Storing (un-winterized) bike from mid March till April OK? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Storing (un-winterized) bike from mid March till April OK?

Harebarius

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a used CBR125R which I'm currently storing in a semi-covered garage (no doors). Forecast has a few more days of double negative temps but will gradually rise to above zero late in the week.
Will my bike be OK if it sits for another 3 weeks?. Besides removing the battery and covering the bike I haven't done any other winter prep...

thanks!
H

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a used CBR125R which I'm currently storing in a semi-covered garage (no doors). Forecast has a few more days of double negative temps but will gradually rise to above zero late in the week.
Will my bike be OK if it sits for another 3 weeks?. Besides removing the battery and covering the bike I haven't done any other winter prep...

thanks!
H

did you add fuel stabilizer, top up the tank, and run the engine for 10-15 minutes to make sure stabilizer is in the fuel system? trickle charge the battery every few weeks? thats bare minimum for the winter. kinda late to be thinking storage now. better yet, check tire pressures, put in fresh gas, and take her for a good spin (weather permitting). do you have a trip permit? congrats on the new bike.

Last edited:
It will be fine...just make sure to wash it well if you do ride when there is still salt on the roads (likely until about mid April if not a bit later). Also keep an eye on both tire pressure and chain lubrication.

Also not sure if you are a new rider, but if so, waiting might be a good idea...road conditions are not great, and you don't want to end your season before it even begins.

It will be fine...just make sure to wash it well if you do ride when there is still salt on the roads (likely until about mid April if not a bit later). Also keep an eye on both tire pressure and chain lubrication.

Also not sure if you are a new rider, but if so, waiting might be a good idea...road conditions are not great, and you don't want to end your season before it even begins.

^good thoughts, experienced friend for the slow spin?

For 3 weeks, no need for stabilizer, but topping up the tank isn't a bad idea. Cover it with something breathable or at least can allow air to circulate....don't want condensation to build up. Trickle charge the batt before starting in 3 weeks.

Great question, i took the bike out for a spin a few weeks ago when we had the good weather...used maybe 1/4 tank? so that leaves 3/4 tank of gas will stabalizer...should i fill up 100% or nah? To avoid rust or any of that other crap

I too wouldnt worry much about it - probably wouldn't even have bothered removing the battery either if power was available to hookup a tender right where it sits - I never remove my batteries but I do use tenders.

Filling the tank with ethanol free wouldn't hurt in the meantime but the stabilizer already in there is probably enough to keep things good - don't run it after refilling and what's in the fuel system will be higher strength than what's in the tank afterwards.

Don't over think it...it's a short period of time and in a mostly open but covered shed it won't be subject to huge temperature swings that might otherwise have the potential to cause more moisture issues.

Honestly at this point I wouldn't even pull the battery out. Anyways the bike is fine to sit for 3 weeks and has some shelter so you're good. Like mentioned when your ready to ride throw some fresh gas in there and check tire pressures and away you go.

Three weeks isn't a long time unless you're doing the flexed arm hang or something. One thing I do when caught out like that is douse the sumbitch with WD40, taking the necessary precautions etc.

Did the PO use stabilizer when they put the bike away in the Fall? If they did then great, you're covered, nothing to do except get a battery tender for now and the future use. If you don't know if they used stabilizer then another 3 weeks really isn't going to make a big difference at this point.

Are you a new rider? If so, then taking a new bike out on dirty streets and cold tires is not a good idea, Wait until better weather and a few good rainfalls to wash the winter crap away and then start riding.

Did the PO use stabilizer when they put the bike away in the Fall? If they did then great, you're covered, nothing to do except get a battery tender for now and the future use. If you don't know if they used stabilizer then another 3 weeks really isn't going to make a big difference at this point.

Are you a new rider? If so, then taking a new bike out on dirty streets and cold tires is not a good idea, Wait until better weather and a few good rainfalls to wash the winter crap away and then start riding.

I don't agree with the " if its only 3 weeks it won't make a difference now" in regards to the gas. If the bike has been sitting since oct/ november, the gas is already going bad or near bad. Another 3-4 weeks may be just enough time for it to start gumming up. I would top up the tank with non ethanol and use fuel stabilizer or sea foam stabilizer/cleaner asap, and if you cannot take the bike for a ride now, at least run the bike for 25-30 minutes, running up the revs a bit here and there while it idles. Running the bike for any less time won't get it warm/hot enough to expel moisture.

a stitch in time saves nine, my grandma used to say.

Last edited:
Three weeks isn't a long time unless you're doing the flexed arm hang or something. One thing I do when caught out like that is douse the sumbitch with WD40, taking the necessary precautions etc.

3 week flexed arm hang .. thats nothing, I do that every morning.....lmao

I don't agree with the " if its only 3 weeks it won't make a difference now" in regards to the gas. If the bike has been sitting since oct/ november, the gas is already going bad or near bad. Another 3-4 weeks may be just enough time for it to start gumming up. I would top up the tank with non ethanol and use fuel stabilizer or sea foam stabilizer/cleaner asap, and if you cannot take the bike for a ride now, at least run the bike for 25-30 minutes, running up the revs a bit here and there while it idles. Running the bike for any less time won't get it warm/hot enough to expel moisture.

a stitch in time saves nine, my grandma used to say.

if the gas in the tank is stabilized and you add plain gas and don't run it, it won't make a difference. The gas in the tank will have a bit less ratio and if it's carbed, the stabilized gas is in the carb bowls.

I rode my winterized bike mid Feb. for a day. It's been parked again since. I may top up the tank if I get around to it, but if not I'm not worried about it. Batt probably won't even need a charge to start up. If it sits longer than a month, I might though.

Hey guys, many thanks for all the replies!
To answer some questions:
- Yes, I am a new-ish rider with 0 winterizing experience.
- The prev owner did not put stabilizer in, however, he did ride during the milder winter days (and most likely before selling to me) so the fuel isn't super stale (tank half full).

Some more info; the bike arrived cold on Sat (I believe it was around -6° C) and wouldn't start (PO did demonstrate starting & riding the bike a week prior on a slightly warmer day). Next day I tried to start again, N lit up but no sound. I removed the battery and threw cover on.
The reason why I'm stating 3 weeks is because I have my course late this month so the bike will be unplated/uninsured for now -- but if the road conditions are still bad I will hold off on riding. I was hesitant about filling up, putting stabilizer then running the engine since I've read that it could be harmful to start a cold bike...

Last edited:
It's not advisable to run a cold bike for a short time. The condensation doesn't get a chance to burn/steam off. Starting a cold bike is not an issue. I used to ride down to -10C or so. Sounds like you have a dead batt. A solid batt will start the bike in -6. Hopefully it only needs a charge, if not a new one will be needed. Better to top off the tank. If it's going to be less than a couple of months, not stabilizer is needed. More than 3 it wouldn't hurt. If you decide to add stabilizer, add it before topping up the tank and run it for a good while to warm everything up to burn off the condensation and get the stabilized fuel thru the system. You will know cause it will smoke a bit more and smell different. I don't recall, is the CBR125 carbed or FI? IIRC, easy way to tell if it's injection or carb is the injection models have the 2 separate headlights, carbs have the big single piece headlight.

it's FI. I verified with prev owner on dropoff day, and yes it has the 2 separate headlights. I'll check to see if batt is dead...

If you really want to feel comfortable....get some stabilizer, get a jerry can of ethanol free gas (important for storage periods, not so much during the summer riding months), add the stabilizer to the tank and then the fuel (to mix it as much a possible while you're pouring) and then start the bike and let it run for at least 15 minutes or so so that it fully heats up the engine and exhaust to help (as riceburner mentioned) burn off any condensation and help prevent any from forming, as well as distributes the stabilizer through the entire fuel system and engine.

Then if you have electricity where the bike is parked (or can even run an extension cord for the time being) invest in a proper battery tender and leave the battery in the bike and hookup the tender where it sits - cold weather will not harm a battery at all so long as it's kept in a charged condition.

Shut it off, let it cool off for a few hours before covering again if you plan on it (again, you want to minimize condensation), and then let it sit until you're ready to ride.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

thanks!
H

You could leave it parked outside with no cover all winter and just boost the battery and lube the chain in the spring and probably be fine. I never winterized my 650R and it was always fine. Parked outside under a fabric cover.

Back
Top Bottom