Beta 125RR-S | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beta 125RR-S

bigpoppa

Looking at agile/capable Dual sports, this little Beta caught my eye, it meets my criteria which are:

-Must be under 10k
-Capable offroad agility/quickness

The only thing im somewhat concerned with is:
1. I dont know what the reliability is with Betas, as this is something you generally dont have to worry with jap bikes, and I am unfamiliar with Euro bikes(Dual sports or otherwise)
2. As this is a Dual Sport what are the service intervals/valve adjustments? I know the jap dual sports are basically like street bikes with long
intervals etc. But some of the Euro dirt bikes you have to change the oil and inspect valves every few hours or something crazy like that
3. What is the dealer Network like? Parts availability?

I'd feel more comfy with a KTM/Husky but they start at like 10k....

The reviews seem pretty positive, the only complaint being somewhat meh brakes(but as my current bike doesnt have exceptional braking, this i am ok with)

Would I just be better off getting a WR250R? (Or maybe the Drz400?)
The beta is starting at 4999 Msrp(so roughly 6k CAD)

Gracias

Is that price American or Canadian? The chassis looks up to snuff but the engine is a definite turn off. If you weigh under 150 lbs then consider it but if you are a more average weighted human / not a child you might need more ponies to get going.

I do not know who sells them. I'm sure google can tell me fairly easily but I'll say this I've been in a ton of dealerships throughout the GTA and haven't seen or even heard these bikes talked about.

Dave Butler of D&J motorcycles sells Beta.
D & J Motorcycle Sales  
Huntsville, Ontario
Address: 1050 Stephenson Rd2 West, Utterson, ON P0B 1M0
Phone: (705) 385-1957
Province: Ontario

Beta in general is like any euro bike, high performance with a higher level of maintenance. That said, I doubt the performance on a 125 4t is too dramatic. I think it's aimed at euro-learners. For that money you'd be much happier with a wr250r.
Try calling dealers for more info and whether it's even available in Canada. Cameron Cycle, Langs Offroad. I'd try Rob at Langs, euro bikes are all they do, very knowledgeable.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

^^^ What he said, except I don't think the maintenance will be anything bad, especially in low stressed 125cc 4T. Beta has a decent following and reliability record.

Is that price American or Canadian? The chassis looks up to snuff but the engine is a definite turn off. If you weigh under 150 lbs then consider it but if you are a more average weighted human / not a child you might need more ponies to get going.

I do not know who sells them. I'm sure google can tell me fairly easily but I'll say this I've been in a ton of dealerships throughout the GTA and haven't seen or even heard these bikes talked about.

saw a number of reviews, by several moto mags, where 200lb riders were taking them on 'Black diamond trails' (Im assuming they are considered difficult? )

And the bike performed well

^^^ What he said, except I don't think the maintenance will be anything bad, especially in low stressed 125cc 4T. Beta has a decent following and reliability record.
Beta doesn't make "low stress" 4t, they make performance 4t. Any 1w5 4t with an adult rider is going to get stressed. Running it on the road for any length of time will only compound maintenance issues.
However Beta does have the bugs worked out of their bikes.

It's a dual sport oriented bike, so it will not be tuned to the gills like their other machines, at least that was my impression from some articles. Sort of like WR250R ...

But honestly, I didn't look into the bike in detail, so I cannot vouch either way.

Looking at agile/capable Dual sports, this little Beta caught my eye, it meets my criteria which are:

-Must be under 10k
-Capable offroad agility/quickness

This screams used KTM 350 exc. You should be able to get a 2015/2016 for just under $10,000.

The Beta to me seems more like a campground playbike, messing around on a farm etc not a serious off road machine. You can also be sure at that price point it's going to come with entry level components like suspension and brakes.

I'm going to guess out of husky, Beta and Ktm

KTM has the best dealer support/parts availability?

I'm going to guess out of husky, Beta and Ktm

KTM has the best dealer support/parts availability?
You're definitely going to find more ktm/husky dealers around. Parts for both are available through any ktm dealer.
Beta has 4 or 5 dealers in Ontario (don't quote me on that) but I wouldn't let that stop me. Buy your consumables (brakes, sprockets, filters etc) in the winter so you have them already when you need them. Major parts you just gotta order in advance.

thankfully it looks like KTM does demo days

thankfully it looks like KTM does demo days
Mission Cycle (ktm only dealer) has demo bikes all season, usually 2 models.

Thoughts on the 690 Enduro R?

Was thinking EXC 500 for adv or 50/50 bike...but the more i read into it the more the 690 Enduro R looks better and better

Longer maintenance intervals...better on the road(I hear stories of guys burning out their exc 500s doing commuting/highway)
and from everything on paper..the Enduro R has the same stats as the WR250R (same weight, clearance, suspension travel, but lots more power)

I think i might have found my 'dream bike' here..

It really depends, as always ... what sort of riding? How long boring paved riding and how really off-road serious riding? The pendulum can quickly swing one way or another ....

Stories of EXC 500 blowing up (if that's what you meant) from commuting? ... LOL ... you have seen this, have you not? (Motonomad I and II) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Qi02_CuI0&list=PLd0HQFhfUNEnqHaAnENi9qotqmRuQDKUN

Not saying that they cannot, but these internet reports are as reliable as cell signal up north ...

The exc 500s or the 690 Enduro R

Thrive the single track and still be decent if i want to ride up to alaska or moab?

Wow 7 countries on the Exc500!

Last edited:
It really depends, as always ... what sort of riding? How long boring paved riding and how really off-road serious riding? The pendulum can quickly swing one way or another ....

Stories of EXC 500 blowing up (if that's what you meant) from commuting? ... LOL ... you have seen this, have you not? (Motonomad I and II) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Qi02_CuI0&list=PLd0HQFhfUNEnqHaAnENi9qotqmRuQDKUN

Not saying that they cannot, but these internet reports are as reliable as cell signal up north ...
^ Exactly what he said.

If you end up riding with guys on small bikes you'll wish you bought that 500 EXC instead. If you end up riding a lot of highway and gravel roads you'll wish for a more comfortable bike for that. I know guys on both sides.

The idea of the 690R sounds fantastic because it is the best all rounder, but that means it's a compromise both ways. If you're riding by yourself or with guys on mostly WR250R's, DRZ400's and other 690R's it is perfect. Have an idea of what you're going to do before you decide, or keep buying and selling like some of us before we figure it out. ?

well that video was certainly an eye opener...

Back
Top Bottom