Anyone toured the Harley production facility in York PA? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone toured the Harley production facility in York PA?

I was in the area a few years ago & stopped at the factory for the tour. My son was too young at the time. Didn't go on the tour.
I should have left him in the car with a bowl of water & cracked open the window a bit & taken the tour by myself.

There was cool stuff in the lobby & my son got a free colouring book!

Last edited:
If you work in automotive mfg (I do) then it will be same stuff different day. If you don't work in manufacturing it will probably be an eye opener.

heres a pic of the york assy line i took while on the tour a couple of weeks ago...

5395b810fbd9a13b8e0decad8c388f8d.jpg

Did the factory tour in Chicago last year pretty good tour made my laugh when said no pictures

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Planning a group trip with a couple of friends and heading down to Gettysburg for some historical excitement is one possibility. I found that there is a Harley Davidson Production facility not to far in York. Wondering if it is worth the price for this tour? Anyone been and recommend?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/events/factory-tours/yorkpa.html

I did the tour in 2012. It was free when I did it. I thought it was a huge let-down. Some of the stations were off-limits and they jut showed you video on a screen of what was supposed to be happening in those areas; I mean you were walked around from video screen to video screen and were told that what you saw on the screen was what was happening behind the walls. The stations that we did get to see were not particularly interesting as this is an assembly plant where they put already manufactured things together mostly, though I think they do body work/painting there as well.

I also saw that many of the workers were just rushing through the motions to get to their next smoke break. I got the impression that the majority of the workers do not ride motorcycles and didn't seem to care. Maybe the impression I got was wrong. Either way, I don't recomend the tour. But maybe it has changed?

Now; you know what was cool? Down the street from the factory is a Harley dealer with their own museum in the store! And it has some seriously cool stuff and old Harleys in great condition. That was waaay better than the factory tour. http://www.1stcaphd.com/

Last edited:
I thought it was a huge let-down. Some of the stations were off-limits and they jut showed you video on a screen of what was supposed to be happening in those areas; I mean you were walked around from video screen to video screen and were told that what you saw on the screen was what was happening behind the walls. The stations that we did get to see were not particularly interesting as this is an assembly plant where they put already manufactured things together mostly, though I think they do body work/painting there as well.

I went on a tour of the GM engine plant near St Catharines years ago. The tour takes a right turn to look at something boring, so we ask a guide what is off to the left behind the barriers. "That's where we build the aluminum V8's for the corvettes, you can't go there". Dang it, that might actually be marginally interesting.

The coolest part of these tours is watching them swap dies on a punch press. The dies are room sized chunks of steel and they can change them in minutes (IIRC magna may have some that change out in less than a minute).

Took tour about six or seven years ago. Free! Impression it was just a bunch of scruffy riders putting bits together. Afternoon done. Did Gettysburg and stayed down the road at Best Western. Bike friendly and park right in front of lobby entrance. The ride down and back was the best part....

Huge plant in Milwaukee right close to bud beer factory tour

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Huge plant in Milwaukee right close to bud beer factory tour

Sent from my LG
We're riding over and doing these tours in May. If anyone has input on a fun route to WI let me know.

Back
Top Bottom