Northern Ontario Campsites | GTAMotorcycle.com

Northern Ontario Campsites

Boots

Hey guys, I wanna try and do some camping over the Civic Holiday long weekend. I was originally looking at Thunder Bay, but I was wondering if you guys know any other hidden gems that are about 10-15 hours north of the GTA that is great for camping, views, hiking and the like. I will be taking a car down there so roads won't really matter to me, I'm just looking for good destinations if you guys know of any. Thanks!

Manitoulin Island is pretty awesome in the summer, and has several nice campgrounds to choose from.
The good ones are all private, which is my preference over government run camps, maybe not yours.

Pancake Bay is awesome. Beautiful quiet campground right on the beach. It's Lake Superior, so the water is cold but early August is the best time to go. Lake Superior park is also nearby for really good hiking.

Anywhere between Sault Ste Marie, and Wawa. Absolutely the most beautiful part of ontario!

This year all the parks are free....150th Bday for Canada BUT means they will book up very fast.

Only National Parks, not provincial parks. Just to clarify - not sure what ones you were referring to, but there's a lot of people who are mixing the two and expected all the Ontario Provincial Park campgrounds to be free this year as well.

I wouldn't want to be the person manning the gates at any Provincial Parks this year, I think there's going to be a lot of angry people who didn't understand the distinction and decide to take it out on the employees....because, of course, it's their fault.

Saw a few discussions on Facebook recently (including one on the Provincial Parks page) where a lot of people are losing their minds over it.

Chapleau, ON, east of Wawa in the middle of freakin' nowhere. We found remote trailer park which had tent spots for rent for $10/night including free firewood. Nice roads, lots of bears (and beers).

Find some crown land and camp for free.

^this. plan your trip for mid-late july or august when the flies are down and the lakes warm enough for swimming. flies in june are unbearable.

deer trail route; a curvy and hilly, near isolated, secondary hwy route between elliot lake and iron bridge (~ 80km east of sault ste marie off trans canada hwy). pick a lake along the way and camp for free. catch brook trout on the little white river which the hwy follows for about 10km's (try around one of the bailey bridges for trout pools).
stop in the soo and take a train trip tour through the agawa canyon. check out the bush plane museum. the agawa canyon train tour is a must see.

it is~ 8 hours drive to the soo...

closer? hwy 63, ~ 80km north of N.bay at bridge/dam at quebec border..camp for free there on ottawa river (ont side) and catch pickerel (walleye) from the shore or bridge - free crown land and 3 minutes to bait/grocery/beer/restaurant/ bar, and french girls in town of timiscaming (spelling?) on quebec side.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I wanna try and do some camping over the Civic Holiday long weekend. I was originally looking at Thunder Bay, but I was wondering if you guys know any other hidden gems that are about 10-15 hours north of the GTA that is great for camping, views, hiking and the like. I will be taking a car down there so roads won't really matter to me, I'm just looking for good destinations if you guys know of any. Thanks!

thujnder bay for a long weekend? you ll be spending the whole weekend driving...not fun

Last edited:
Only National Parks, not provincial parks. Just to clarify - not sure what ones you were referring to, but there's a lot of people who are mixing the two and expected all the Ontario Provincial Park campgrounds to be free this year as well.

I don't think the camping is free, just day visits.

I don't think the camping is free, just day visits.

Indeed, but many people are assuming it's a blanket pass to every campground in Ontario, and everything is free.

Indeed, but many people are assuming it's a blanket pass to every campground in Ontario, and everything is free.
Yep. I bet there's going to be a ton of arguments at the gates to all the provincial parks this summer, and a lot of fed up park employees.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

This is what they wanted, publicity and attention to the parks.

By attaching the word "free" nation wide your going to get a lot of people who have the impression all parts are free, a kind of bait and switch (weather intentional or not)

Lots of free rough camping on the Sultan road (just west of New Liskard)

Back
Top Bottom