Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 80 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Did a whole ton of running around today, went to the Oshawa Centre afterwards and ended up being there long enough to get a full recharge on their chargers (8.6KW) for free, used 1KW driving home, and topping off now. Total cost for about 50KM of around town errands and such will be about $0.08 in electricity now that we're back home.

There was a blue Bolt parked next to us in the EV parking spaces at the mall. My wife eyeballed it and wasn't wowed with the styling. Uh oh. Better show her one of the copper coloured ones next time, that is one of her favourite colours.. ;)

I noticed that what had been the EV parking spots at Home Depot are no longer sporting EV signs and the green patch has been scrubbed out. 120 volt plugs are still there. Is the fad over?

I noticed that what had been the EV parking spots at Home Depot are no longer sporting EV signs and the green patch has been scrubbed out. 120 volt plugs are still there. Is the fad over?

Funny you mention that as I noticed the same thing yesterday. Honestly I've never seen them used, and on a 120V charge you'll get 1-2km at best so not even worth it. Only benefit would be closer parking....but I don't see the point of providing that (and I'm an EV driver)!

Plus regular cars will always park there regardless as they don't think that EV drivers/cars are special.

Funny you mention that as I noticed the same thing yesterday. Honestly I've never seen them used, and on a 120V charge you'll get 1-2km at best so not even worth it. Only benefit would be closer parking....but I don't see the point of providing that (and I'm an EV driver)!

Plus regular cars will always park there regardless as they don't think that EV drivers/cars are special.

If it's damn cold out and I am going to be in the store for a while, I have plugged in the VW to keep some heat in the engine. My range gained from a warmer engine probably exceeds the range an EV gains from charging during the same period. I won't block 220V charging stalls, but 120 is useless enough that I just don't care.

As mentioned, 120V charging stations at a place where you're unlikely to be there more than a half hour at best is a joke. By the time you get your EVSE out and plug it in for a 20 minute visit you might get 1KM or so. Not worth the effort.

Nice idea, but poor execution.

Apparently retailers are finding that shoppers spend more time than average in their store if they have a place to plug in their EV. So they may be installed to benefit the retailer rather than the shopper.

Apparently retailers are finding that shoppers spend more time than average in their store if they have a place to plug in their EV. So they may be installed to benefit the retailer rather than the shopper.

Exactly. It's no coincidence that most malls have EV charging stations now.

Owners love them because they're getting free "gas" while they shop. Malls love them because for a few pennies in electricity people stay in the mall longer. Malls and the retailers also love them because EV sometimes = more affluent clientelle as well, meaning more money potentially spent there.

As mentioned, 120V charging stations at a place where you're unlikely to be there more than a half hour at best is a joke. By the time you get your EVSE out and plug it in for a 20 minute visit you might get 1KM or so. Not worth the effort.

Nice idea, but poor execution.

If you have to ask for help at my HD you could get a decent charge while waiting.

If you have to ask for help at my HD you could get a decent charge while waiting.

At between 7-9 hours for a full charge on even a Volt, much less a Tesla or a Bolt, that’s a hard one to agree with.

Fun fact about the Volt: If you are low enough on gas that the low fuel warning comes on, you can only Precondition the car once no matter how much battery you got.

Spotted my first Tesla charging station in Barrie at the walmart on Bayfield st. There looks to be about 20-30 charging stations.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Fun fact about the Volt: If you are low enough on gas that the low fuel warning comes on, you can only Precondition the car once no matter how much battery you got.

Interesting...wonder what the engineers reasoning was behind that.

Another fun fact I discovered yesterday - on 2011's and 2012's you don't need the TPMS tool to recalibrate the wheels after a change, there's a method to do it by just putting the car in calibrate mode and then bleeding tire pressure until it honks at you.

Another fun fact I discovered yesterday - on 2011's and 2012's you don't need the TPMS tool to recalibrate the wheels after a change, there's a method to do it by just putting the car in calibrate mode and then bleeding tire pressure until it honks at you.

That's how it worked on my '06 Caddy as well. It sucks that you need a special tool now.

Has anyone seen, or does anyone know someone who bought the IONIQ Electric?

So they do exist. Good to know. I am just trying to gauge availability in Canada.

I've never seen one - Hyundai doesn't really seem to be moving them - I see far more Volts (and heck, even Bolts) out there than Ioniq's, at least the true EV version, not the hybrid.

The only thing I know about then is what I gathered from the video below. It's interesting, but they try to do a rather unrealistic trip for a car with such a short true EV range, and they skipped past several DCFC options whilst opting for L2 options instead.

[video=youtube;kIGrTCcnUSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=385&v=kIGrTCcnUSY[/video]

Last edited:

Ive seen a handful of them on my daily 401 commute and 1 or 2 on city streets. Personally I like the subtle look.

The total # of Ioniq EVs I've seen is 4 (5, if you include one that I saw on a dealer's lot). I've also seen the same # of Ioniq hybrids on the roads, so neither's out there in big numbers.

Back
Top Bottom