Insurance for R6 if just got M? Is it financial suicide or not? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for R6 if just got M? Is it financial suicide or not?

RRookie

I am thinking to get new R6 2016 model. Can get them for good price now. But insurance looks like a problem.
I am 36, reside in Windsor, clean driving record, have AZ and M. Got M in september 2016. I had R3 insured for 2 years.
Any chance to get under $1800 per year insurance?

Really depends on your age, postal code, and driving/riding history. Call around and see what people say, but honestly if you have zero accidents and zero tickets, are over 35 and have some riding history, I can't see it being that bad for you.

Although it may not be 10k, I doubt it'll be under 1800. Many riders on here with ss are finding the rates increased to over 2-3000 this year.
Best bet is to call some insurers and get a few quotes. Definitely do this before buying the bike.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I am thinking to get new R6 2016 model. Can get them for good price now. But insurance looks like a problem.
I am 36, reside in Windsor, clean driving record, have AZ and M. Got M in september 2016. I had R3 insured for 2 years.
Any chance to get under $1800 per year insurance?

Call insurance companies and get quotes, you will just hear all speculations here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although it may not be 10k, I doubt it'll be under 1800. Many riders on here with ss are finding the rates increased to over 2-3000 this year.
Best bet is to call some insurers and get a few quotes. Definitely do this before buying the bike.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

x2, I too think $1800 or under a year is highly unlikely however. You have your age and some experience on your side, but it seems that many insurance companies prefer 4 full years of M licence (and related history) before offering really affordable SS rates.

But yes, get on the phone, that's the only way you're going to get real answers.

But yes, get on the phone, that's the only way you're going to get real answers.
Thanks guys i will do as soon as back to canada. Cannot call now. By the way i have a small winter bike here 125cc and my insurance for the year is $6. Believe it or not... So i really hate paying high insurance. I will probably have to get FZ09 if cannot get good insurance for R6.

And what do you get for that $6? A piece of paper and token coverage amounts I'm guessing? And where exactly is that, you said you're in Windsor?

It's unfair to compare rates like this (presumably overseas somewhere?) when here you get millions in coverage here.

Last edited:
And what do you get for that $6? A piece of paper and token coverage amounts I'm guessing? And where exactly is that, you said you're in Windsor?

It's unfair to compare rates like this (presumably overseas somewhere?) when here you get millions in coverage here.
Of course $6 insurance is not in Canada. And where did you see winter bikes here? lol. One of the tropical countries where life is much cheaper and no snow. I am driving bike all winter here.
So for me paying over $1800 per year is not acceptalbe. I had $600 for my R3 before.

I would expect to pay between 1800-2300yr for an R6.
Too many variables to factor in to be accurate.

No knock against you OP but It's completely unnecessary for everyone to create 15 posts a day asking what your rate will be. Just call a bunch of agents and find the best quote.

I had amazing results from Chris @ Aviva. With my bike and car bundled together my combined rate reduced by over $250 per month from my previous provider.

My stepson (21, M2, 0yrs exp) couldn't get insured on a cbr300 with an m2 for under $4k a year until he called Chris. He now pays half of that.

Good luck with your search!

Of course $6 insurance is not in Canada. And where did you see winter bikes here? lol. One of the tropical countries where life is much cheaper and no snow. I am driving bike all winter here.
So for me paying over $1800 per year is not acceptalbe. I had $600 for my R3 before.

Which country?

Btw, you should be able to get within 1800 or less for yearly insurance. I paid $1105 for my 08 750, stand alone policy which means I did not even need to have car/rental/home insurance. I am 29 and in Toronto area.

Which country?

Btw, you should be able to get within 1800 or less for yearly insurance. I paid $1105 for my 08 750, stand alone policy which means I did not even need to have car/rental/home insurance. I am 29 and in Toronto area.

Country is Philippines, but I am not filipino, I am white.
black_CG2, what is your insurance company? I will try them. I had R3 with Echelon but they do not insure R6

I went from a SS (2015 CBR600RR) to a 2016 Yamaha FZ09. I love the FZ, far superior bike IMO. I kept the CBR for a couple months after buying my FZ, but didn't ever ride it. Before I sold it is took it to the car wash. When I laid on the throttle coming out of town it just felt so slow compared to the FZ! Plus the riding position is WAY more comfortable lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I went from a SS (2015 CBR600RR) to a 2016 Yamaha FZ09. I love the FZ, far superior bike IMO. I kept the CBR for a couple months after buying my FZ, but didn't ever ride it. Before I sold it is took it to the car wash. When I laid on the throttle coming out of town it just felt so slow compared to the FZ! Plus the riding position is WAY more comfortable lol.

wait, you feel that the FZ09 is faster than the 600rr???
i really gotta try the FZ09 and see how i like it. i tried the FZ10 last year on demo day and ya it was alright but it didnt blow my hair back the way i expected.
it was cold out and group ride style day but still got a chance to lean on it a little.

OP - as for SS insurance, 5 years with M class and you will be in better shape, or 4 years insured on a bike, full M and rider training.
all these things will help but you wont know until you shop around and run some numbers.
just make sure you are quoting the same coverage across the board, get a vin of a bike you are looking at, and give all the brokers the exact same info.

wait, you feel that the FZ09 is faster than the 600rr???
i really gotta try the FZ09 and see how i like it. i tried the FZ10 last year on demo day and ya it was alright but it didnt blow my hair back the way i expected.
it was cold out and group ride style day but still got a chance to lean on it a little.

OP - as for SS insurance, 5 years with M class and you will be in better shape, or 4 years insured on a bike, full M and rider training.
all these things will help but you wont know until you shop around and run some numbers.
just make sure you are quoting the same coverage across the board, get a vin of a bike you are looking at, and give all the brokers the exact same info.
Top end no, but I'd put good money that the FZ 09 would beat the 600rr to 100 mph. They were both new bikes too, so it's not like my 600rr was old and worn out lol. Had 4000 kms on it when I sold it.

Thanks guys i will do as soon as back to canada. Cannot call now. By the way i have a small winter bike here 125cc and my insurance for the year is $6. Believe it or not... So i really hate paying high insurance. I will probably have to get FZ09 if cannot get good insurance for R6.

R6 is a track bike ...why would you want to ride that thing on the street ????? Buy a 1000cc (uhhh hummm) sport touring machine...I pay under a grand for full coverage on a FZ1.

R6 is a track bike ...why would you want to ride that thing on the street ????? Buy a 1000cc (uhhh hummm) sport touring machine...I pay under a grand for full coverage on a FZ1.
FZ10 is different price range and it is over my budget. Cannot compare bikes that are different price!
I really love the look of R6. Anyway i will probably go with FZ09.

FZ10 is different price range and it is over my budget. Cannot compare bikes that are different price!
My buddy just picked up a z900

Brand new bike from kawasaki

Replaces both the z800 and z1000

Lighter and faster

Awesome bike for under $10K

Insurance for my friend is $1000 a year

Kawasaki has a promo till the end of the month $0 down 0% interest for 36 months

PM me if you want more details

We got a great deal from Sturgess cycle

e4c9c53fe92e8ae9ec0e445489293e98.jpg

4da9007dc17b8134a8adb1b8631e4c2f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

the new FZ10 ya they arent cheap..but the older ones im sure you could pick up used.

what about a sv650?

my recommendation for new and younger riders, stick to smaller cc bikes or get a cruiser for a couple years...get the experience then get what you want. ya the insurance rates suck on SS sometimes especially when you are young or just no experience.

My buddy just picked up a z900

Brand new bike from kawasaki

Replaces both the z800 and z1000

Lighter and faster

Awesome bike for under $10K

Insurance for my friend is $1000 a year

Kawasaki has a promo till the end of the month $0 down 0% interest for 36 months

PM me if you want more details

We got a great deal from Sturgess cycle

4da9007dc17b8134a8adb1b8631e4c2f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
i was just looking at the z1000 earlier today, nice bikes cant wait to see the z900.

i really want to try out some more bikes this year but at the end of the day next bike will be a cruiser and ill keep my 600rr for bike weekend when we ride muskoka

Back
Top Bottom