2017 Harley Street Rod | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 Harley Street Rod

DECIMIS

I'm really liking the look of it! Top of my list to demo in 2017.

17-hd-street-rod-1-large.jpg

Looks like they've done some nice additions to the chassis. I'd seriously consider this as a second bike for zipping around town. That Revolution engine is probably going to replace the 883 and 1200 air-cooled engine soon. Hopefully they can do a 900 or 1000cc one in the future.

According to a poll by CivicScience, 14% of the Millennial population are looking at buying their first motorcycle or another replacement. That's a pretty big demographic HD can target, and they need to. The Boomer's knees are giving out at an accelerating rate.

Looks nicer to me than most other HD's.
I'd still rather have the new Triumph bobber as an around town, non SS bike.
...or an HD night-rod in all black *drool*

Rode the 750cc last year.
The motor surprised me - it had a lot more pep than I was expecting. Transmission shifted smoothly. The suspension was pillow soft, which made the bike wallow a bunch, but was still rideable.

The brakes are ***BEYOND*** terrible. I am surprised that they are even allowed on the road with the system the way it is. The front brakes need to be upgraded first and foremost - I managed to pull the lever all the way to the bar (took some effort), and then they decided to start slowing the bike down. New pads, braided line and a much better master cylinder are desperately needed.
To do any sort of somewhat effective braking, you had to downshift and use both front and rear brakes. I pity anyone who needs to do some emergency braking. There are many articles online by professional reviewers who state they had complete and total front brake fade during longer hills while braking, and even after 2 or 3 harder stops in short order.

Calipers look different on the Street Rod, dual piston Nissans or Tokicos?

Until someone figures out how to design cool looking radiators (wink), I'd stick with a Lowrider S, the one with those Trans-Am gold rims. Seems odd that HD is so reluctant to beef up the suspension and brakes. Cost can't be a worry. Weight and geometry would prevent the all-too-common problem of flying over the handlebars. Beefier components would accessorize well with both heavyset and steroid-injected physiques. Brembo and Ohlins logos lend themselves nicely to tattooing. Even the hardcore sliders could be soothed with an ALHD (automatic lay her down) feature built into the traction controller.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Isn't the Street Rod a type of V-Rod? Not a 'Street'?

Last edited:
I'm confused. Isn't the Street Rod a type of V-Rod? Not a 'Street'?

HD made a v-rod Street Rod about 10 years ago. Only offered for a couple years.

HD made a v-rod Street Rod about 10 years ago. Only offered for a couple years.

I think this is the last year for the V-rod, NightRod, et al. The Street series engine is a newer design and there's some speculation that a larger version of it is coming since they are replacing the flat track Sportster they use for racing.

any news on how their "riderless bike" program is going ?

xr1200 redux? would demo but not buy.

Until someone figures out how to design cool looking radiators (wink), I'd stick with a Lowrider S, the one with those Trans-Am gold rims. Seems odd that HD is so reluctant to beef up the suspension and brakes. Cost can't be a worry. Weight and geometry would prevent the all-too-common problem of flying over the handlebars. Beefier components would accessorize well with both heavyset and steroid-injected physiques. Brembo and Ohlins logos lend themselves nicely to tattooing. Even the hardcore sliders could be soothed with an ALHD (automatic lay her down) feature built into the traction controller.

not a priority for a bike that's usually sitting stationary, or on a trailer

I'm liking the breakout.I'd have to have a spoke wheel on the front wheel though with the 110 ci motor ; )

Looks better in that photo than others. Too much plastic ugly pieces. The Triumph equivalent is a nicer bike in every way imo.

Always hated Harley's but I'm loving the new design direction. The new Roadster's are gorgeous. Great bike for around $10K to cruise up and down the strip.

060216-9K-Shootout-Harley-Iron-883-12.jpg

Always hated Harley's but I'm loving the new design direction. The new Roadster's are gorgeous. Great bike for around $10K to cruise up and down the strip.

My thoughts exactly, between the new sportster 883 and the street rod, i like the direction harley is going visually.

Although still not as good as my beloved triumphs.

Joe Bass agrees with this.

Sent from the Purple Zone

20 posts in an HD thread and no posts from our resident HD fanboy....
I'm actually a little worried about the old guy.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Back
Top Bottom