Beta 125RR-S | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beta 125RR-S

It's a good piece of film ... and a very capable bike in the hands of very capable riders who know what they are doing and have been KTM friends for long time. Not that it diminishes their achievement in any way, or the bikes reliability and capability, obviously. Just keep that in mind ... when you re comparing it to your usage, support etc.

curious, i wonder what the indian ownership have to do with the company and its products?

I know the 390s that are made in india are crap as far as build quality and reliability goes.

I'm assuming the rest of their models are still build by the competent Austrians??

curious, i wonder what the indian ownership have to do with the company and its products?

I know the 390s that are made in india are crap as far as build quality and reliability goes.

I'm assuming the rest of their models are still build by the competent Austrians??

Bajaj Auto is huge in India and Asia general ... they open KTM to manufacture/assemble some smaller cc lines in their Indian facilities for the local markets. KTM needed a partner so they can expand in those markets.

Where are you getting the idea that 390's are crap? In general, all of them? Or you know someone here who had an issue or two with them? You know there are racing series worldwide which use RC390's ....

Yes anything other than 200 and 390 road bikes is assembled and built in Austria.

Bad news travels fast, heard numerous stories about engines blowing up, bolts coming loose after brand new purchases, from owners i haven't heard ANY good things. Kind of like the royal Enfields

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Also wondering how easy is it to do the valves on these bikes? Considering they are essentially high performance dirt bikes..with all the frequent maintainance intervals? Although im guessing the 690R has much longer ones

Bad news travels fast, heard numerous stories about engines blowing up, bolts coming loose after brand new purchases, from owners i haven't heard ANY good things. Kind of like the royal Enfields

I know one RC390 with engine blowing up and that was a raced bike in the local racing series. You probably heard about the same bike ... that's how many there's been .... LOL

Are you talking the few owners here in GTA, Ontario or Canada ... or somewhere on might internet? This is the problem with today's instantly connected world ... double-edged sword.

Putting them into the same sentence as Royal Enfields?? ... I don't think so, regardless what you have heard.

Also wondering how easy is it to do the valves on these bikes? Considering they are essentially high performance dirt bikes..with all the frequent maintainance intervals? Although im guessing the 690R has much longer ones

I am not sure ... look up the owner's manual. The KTM 390-690 engines have very little to do with their dirt bike engines. Maybe the same color?

I know one RC390 with engine blowing up and that was a raced bike in the local racing series. You probably heard about the same bike ... that's how many there's been .... LOL

Are you talking the few owners here in GTA, Ontario or Canada ... or somewhere on might internet? This is the problem with today's instantly connected world ... double-edged sword.

Putting them into the same sentence as Royal Enfields?? ... I don't think so, regardless what you have heard.
I read something somewhere that even people in India won't buy them because they all know they are junk. Of course it's internet hearsay so could be total BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_n0yIzjyI

5200 Kms.

Im sure the KTM bikes not build in india are phenomenal...i just dont trust the made in india ones.
Read the comments also, it seems like a common problem, and its not covered under warranty it seems.

I'll check the manuals, but the 500 EXC for instance is basically an enduro racing bike isnt it?

I suppose the 690 enduro is more street oriented.

Will get back to you with the maintenance intervals

Last edited:
I've never checked the valves on a 690 but need to do my exc soon. Most dirt bike based bikes it doesn't take long at all though.

I wouldn't worry about owning KTM product, just know what your buying. I know your onto 690's now but for example exc's your oil changes, valve checks and piston replacements is done by hours and it comes up fairly quick. Doesn't mean they're bad bikes it just means it requires service and attention.

OK, finally found the authentic service manuals!

EXC 500:

Check valve clearance: every 30 hours
Change oil/filter: every 15 hours

This was weird...

Change Piston: every 135 hours....

Enduro R is much more palatable:

Check valves: every 10000 Km

Change oil/filter: every 10000 Km

Like the all roundability(i think i just made up a word)
of the 690 R...and the not so crazy service interval.
--------------------------
EXC 500:
http://www.ktm.com/globalassets/pro..._bike_bed_16_3213339_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

Enduro 690 R:
http://www.ktm.com/globalassets/pro..._bike_bed_16_3213396_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

No surprises ... really ... but as you could see from the 500 EXC video, they were nowhere near the service intervals in the manuals. The manual figures assume that you race it hard on the weekends, rather than commute or play at the Ganny.

I have an 08 530 exc. At 11,000km (220hrs) the valves were checked and all was in spec. Leak down test @ 95%. It was done by a dealer and I dropped it off EXPECTING it needed the valves adjusted at least.
From a maintenance perspective it does get reasonably frequent oil change, but not much more frequent than my old XR650l. By the same token the 530 NEVER goes long distances on pavement, and is of course liquid cooled.

My perspective - if you want to go orange buy the 690. I would be better off with the 690 myself. I like to explore, spend the day riding around. Wheelies, power slides, looking around, goofing around and generally having fun. This does include a decent amount of single track but it doesn't need to be at race speeds (anymore), and if I get tired I need to remind myself to either stop and rest or head for the wider stuff and plonk along.

I have an 08 530 exc. At 11,000km (220hrs) the valves were checked and all was in spec. Leak down test @ 95%. It was done by a dealer and I dropped it off EXPECTING it needed the valves adjusted at least.
From a maintenance perspective it does get reasonably frequent oil change, but not much more frequent than my old XR650l. By the same token the 530 NEVER goes long distances on pavement, and is of course liquid cooled.

My perspective - if you want to go orange buy the 690. I would be better off with the 690 myself. I like to explore, spend the day riding around. Wheelies, power slides, looking around, goofing around and generally having fun. This does include a decent amount of single track but it doesn't need to be at race speeds (anymore), and if I get tired I need to remind myself to either stop and rest or head for the wider stuff and plonk along.

By all accounts, the 690 seems pretty capable of the dirt/single track as well.

Perhaps not as quick as the rocket 500 exc...but then i dont have to check the valves every 30 hours...

And i can do some long distances on the pavement with the 690

well i found it redundant to start another thread :p

It beats the "Grom vs Busa" threads we see every year. I could talk dirtbikes forever.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If the 500 didnt have annoying intervals id totally sell my kidney to get one.

Would be nice to get someones opinion who has ridden the 690 in some single track/knarlies

Is it doable? How does it compare to street legal dual sports?(the ones that DONT have service intervals in the hours?)

Say the WR..or DRZ?

Last edited:
Considering the fact that it's essentially the same weight but has better brakes, suspension etc, it'll do fine. Just make sure to set some $$ aside for a seat.
Comparing the 690 to a drz or wr is really no comparison, the 690 is in a whole different class as a dualsport.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If the 500 didnt have annoying intervals id totally sell my kidney to get one.

Would be nice to get someones opinion who has ridden the 690 in some single track/knarlies

Is it doable? How does it compare to street legal dual sports?(the ones that DONT have service intervals in the hours?)

Say the WR..or DRZ?

I am going to say that the biggest problem or challenge with 690 (or any dual sport) is the tire. It's like you are never on the right tire, and many times on worn out tire ... If you are a decent rider who will not drop the bike often in a tight single track, the bike will be fine. If you are not that good, or you show up on 50/50 tire with a worn out thread, guess what ... you will be exhausted very quickly, because lifting the bike is not easy, especially after some time of riding.

The bike will do it .... whether you will enjoy it, is a totally different question.

Back
Top Bottom