Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 84 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Whoops, yes, that was a typo - 700 to 1000 watts, not 10,000 watts. ;)

Our furnace is a single speed forced air natural gas, original to the house circa 1988. When the fan is initially starting I see about a 1500w surge, but once it's spooled up and running it hovers just slightly over 700 watts.

Newer furnaces with multi speed fans are likely to be on the lower side of that for running watts when the fan is on super low speed, but probably slightly higher when the fan ramps up to a super high speed for higher heating/cooling demand.

Last edited:
For the Bolt, I ran 100amp to our barn (which feeds the garage as well). If in the future I get a 2nd EV I will set up a 2nd Juicebox pro since it they will talk to each other and you can set them to account for even being on the same circuit. So if you have 2 EVs plugged in on the same 50amp circuit it will charge both at half rate until one is complete and then provide full power to the remaining EV. Alternately via the app you can tell one to not charge until the first is done.

So, with a little time on my hands, I decided to have a really close look at the current EV market (I think this could help other people if they are shopping/looking as well) .... with few non-negotiable conditions:

- car cannot be bigger than VW Golf .... specifically the length is a concern
- budget 30K OTD (not necessarily paying cash, but this is what I am willing to go to with financing ... or reasonably equivalent lease deal)
- Available for delivery in next 2-3 mths (what I mean by that is that, I am not putting deposit down without having a firm delivery day ... more on that later)
- Real world EV range 150km

So the above quickly takes Volt and Bolt out. Volt for size reasons (really need Cruze hatch with Voltec ... LOL), Bolt for price and availability reasons (no 2017 stock, 2018 can be ordered, with no certain delivery date ...)

Yesterday, I was surprised to find out that VW dealers have 2017 e-Golfs for test drive (I owned 2010 Golf TDI until last year, so I know damn well what the car can do). So, I hopped into one and basically was ready to sign a dotted line .... that's when I was delivered the bad news. We cannot tell you when in 2018 you'd receive the car. First, they indicated end of spring, beg. of summer ... which later turned into ... "I spoke to the manager and something is going on in the head-office, since they are telling us now that Aug 2018 is more likely". Needless to say, that I flat out said that I am not going to enter into binding agreement with no date, or date which is 9 months away ... a lot will happen in the marketplace in the meantime. I am not sure who runs VW, but surely this company is weird. They can produce, in my opinion flat out best budget hatchback, now available with EV drive train, yet they cannot figure out how the heck to satisfy demand, or at least provide some firm dates and numbers (they cannot even confirm what the lease/finance rates will be ..... really, and they want me to sign binding agreement??? I laughed .... to which the rep said, honestly, we already have sold 10 and people even didn't care. I believe them, perhaps I am getting really old. The fact of the matter is that it was a typical German arrogance on display, knowing damn well that they have a gem on their hands. I have not driven yet anything else than Bolt, but this Golf was just right. Quick enough, with superb handling no other EV will provide right now (I am not talking Tesla, because it's a different price world). I am pretty convinced of that and I completely understand now, why they have sold a lot of them in Europe.

Moving on, I am trying to get my hands on used i3 (I could live with the Range extender ... after all, I learned it actually works pretty well, if you know what you are doing) and brand new 2018 Kia Soul. Other cars are really not an option. Or do you think I am forgetting something?

There are Bolts out there. Trader.ca shows 3 in the province, one actually just in Woodbridge, and another in Toronto...but it's a premier at a higher price.

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/chevr...-Used&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=basicSearch

The Woodbridge one, at $44K, after the $14K rebate puts it square in your $30K price range.

As for the availability of EV's, this seems to be a common issue amongst all manufacturers, not just VW.

Last edited:
Amazing how there seems to be a new norm developing around car buying that resembles the housing market; you put down your purchase order before they lay down any foundations. It's basically like the crowdfunding model that takes all the risk off the manufacturer and puts it on the consumer's shoulders. Why would anyone agree to that? Crazy.

Sorry for deviating off topic, back to you regularly scheduled cost-per-km brag-athon.

Why not ask to buy the 2017 demo mxs?

Amazing how there seems to be a new norm developing around car buying that resembles the housing market; you put down your purchase order before they lay down any foundations. It's basically like the crowdfunding model that takes all the risk off the manufacturer and puts it on the consumer's shoulders. Why would anyone agree to that? Crazy.

Good question ... I am not so sure. Probably the same reason why people keep Tesla afloat. Plenty of people who really care about the environment and finally can replace their cars with something up their alley. I care, but not to that extent, I'll be honest.

Sorry for deviating off topic, back to you regularly scheduled cost-per-km brag-athon.

LOL ... you are forgiven.

There are Bolts out there. Trader.ca shows 3 in the province, one actually just in Woodbridge, and another in Toronto...but it's a premier at a higher price.

http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/chevr...-Used&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=basicSearch

The Woodbridge one, at $44K, after the $14K rebate puts it square in your $30K price range.

As for the availability of EV's, this seems to be a common issue amongst all manufacturers, not just VW.

The Woodbridge is LT only ... so no heated anything hence it is only 31 after rebate plus plus . That's a screw up by Chevrolet if you ask me ... no way I am buying a car without heated front seat. Every other manufacturer gets it (the ones I looked at) ... basic model in Canada should have heated seats. Period.

As far as availability ... the only manufacturer who has cars available on dealers lots is Kia. I can have the Soul tomorrow, if that is the conclusion of my search. After that, it's a lot of silence and pretty much Mar 2018 .... I assume that's when Bolts, new Leafs will start trickling in.

Last edited:
Just came back from used i3 test drive .. it was 2014 model with about 50K. Wow, the car handling and power are absolutely no issue. It had completely bold tires, but still handled through bends like a dream. The problem with used i3 is the price and non-existent good finance rate. It seems to be a non-starter ... I even explained it to the guy and he kind of agreed with me.

I must say, I feel for the sorry souls who have to represent the manufacturers and try to sell EV's up here ... I would not last a day with that amount of corporate BS going around. He was trying to look up lease rate on 2018's (once they restart production). He says ... "Sorry, I don't have it here in my spreadsheet, I don't know what's going. I do have the i8 lease rate though" ... LOL ... they actually had two available units in the showroom ... Oakville, I guess has the dough.

Don't forget the Hyundai Ioniq (I've seen a couple of the electrics out on the road and it could meet your size limit)

The Woodbridge is LT only ... so no heated anything hence it is only 31 after rebate plus plus . That's a screw up by Chevrolet if you ask me ... no way I am buying a car without heated front seat. Every other manufacturer gets it (the ones I looked at) ... basic model in Canada should have heated seats. Period.

As far as availability ... the only manufacturer who has cars available on dealers lots is Kia. I can have the Soul tomorrow, if that is the conclusion of my search. After that, it's a lot of silence and pretty much Mar 2018 .... I assume that's when Bolts, new Leafs will start trickling in.

My Bolt LT has heated front seats and steering wheel, supposed to be standard on all Canadian Bolts regardless of trim level. Bolt availability is also getting better, seeing many more deliveries and hearing rumors of increased production. We took the chance and waited for one, but I can understand not wanting to put down the money with no set delivery date.

My Bolt LT has heated front seats and steering wheel, supposed to be standard on all Canadian Bolts regardless of trim level.

Not according to their own website and dealer confirmed it. However the same dealer has said that it's probably possible that you can order LT with heated seats, but he was not sure. Judging by your reply, it is perhaps possible, but by default Premier gets it LT does not.

Not according to their own website and dealer confirmed it. However the same dealer has said that it's probably possible that you can order LT with heated seats, but he was not sure. Judging by your reply, it is perhaps possible, but by default Premier gets it LT does not.
I would go look as dealers tend to have no idea my lt volt has heated steering wheel and seats as standard.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Strange, I was under the impression that all CDN Bolts would get heated front seats, but only the Premier could get the heated rear seats. Given the near complete lack of knowledge that most dealers seem to have about the Bolts, I would go look at it just in case they are wrong. That would really be the basest of base cars, there are so few options on the LT.

It's available option ... the person ordering has to pay for. If it is a unit on the lot, ordered without one, you are out of luck. There's other things which are part of Premier, but not even option on LT ... heated seats are not one of those.

I remember Chevy was criticized for this in some Canadian media reviews. Considering that most others have it.

Chevrolet.ca shows heated seats as “available” on the LT, not standard.

5 years ago I used to Pooh-Pooh heated seats as something silly. Then I bought a car (our old 300) with them and have never looked back. On an EV I consider them even more so essential as they help you from needing to crank the HVAC to achieve the same level of comfort, at the expense of kilometres.

I’d go look at the close one anyways - I agree, half the time the salesmen/dealership doesn’t even know what they’re selling. It may have it, who knows.

Don't forget the Hyundai Ioniq (I've seen a couple of the electrics out on the road and it could meet your size limit)

Talked to a Hyundai rep and they might be getting a demo in soon but deliveries won't start until spring.

Which one is that? Or you mean ask around if they have one somewhere?

On post 1663 you said you test drove a 2017 eGolf. So why not ask to buy that one?

Back
Top Bottom