KTM 2T, EFI; They have done it! | GTAMotorcycle.com

KTM 2T, EFI; They have done it!

The tech has been around for years in snowmobiles and outboards. KTM's description of the system sounds like Rotax's SDI system and those went into production in 2004.

why do some guys here refer to 2 stroke as 2T ?

Believe it has something to do with 2 events in the cycle whereas 4 strokes have 4. 2 Tiempo or something like that.

Way harder to stall. Would love to try one one day. Fuel Injection and Oil Injection would be great. Now if they could only get them street legal.

My 2011 Ossa 280 two stroke is fuel injected,no battery.Awesome motor.Starts great and runs on 140/1 premix.Fuel injection will be great for KTM.

Believe it has something to do with 2 events in the cycle whereas 4 strokes have 4. 2 Tiempo or something like that.

Way harder to stall. Would love to try one one day. Fuel Injection and Oil Injection would be great. Now if they could only get them street legal.

so it's euro-******, thanks bro

I'm more impressed that these things supposedly meet Euro 4 emissions standards

This tech is awesome!

why do some guys here refer to 2 stroke as 2T ?

T is from German: coming from "Takt" meaning stroke, or cycle. So 4 Takt (4 stroke) 2 Takt (2 stroke) 4T and 2T

Last edited:
T is from German: coming from "Takt" meaning stroke, or cycle. So 4 Takt (4 stroke) 2 Takt (2 stroke) 4T and 2T
Thanks for that. I've always used the term but couldn't answer why lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'm more impressed that these things supposedly meet Euro 4 emissions standards

Bingo ... this is perhaps the most interesting part. As pointed out, the tech has been around for a while, but not implemented while meeting Euro 4. This could give KTM/Husqvarna even further jump over competition ... not that they desperately need it.

Our great government banned 2t for road use in 1997, to protect us from our self or some bull like that.

Does this mean we could see some street legal 2 stroke exc models?

They already confirmed that ... sort of ... for Europe first of course. But now that Donny is dismantling EPA, perhaps we will need Euro 1 only ... LOL

Anyways, here's what's known ... extract from Revzilla's article

So far, three models featuring this new technology have been announced. Europe will get the first two, the 250 EXC TPI and 300 EXC TPI, set for a May release. North America will receive the third, the 2018 250 XC-W TPI, will be available in limited quantities by late fall.

If you read that as I first did, it sounds like Europe is getting street-legal two-strokes. Not so. While the EXC product line in America is KTM’s street-legal dual-sports, in Europe the designation is reserved for their enduro line.

Is that to say that we’ll never see a street-legal two-stroke motorcycle again here in the United States? At this point, I wouldn’t rule it out. If KTM has showed us anything, it’s that they are committed to advancing two-stroke technology, even if everyone else out there has ruled it obsolete.
/Quote

Our great government banned 2t for road use in 1997, to protect us from our self or some bull like that.

There is no "ban" on any type of technology. There are emission standards that have to be met. Two-strokes disappeared from the roads because the technology at the time was not capable of achieving compliance with the emission standards.

I still have my doubts.

You mean another new bike :)

I just bought the 2017 yz250x at Snow City.

You said you weren't going to do that?! Good choice.

Ive said for years that if they bring out a fuel injected 2t that I would then buy a new bike, I guess the time has come. I'll give it a year and see how it works.

Back
Top Bottom