. #2
    Joe Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    da 'bridge
    Posts
    9,612

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    @Ethereal "positive and mature"? You still talking about the riff-raff that frequent GTAM? 😂
    Nah, we are a fun bunch.
    Only thing I will say is check insurance before any bike purchase.
    What part of the city are you in?
    And of course, welcome to the forum!


    Sent from the Purple Zone
    Originally Posted by inreb

    His wife would.love to tools user the tree. You know, user the tree. To tools.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    173

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    not sure what skills can help you if you never rode a bike. anyhow welcome

  4. #4
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    4,844

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Mountain biking doesn't necessarily translate to motorcycling from an experience and skills standpoint.

    And yes, call for insurance before buying anything.

    Welcome to GTAM.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---VStar 650 (Wife)
    ----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  5. #5
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    353

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Thanks guys. Totally understand that the skills do not transfer 1:1. But my ability to read lines and make quick decisions while in a anaerobic state and remain calm as I pass/brush by rocks and trees at 60km/h sure must count for something. My XC bike rides very different from my DH bike and the super sports I have taken for rips all drive different as well. This will be my first time owning one not driving one. I live on the outside edge of the GTA. Insurance quotes have been made and being on the outskirts saves ton. Will have a final quote done using the VIN before I make a payment and fully commit. Seen my share of idiots on bikes to know why beginners are steered away from starting on some bikes, some should be steered away from all bikes imo.

  6. #6
    Iceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barrie, On
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Welcome to the forum. Remember to post pics once you buy, we love pics!

    Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    I've got to stop saying "how stupid can you be?", too many people take it as a challenge!

  7. #7
    nakkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Kitt's mainly, London, ON sometimes
    Posts
    2,750

    New to Sport bikes and this site

    Welcome.

    Sounds like you've done some research and got a plan.

    I've raced BMX and a little mountain biking before getting married and starting a family. Back in the late 80s early 90s and bought a Ninja 600. By today's standards, not a lot of a machine. But it was a rocket to me. And the weight, riding position and steering geometry made for some pucker moments as I learned and gained experience.

    Get the right gear. Sounds like you have the right mind set. Just keep in mind things happen a lot faster and your reaction and adjustments may not keep you from a crash.


    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nakkers; 03-17-2017 at 10:13 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    scarborough
    Posts
    197

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Welcome!

  9. #9
    boyoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Riding on the street...is ok. You sound like a guy who might better enjoy buying a track bike right from the get go. No insurance premiums, and safer than street riding. There are track day providers offering dozens of different track days. I can tell you are competitive and want to safely and smartly explore a bikes limit. You could/should take a 1-3 day all inclusive school at a track to start. They can supply everything - just show up. There are track bikes for sale in the thread "where are all the end of season track bike deals ". The thread has been running for months.

    Multiple world champion freddie spencer never had a road licence or owned a street bike. You don't have to ride on the street, when your true desire is to go to the track. On the other hand, a dirt bike is still the best bang for your buck. Welcome to the gta site.
    Last edited by boyoboy; 03-18-2017 at 04:57 AM.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

  10. #10

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy View Post
    Riding on the street...is ok. You sound like a guy who might better enjoy buying a track bike right from the get go. No insurance premiums, and safer than street riding. There are track day providers offering dozens of different track days. I can tell you are competitive and want to safely and smartly explore a bikes limit. You could/should take a 1-3 day all inclusive school at a track to start. They can supply everything - just show up. There are track bikes for sale in the thread "where are all the end of season track bike deals ". The thread has been running for months.

    Multiple world champion freddie spencer never had a road licence or owned a street bike. You don't have to ride on the street, when your true desire is to go to the track. On the other hand, a dirt bike is still the best bang for your buck. Welcome to the gta site.

    Sounds to me like you'd enjoy riding something like a dual sport or supermoto. Especially living outside of the gta with some fun roads and areas to explore. I went the sport bike route to start after having a lot of motocross and mountain bike experience and ended up on a supermoto for the past few years. Really enjoying it.

    Maybe even a naked like the fz 07 or 09 so you can do longer rides. Never enjoyed the riding position of any of the supersports I owned. I'd ride one at the track but it didn't do anything for me on the street. Goodluck! I think you'll do just fine on the road.

  11. #11

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

    Quick little intro of myself;
    I am 36 married with children and a clean driving record..
    Well you can kiss that clean driving record away. Say hello to throttle heroin.

  12. #12
    Neil_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    I know you don't want to go the small beginner bike route and that's fine; I'll just say you'll develop your skills quicker on something small vs. something that gets scary when pushed. Make the steps 1 season at a time. Big difference between your experience, topping out at 60kph, and hitting it halfway through first.... plus, if you're really keen on being quick, you're going to fall down, I promise. Wreck the small cheap bike imho..
    Last edited by Neil_V; 03-19-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC

  13. #13
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    353

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Thanks for the feed back guys!!!! Believe me it is not falling on def ears.

    The reason for not going for a smaller bike first is the insurance quote I have gotten only costs me $25/month more for the bike I want vs a bike I do not. As much as it sounds like all track is my goal this is to be used as my daily commuter to work. I currently pay $600/month in gas to fuel my truck and the bike will cut that cost while providing me a enjoyable time. Once I get the finale quote, if things have changed($ going insanely up like I saw during my research) since last quoted last month a the R3 may be my temp bike option. If you guys know a better 300cc super sport bike like riding style bike I am all ears. I know you guys may think my 60km/h on a Mt. bike seems petty but at that speed I am threading a needle inches from obstacles that can stop me dead in my tracks and have I have had my share of those crashes to know who my maker is. Have seen many videos of guys lane split in high traffic and that would be the best description/comparison of the room for error I had while airing into corners on my bike. I understand that the speeds will be higher but its all relative to the environment/conditions. 300km/h and nothing in-front of you does not take any skill. I do expect to drop my bike, but not where others or myself could be harmed or killed. A long life with my wife and kids is my priority, but I also cant live every day in fear and fully respect the power these bikes have. Really do look forward the meeting some riders as my friends with bikes are all in Quebec.

  14. #14
    El Cockblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Location, Location!
    Posts
    1,417

    New to Sport bikes and this site

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Thanks for the feed back guys!!!! Believe me it is not falling on def ears.

    The reason for not going for a smaller bike first is the insurance quote I have gotten only costs me $25/month more for the bike I want vs a bike I do not. As much as it sounds like all track is my goal this is to be used as my daily commuter to work. I currently pay $600/month in gas to fuel my truck and the bike will cut that cost while providing me a enjoyable time. Once I get the finale quote, if things have changed($ going insanely up like I saw during my research) since last quoted last month a the R3 may be my temp bike option. If you guys know a better 300cc super sport bike like riding style bike I am all ears. I know you guys may think my 60km/h on a Mt. bike seems petty but at that speed I am threading a needle inches from obstacles that can stop me dead in my tracks and have I have had my share of those crashes to know who my maker is. Have seen many videos of guys lane split in high traffic and that would be the best description/comparison of the room for error I had while airing into corners on my bike. I understand that the speeds will be higher but its all relative to the environment/conditions. 300km/h and nothing in-front of you does not take any skill. I do expect to drop my bike, but not where others or myself could be harmed or killed. A long life with my wife and kids is my priority, but I also cant live every day in fear and fully respect the power these bikes have. Really do look forward the meeting some riders as my friends with bikes are all in Quebec.
    Welcome to the forum, you're on the right track with your mindset, but...





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by El Cockblock; 03-20-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Bend the rules. Rule the bends.

  15. #15

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    I'm new here too, but not to riding motorcycles.

    Not trying to be discouraging, but other than the balance aspect learned from riding a bicycle,
    which is a completely sub-conscious activity, I can't think of much that transfers to riding a motorcycle on the street.

    I imagine you've had a car, and if it has a manual transmission there's more synergy there to riding a motorcycle than you'd get from a bicycle

    I'd suggest slowing down on the ideas of dragging knees and stuff, take an NSF course and see where your skill level ends up before buying anything

  16. #16
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    353

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Quote Originally Posted by El Cockblock View Post
    Welcome to the forum, you're on the right track with your mindset, but...


    [img]https://imgur.com/a/AMbZh.jpg[img]


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Let me know what things you think I may have missed. To help support saving costs, I do all my own mech work from replacing engines to tranny rebuilds. Have a full shop and I added in the extra cost of insurance to my cost/km. All my math to date supports the savings. As long a I do not use more the 70L/ month in gas I should be ok. ALso Have a DZ lic, manual transmissions are not an issue

    For your img to work you need to add a .jpg before the last [img]
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-20-2017 at 02:25 PM.

  17. #17
    El Cockblock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Location, Location!
    Posts
    1,417

    New to Sport bikes and this site

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Let me know what things you think I may have missed. To help support saving costs, I do all my own mech work from replacing engines to tranny rebuilds. Have a full shop and I added in the extra cost of insurance to my cost/km. All my math to date supports the savings. As long a I do not use more the 70L/ month in gas I should be ok. ALso Have a DZ lic, manual transmissions are not an issue

    For your img to work you need to add a .jpg before the last [img]
    Whoa Captain serious, it's just a joke, chill. You'll get used to the roughing around here.

    Thanks for the HTML class, though. All this time I thought the file extension was useless


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by El Cockblock; 03-20-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Bend the rules. Rule the bends.

  18. #18

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Welcome. XC and DH racing will help with the bike craft but count me as one recommending you take an approved M1-exit course at a local college. Closed-course events like your XC racing will help you with reflexes, balance and the like but won't prep you for the myriad threats that accompany road-riding.

    As well, your race bikes might weight 20-lbs: The courses we mention will also hone your skills maneuvering a bike weighing 15- to 20-times that at low speed, in tight turning situations, in panic-braking conditions etc. Try not to let your O/R pushbike expertise make you cocky re riding a motorcycle out amongst traffic.

    Re expenses: For many the insurance cost for a bike is higher than for a car and you'll find you cannot remove the bike from service over the winter like you can with a summer-only car: If you're paying $100/mo for insurance on your bike, you're paying that 12-mos of the year even though you only ride a few months. On top of the outright purchase of of a bike you're also into upwards of a grand (or more) for good quality equipment (helmet, gloves, boots, pants, jacket, back protector etc.) Most bikes are pretty reliable but depending on the roads on which you ride, the power, the speeds, the weights etc, you may find you're replacing the rear tire every season and the front every second one. This can add up, even if you have some spoons and can change your own tires.
    2011 Yamaha FZS800
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

  19. #19
    Ethereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    353

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    No chill needed, sorry if my response sounded defensive, was only adding more info for you guys to better digest my questions. Changing tires is not a problem. Every day I do not use my truck saves me $20. Replacing a set of tires for the sack of having fun is not a bad trade off. Other then oil changes what other regular things can I expect to change each session? How long does a chain last? My pedal bikes use 2-3/session but that is because I trade saving lbs vs longevity and mud/wet riding kills parts. Also looking for security options you have found to work best. I can take a good roughing. May sound serious, but I work hard and play even harder.

  20. #20
    boyoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: New to Sport bikes and this site

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaFan View Post
    I'm new here too, but not to riding motorcycles.

    Not trying to be discouraging, but other than the balance aspect learned from riding a bicycle,
    which is a completely sub-conscious activity, I can't think of much that transfers to riding a motorcycle on the street.

    I imagine you've had a car, and if it has a manual transmission there's more synergy there to riding a motorcycle than you'd get from a bicycle

    I'd suggest slowing down on the ideas of dragging knees and stuff, take an NSF course and see where your skill level ends up before buying anything
    I would think there are some skills transferable from racing a bike downhill. Do downhill bikes have a front brake? I imagine racing down hill would require some good brake control skills, likewise reading lines and looking where you want to go. Also sliding, with or without the rear brake. Skills may not be a perfect fit for street riding, but they would be helpful. The OP has mentioned riding his friends motorcycle, so for a friend to offer up his bike, one would have to think the OP has some abilities like knowing how to shift. A MSF/NSF? street riding course is sound advice.
    Last edited by boyoboy; 03-21-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •