How to Pick Aftermarket Bars | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to Pick Aftermarket Bars

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Just curious, since I'm fiddling around with the bike in the garage awaiting good weather. Since there's dozens of different bar bends is there a technique at all to pick a bar bend that suits you? Not like you can take your bike there and install each bar to see how it feels.

What are you trying to achieve by changing your handlebars? You may need bar raiser or to simply adjust your current bars. I used to like the pro taper fat bars but found it hard to fit various wrap around hand guards on them cause the mounts weren't the best. I never thought about the bend though just thought they were all similar. There's also flex bars now, I don't. Know if they are more suited to MX riding vs XC riding?

I'm not changing them, just curious if/when it came time to change how people decide. Personally I've always just adapted to whatever the bike came with.

Are you talking about clip-ons or tubular style bars ?
I've always found the best way with tubulars is to sit on the bike, close your eyes, see where your hands end up being most comfortable and go from there.
Clip-ons, well that's a whole other deal. Are any really, truly comfortable ?

Are you talking about clip-ons or tubular style bars ?
I've always found the best way with tubulars is to sit on the bike, close your eyes, see where your hands end up being most comfortable and go from there.
Clip-ons, well that's a whole other deal. Are any really, truly comfortable ?
It's the dirt/sumo thread. You see many dirtbikes with clip-on?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

As long as your not getting silly with like a set of super tall freestyle bars it's pretty much personal preference. Personally I like a low rise without a lot of sweep so a low flat bar basically. Find it helps my corners as opposed to a taller bar. I also almost always set my bars at the neutral mark on the clamps and bar marking.

I didn't like my bars. Too low. 2" risers fixed the problem for minimal hassle and expense. You can even stack proper sized washers to do the trick.

This was after taking all the measurements of the bars and then deciding where I would actually like them to be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom