Storing (un-winterized) bike from mid March till April OK? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Storing (un-winterized) bike from mid March till April OK?

stuff a rag into the exhaust and intake, and everything else other said, throw a cover over it, and go pray for spring

Guys that are more knowledgeable than I please chime in if I am incorrect, but OP you should grab one of these >>
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.6v--12v-battery-maintainer.1000812992.html
The price is right.

Sent from the Purple Zone

That is the only thing I do, keep my battery charged. Never used fuel stabilizer or any other winterizer and never had an issue. I park it with a full tank of gas and when the time comes start riding again after topping up the tires.

everyone covered mostly everything but I'd also recommend lubing the crap out of the chain and sprockets. Also spray a lithium grease or any rust prevention lube on the joints of the frame and small metal bit it'll save your bike from a lot of rust.

Talk about over thinking this....

My race bike often sits for a month between race rounds and I don't do anything for storage. Nothing will happen in 4-6 weeks.

if the gas in the tank is stabilized and you add plain gas and don't run it, it won't make a difference. The gas in the tank will have a bit less ratio and if it's carbed, the stabilized gas is in the carb bowls.

I rode my winterized bike mid Feb. for a day. It's been parked again since. I may top up the tank if I get around to it, but if not I'm not worried about it. Batt probably won't even need a charge to start up. If it sits longer than a month, I might though.

in the first post it states the bike was not winterized

Last edited:
full tank, lube the chain, figure out the battery issue

too late to worry about winterization, just get it ready to ride

Technically, you're not really "topping" up the tires.

Talk about over thinking this....

My race bike often sits for a month between race rounds and I don't do anything for storage. Nothing will happen in 4-6 weeks.

Why take chances, you never know...might as well wrap in plastic wrap to be safe.

thinking about this again and after re-reading, think I'd opt to dump the oil before putting into service

OP mentions the previous owner had not winterized the bike as it had been ridden sporadically all winter

sounds like perfect conditions for condensation build up from repeated warm up/cool downs, with little riding time
to burn off condensation

I'd give it a good run before using and change the oil and filter, always a good idea when buying used anyway to know
where you are on the mtce sched

I would check the oil level before I'd run the engine. It's not like a tire.

Top with Shell v power, maintain the battery, change oil in spring before first ride, 125 only has a screen oil filter, air the skinny tires. FI so make sure tiny battery is fully charged! Simple wee bike.

Back
Top Bottom