DRZ400 vs Wr250R | GTAMotorcycle.com

DRZ400 vs Wr250R

I'm going to be buying a dual sport, Yamaha WR250R, but I wanted to throw a couple of questions out there before I do.
How much more hands on does someone need to be with a DRZ, as opposed to the WR250R? I need a bike that is full proof, as I'll need it for a daily commuter.
Is the power difference between the DRZ 400 and WR250R that noticeable? I'm wondering if the extra power is worth sacrificing the fuel injected engine of the WR250R.

Apples and oranges - the DRZ400 is a street scrambler, the WR250R a fairly serious off roader.
For the real, urban world buy the DRZ.

The DRZ is the better commuter. Both bikes are bomb proof, so no need to be real hands on. I would say the WR would be the harder of the 2 for working on, only because of the fuel injection. The WR is better offroad for sure, but the DRZ is no slouch!

The WRR has the 6th gear which will make a big difference for commuting. If it was me, I would buy the WRR without a doubt.

Owned a WRR for years. Never ridden or owned a DRZ

WRR
lacks torque down low
not only does it love to rev, it needs to rev to extract the most out of the engine. Unless slipping the clutch, no front wheel lofting power until about 25kph.
wide ratio 6 spd gear box with ratios that I found to be perfectly matched to the engine's output with stock sprockets
more adjustable and modern suspension
more ground clearance
better suited to harder offroad riding
too tall for short folks like myself
my WRR had a speed wobble/headshake on the highway with the stock tires and aftermarket DS tires at about 110-140kph. Don't know what causes it.

DRZ
more torque down low
specced and looks like agriculture equipment compared to the WRR
no 6th speed to putt along at low revs on the superslab

I love torque. To me the torque deficit of the WRR is somewhat manageable through clutch work. Even with the excessive height of the WRR and its lack of torque down low, I found it to be a really fun bike and to me, it was an easy choice between the two.

My drz was a fantastic dual sport. It's a great bike for a mix of street/trails, dead reliable and aftermarket is huge. It's more capable off road than most think, I have several trophies from Offroad Ontario race series to prove it.
In the end its your decision, fuel injection and 6th gear or power and torque. Both are great bikes, you won't be disappointed either way.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Wow! This is some great information, especially for the DRZ. The bike I buy will definitely be used more so for the street. I'd say about 75% street and 25% off road. I think my biggest worry is that the DRZ is carbureted. The only real experience that I have with this was on small engines and it was hell, lol. Is it something that's going to need to be fidgeted with often?

Wow! This is some great information, especially for the DRZ. The bike I buy will definitely be used more so for the street. I'd say about 75% street and 25% off road. I think my biggest worry is that the DRZ is carbureted. The only real experience that I have with this was on small engines and it was hell, lol. Is it something that's going to need to be fidgeted with often?

You have to be a little more careful during storage, but there are lots of DRZ400 forums that can help with any problems that arise. That's the beauty of buying something that's been in production for so long.

Don't be afraid of the carburetor. With proper care and maintenance, it'll perform properly literally forever. Turn your fuel off when the bike is going to sit for a bit, and proper care during storage is important. The biggest difference is cold starting. The DRZ will need to warm up for a few minutes before it operates properly. Fuel injection almost completely eliminates this of course, but when things go wrong, it'll likely be more expensive to fix. Fuel injection helps a lot if you'll be riding where large differences in elevation will take place. But, since we're in ontario, you'll be fine.

Don't be afraid of the carburetor. With proper care and maintenance, it'll perform properly literally forever. Turn your fuel off when the bike is going to sit for a bit, and proper care during storage is important. The biggest difference is cold starting. The DRZ will need to warm up for a few minutes before it operates properly. Fuel injection almost completely eliminates this of course, but when things go wrong, it'll likely be more expensive to fix. Fuel injection helps a lot if you'll be riding where large differences in elevation will take place. But, since we're in ontario, you'll be fine.
Fuel Injection(FI) is also good who do not like tinkering with their bikes and just want to ride. The only advantage for a carburator that I can think of is it is easier to fix when problems occur.

I don't know many people that went to FI and actually wanted to go back to carbs.

When you look at what a carb does it's actually amazing that they perform as well as they do. And they're gravity fed. That right there should put a smile on anybody's face:mad:

The only time I don't like a carbed bike is when it's "cold blooded" like my little ZZR250 was.
Shut off on me while I was riding because it got cold ....

On the KLR, I have zero issues. Starts great, runs smooth.

With that said, if the price is similar, I'd go for newer technology.

I wish one of the japanese manufacturers would make a 400cc FI lightweight dualsport bike (like the wr but bigger)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why do people assume the Wr250 is light? It's only 15lbs or so lighter than the drz....

I meant light weight in general but with FI

Agreed. I think it's coming. The Japanese are starting to wake up to the popularity of adventure and dualsport bikes. Versys 300, Africa twin, yamaha t7, crf250 rally, lots of new offerings and I think there's more coming.
I'd really love to see the drz get updated at some point. Besides colour I mean.
A wr450r would be fantastic.

Versys 300

A wr450r would be fantastic.

The versys seems more of a smaller adv bike

The wr450r would def be awesome

I like the rmx400z.... Wish there was a blue plate version​
24a230004b7ffa6c322f497030ceb485.jpg

The versys seems more of a smaller adv bike

The wr450r would def be awesome

I like the rmx400z.... Wish there was a blue plate version​
24a230004b7ffa6c322f497030ceb485.jpg

Like a KTM 350/500 EXC? That is what most people ask for, but many are not willing to pay the price for it. It is almost like people who want to buy gold, but only want to pay the prices for copper.

Back
Top Bottom