DRZ400 vs Wr250R | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

DRZ400 vs Wr250R

Fuel Injection(FI) is also good who do not like tinkering with their bikes and just want to ride. The only advantage for a carburator that I can think of is it is easier to fix when problems occur.

I don't know many people that went to FI and actually wanted to go back to carbs.

I actually prefer fuel injection. I was simple pointing out that carburetors are nothing to be afraid of.

The versys seems more of a smaller adv bike

The wr450r would def be awesome

I like the rmx400z.... Wish there was a blue plate version​
24a230004b7ffa6c322f497030ceb485.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's a 450 I believe. And it's a fantastic bike! I have the 2011. I blue plated version would be awesome!

It's carbureted right?

How much should it go for?

9 year old bike with only 900 kms

If memory serves me, they were around $7299. You do the math.

I think the big thing is people expect a premium for the blue plate (maybe rightfully so) but I'm fine with a green plate, the oftr has done wonders in Ontario as far as trails etc with green plate access.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It's a 450 I believe. And it's a fantastic bike! I have the 2011. I blue plated version would be awesome!
Although I'm a 2t fan, I'd be quite happy with an rmz450 like yours, pretty scarce to find though.

I've owned both. I had a 2008 drz400sm and a 2011 wr250r. I personally liked the drz better for everyday use. There is no replacement for displacement. That being said I'd recommend the 250r for a lot of the same reasons as mentioned on this thread. I wasted a lot of money on my drz and never did get it perfect. The drz was a drug and I kept chasing a high that couldn't be satisfied. You start with a FCR carb next thing you know your shipping your engine away to get professionally done. I need not worry anymore for I have seen the light and it was orange. I have accepted my Bavarian masters and am a loyal follower of the pumpkin brand.

Last edited:
Very true .... You see all those DRZ400's modified to nth degree in drive train and suspension ... after all is said and done ... it's still just DRZ. The bike has undoubtedly its place on the market when left stock. The moment you start throwing significant money at it its losing its luster ... even though it doesn't make sense first time you say it.

With the aftermarket money you could throw at a Drz, you'd be better off just ponying up for Ktm 530 exc.

With the aftermarket money you could throw at a Drz, you'd be better off just ponying up for Ktm 530 exc.

I've got a 530 and I love it, but a re-geared drz with the suspension set up/sprung specifically for the rider and a set of knobbies would be plenty of fun off road. Not necessarily competitive with a ktm but likely fast enough for most of us.

The weight and old style geometry and feel would be tiring in single track, but it would fine for most riding.

So what would be a good ktm alternative to a wr250?

I've had no luck finding a decent wr for sale

There isn't really a KTM competitor to a Wr250r. Ktm exc's would be a bad choice as a commuter with frequent service intervals and a 690 enduro is a lot more bike then a wr so it isn't really comparable.

The DRZ is the better commuter. Both bikes are bomb proof, so no need to be real hands on. I would say the WR would be the harder of the 2 for working on, only because of the fuel injection. The WR is better offroad for sure, but the DRZ is no slouch!

The WRR has the 6th gear which will make a big difference for commuting. If it was me, I would buy the WRR without a doubt.

LOL This is exactly how every one of these threads go. One guy says the DRZ is better for commuting due to larger engine/more power, next guy says WR is better due to FI and 6th gear.

Majority of the comparisons I've seen vote for the WR.

If you guys come across any decent wr that aren't asking for an arm and a leg please let me know

When you look at what a carb does it's actually amazing that they perform as well as they do. And they're gravity fed. That right there should put a smile on anybody's face:mad:

Truth

Fuel Injection(FI) is also good who do not like tinkering with their bikes and just want to ride. The only advantage for a carburator that I can think of is it is easier to fix when problems occur.

I don't know many people that went to FI and actually wanted to go back to carbs.

There is another advantage, and that is they are easier to tune (for some applications) if you start fiddling with things. I've never had a dual sport, but something to consider is that the DRZ has only one carb - can't get much easier to work on then that.

Early EFI did have some drawbacks. Odd throttle response, pretty dumb when it came to cold weather (the advantage mentioned above did not happen right away, you still had a manual fast idle lever)... I'm sure there was more than two things but I forget

LOL This is exactly how every one of these threads go. One guy says the DRZ is better for commuting due to larger engine/more power, next guy says WR is better due to FI and 6th gear.

Majority of the comparisons I've seen vote for the WR.

It depends as always ... Slow speed commute, or hwy commute? 6th gear s advantage if you go hwy long enough. Even in 6th, you will be buzzing at 120km/h on hwy ... The WR bike is relatively small and light. It surely will be better on gas ... As I said, it's compromise as always.

It depends as always ... Slow speed commute, or hwy commute? 6th gear s advantage if you go hwy long enough. Even in 6th, you will be buzzing at 120km/h on hwy ... The WR bike is relatively small and light. It surely will be better on gas ... As I said, it's compromise as always.
I meant for highway. One guy says DRZ with more power is better for the highway. Next guy says WR is better due to the 6th gear.

I meant for highway. One guy says DRZ with more power is better for the highway. Next guy says WR is better due to the 6th gear.
Because it's really a matter of opinion and those differ. Many times you're getting opinions from people who have only ridden one not both, and sometimes they've ridden neither just spewing what they read.
Both bikes are great, both are fine for short hwy runs. Ride both, buy one.

Back
Top Bottom