Yamaha Smax purchase price | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha Smax purchase price

Sameer07

Hi

I have been shopping for a new Yamaha Smax. On Yamaha Canada website cost including tax comes to $4700 for a 2017 model. However, a local dealer close to my home asking $5100 also including tax for a 2016 model, which they already have it in their back storage from last year.

I told the sales person, I wouldnt mind paying $5100 for 2017 bike, but he insisted that it will be $300 more. I dont know whether to buy from this store or not.
plesae advice.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/list.php?group=MC&catId=16

thanks.

Hi

I have been shopping for a new Yamaha Smax. On Yamaha Canada website cost including tax comes to $4700 for a 2017 model. However, a local dealer close to my home asking $5100 also including tax for a 2016 model, which they already have it in their back storage from last year.

I told the sales person, I wouldnt mind paying $5100 for 2017 bike, but he insisted that it will be $300 more. I dont know whether to buy from this store or not.
plesae advice.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/list.php?group=MC&catId=16

thanks.

If you want it, don't go in there with a Mr. Nice guy attitude. Go into a dealership, walk up to a salesman and ask point blank "Do you want to sell a bike today?" Then walk directly over to the bike you want and offer him what you're willing to pay. In your case, I would offer $4000 for the SMax and listen for the reply. They may balk and say no, but a smart salesman will have a comeback offer. Ask if they want to sell it or not, then give them your final offer. If they don't want to deal, tell them you're going down the street to Honda, or Suzuki, whomever. You can get an Smax anywhere. You can get a scooter anywhere. If they don't want to deal get out of there, too many other people want your business.

does the pricing on the yamaha website include all the pesky stuff like frt and PDI and such that adds a couple hundred bucks? Bet there's is your difference.

does the pricing on the yamaha website include all the pesky stuff like frt and PDI and such that adds a couple hundred bucks? Bet there's is your difference.
Maybe. But the 2016 should still be a bit cheaper, no?

OP, motorcycle show in 2 weeks. Maybe wait till then and see who wants to move some inventory?

Sent from the Purple Zone

OP ... remember you are in the "driving" seat here. Looking at the temperature outside, type of bike (hardly a limited volume bike) etc. you should be able to call your price ... of course up to a point.

Take your time, do your research, phone around .... and then go in, decided that you are buying the bike and ready to sign, or walk away if you don't like the number proposed to you. Make sure you are always talking on OTD (out the door basis) basis, so no end surprises are involved.

JB makes a good point about end of month show .... great timing, right?

Good luck.

Try Performance Cycle in Cambridge. They have 2 2015 smax in stock, blue and silver, asking 3999. I'm sure they'd play ball, good bunch of guys.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the reply. After many months of research, It came down to either PCX 150 OR Smax. Only reason I decided to go with Smax was because the floor board.

I understand that they have FRTI/PDI. However Yamaha web site claim $4100 for a 2017 model even if you add the FRI/PDI and taxes, It shouldnt come to $5400.

Thanks

You will see on the website and in any advertisements in the tiny print "Dealers are free to set individual prices". Having said that, scooters in Ontario are not big sellers and every shop should understand that and be willing to deal, especially on last year's model. My advice is figure out how much you WANT to pay OUT THE DOOR and how much you're WILLING to pay OUT THE DOOR. Go in, offer them your WANT price and tell them you don't care how they write it up as far as how much it is for PDI or delivery etc as long as that's the price you pay OUT THE DOOR. If he/she is descent sales person they will counter. If their counter is basically what they were already asking, hold firm on your original offer. If the price moves closer, up your price a little, but again make sure you're always talking in OUT THE DOOR dollars. If they balk at your offer, tell you "no way, I couldn't do it for close to that" or whatever, remind them that there are lots of Yamaha dealers in the province and many of them will have an Smax still for sale and you'd be happy to buy from them instead. If they still won't move on the price, leave them your name and number and tell them your offer stands until you find another dealer to sell it to you at the price you want and then leave. You'll probably have a message on your phone before you get home.

You will see on the website and in any advertisements in the tiny print "Dealers are free to set individual prices". Having said that, scooters in Ontario are not big sellers and every shop should understand that and be willing to deal, especially on last year's model. My advice is figure out how much you WANT to pay OUT THE DOOR and how much you're WILLING to pay OUT THE DOOR. Go in, offer them your WANT price and tell them you don't care how they write it up as far as how much it is for PDI or delivery etc as long as that's the price you pay OUT THE DOOR. If he/she is descent sales person they will counter. If their counter is basically what they were already asking, hold firm on your original offer. If the price moves closer, up your price a little, but again make sure you're always talking in OUT THE DOOR dollars. If they balk at your offer, tell you "no way, I couldn't do it for close to that" or whatever, remind them that there are lots of Yamaha dealers in the province and many of them will have an Smax still for sale and you'd be happy to buy from them instead. If they still won't move on the price, leave them your name and number and tell them your offer stands until you find another dealer to sell it to you at the price you want and then leave. You'll probably have a message on your phone before you get home.

You sure know how to talk to the dealers .
With new found confidence, I will go there today once more. The store is only 2 minutes walk from my house.

Thanks.

I didnt get the time to go back to the dealership this weekend. however I emailed the sales person. Now he is asking $5850. I told him that the price is very steep from what is quoted in Yamaha web site, which is $4100, he said that price will same regardless which dealer I go to.

When I told him that last time he quoted $5400, he told me that is for 2016 model.

For now I am not buying anything. Thanks for all your advice.

Takecare.

Last edited:
Don't give up ... you've got to play their game. For some it's unpleasant, feels unethical etc. to negotiate, but it's perfectly normal I can assure you.

Some dealers will even tell you they have no-haggle policy, pretending that they are so sure in their competitive pricing and product. The worst can happen is when they say no to your offer and you walk away .... Remember, at some point they have to make a sale, especially in cold Ontario. Although there are dealers which seem perfectly comfortable to not sell much under MSRP ... I am not going to mention their name, but I also would never buy a bike from them either. Examples like that do exist, but most will accept a fair offer when the time and product is right.

Don't give up ... you've got to play their game. For some it's unpleasant, feels unethical etc. to negotiate, but it's perfectly normal I can assure you.

Some dealers will even tell you they have no-haggle policy, pretending that they are so sure in their competitive pricing and product. The worst can happen is when they say no to your offer and you walk away .... Remember, at some point they have to make a sale, especially in cold Ontario. Although there are dealers which seem perfectly comfortable to not sell much under MSRP ... I am not going to mention their name, but I also would never buy a bike from them either. Examples like that do exist, but most will accept a fair offer when the time and product is right.

Thanks for the reply...

I have noticed that non of the dealer I visited got a Smax 2017 in the stock. This is one reason they have the upper hand when bargaining, they are more interested in selling something from their current stock.

One Sales guy even told me that, I wait till weather gets better and stores start ordering more scooter.

Some dealers still have 2015 model, but smax from that year has been recalled for speed sensor issues.

Thanks

would be looking for a serious discount on a 2 year non-current bike, in the order of $1000

and they should be motivated, at his point the floor plan financing is gone, they are paying interest everyday it sits there

Salesman must figures he has you hooked.

Have them do the recall on the 2015 before purchase and negotiate a discount.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Smax of desperation. Have you considered trading goods and/or services for all or part of the purchase price? You never can tell in this day and age. Been hearing some pretty crazy stories lately. Crazy like a fox. Barter with no fox given then ride it like you stole it.

Get a VMax instead.

Back
Top Bottom