Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 79 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

The same cannot be said for many other manufacturers offerings. 2013 leafs for example are showing 10-15% loss already with far less miles than our Volt already has. If that’s linear and in another 4 years it’s lost 30% or its capacity and it’s out of warranty, that makes it arguably fairly valueless - a car that might go 40-50km and leaves you dead on the road.

You know someone up here in Canada with 2013 Leaf and 15% degradation? I know in Arizona there's plenty ... but this is not Arizona climate up here. Vehicles have issues related to climate all the time ... this is just another one of those. Albeit, I agree that it is something to watch. If they come up with decent lease, it's a no-brainer. Just for this one reason, rendering the whole resale value not your problem to be.

I just came back from a customer of mine who builds parts for the Bolt. They're scrambling to find ways to increase production volume. Not the worst problem to have.

Normally, I'd agree. In this case, I am not sure GM is crazy happy about this.

Since the US federal rebate is applied to taxes owed when a person files their income tax, not everyone gets the full amount. As a result, I don't think the US Federal tax rebate has had the same kind of response as Ontario's rebate. Consequently, it doesn't seem like the manufacturers put a huge amount of weight in the tax rebate incentive in their strategies for selling EVs.
Tesla adds the rebate into their quotes as an "estimated saving" along with fuel savings. Considering they're already near the 200,000 mark for EVs sold, at which point the credit drops off, and that there's some 350,000 orders for the Model 3 (including those who've cancelled by now), there will be more than a few unhappy customers when the time comes for them to actually try and claim their credit. This is a real issue that is just one more unknown in the adoption of EVs, Teslas in particular.

By the time the dreadnought factory comes alive, if ever, the one-year countdown for Tesla's credit elimination will hopefully not have started so they can get at least those US orders filled within the year and buyers may be placated by the 50% or 25% of the $7500 credit they thought they were going to get. If we start to see Tesla refuse to take money for US orders around the time their 199,999th US car would be sold, we'll know why.

It's almost as if Elon conceived of the dreadnought production concept around the idea of a one-year window for the tax credit to wind down. You want to chuck out as many cars as possible in that window of opportunity so a fully automated high-speed operation is the only way to go. No one ever called Elon dumb.

To answer GGs question though, it would be hard to transfer much of the brand equity (not to mention stock equity) contained in the Tesla name to another company, but maybe Elon can pull it off with another one of his plainspoken speeches about the picture perfect society we can all expect to live in if all we do is buy his products.

Last edited:
To answer GGs question though, it would be hard to transfer much of the brand equity (not to mention stock equity) contained in the Tesla name to another company, but maybe Elon can pull it off with another one of his plainspoken speeches about the picture perfect society we can all expect to live in if all we do is buy his products.

I wasn't expecting him to transfer the brand equity or stock equity. Either leave Tesla alone making the expensive cars where the tax credit matters less or sell it to someone (I was going to say the auto manufacturer furthest behind, but they don't have enough money). The new company would truly be a new company Musk founded to get access to a new batch of credits (and a new spaceship full of cash when he IPO's it).

I wasn't expecting him to transfer the brand equity or stock equity. Either leave Tesla alone making the expensive cars where the tax credit matters less or sell it to someone (I was going to say the auto manufacturer furthest behind, but they don't have enough money). The new company would truly be a new company Musk founded to get access to a new batch of credits (and a new spaceship full of cash when he IPO's it).
Actually that's a good point. Apple has a bit 'o cash. Amazon. Maybe a partnership of other companies who are all vying to get into the autonomous vehicle field first because the first one in usually dominates. That's almost too obvious now that I think about it. Elon doesn't care about the money or the credit, he just wants to get his a** to Mars 'tout de suite'!

No one ever called Elon normal.

Last edited:
Quite a few of them around now. Seems like though they have some real issues with them. Plus it's just hybrid, with no real EV on the roadmap. Or have I missed something?

Quite a few of them around now. Seems like though they have some real issues with them. Plus it's just hybrid, with no real EV on the roadmap. Or have I missed something?

It seems that they're having an engine stalling issue, but it appears to affect the regular model, I don't know if it affects the hybrid.

It's similar to volt. Plug in with 50 to 70 km range on battery.

It's similar to volt. Plug in with 50 to 70 km range on battery.
We looked at one 30km range slightly cheaper for the hybrid than the regular with the rebate but the range killed it for us the volt is just barely where we need the pacifica was not even close.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yep, it's just too short for anything meaningful. Unless,of course it's a commute vehicle too, and the commute is most of the time within the realistic range.

I would never expect to see any sort of Tesla/Apple partnership. Neither Musk nor Cook strike me as people that are terribly interested in sharing the spotlight, and I don't think Tesla is putting out products that live up to the exacting standards that Apple is known for, either...and Apple isn't known for lowering it's standards.

Apple or Amazon could go it alone I think, and Teslas are largely viewed as the iPhone of cars already anyways. But other companies would need to form a partnership I think, like an auto manufacturer with a tech company. Though traditional manufacturers would face the challenge of integrating Tesla with their existing marketing and sales methods or face a backlash from dealers in particular.

Though traditional manufacturers would face the challenge of integrating Tesla with their existing marketing and sales methods or face a backlash from dealers in particular.

Reverse takeover to eliminate the dealers? I know they cracked down on these when they are used for tax purposes, but I'm not sure it has been used to cut out an entire step in the supply chain before.

I doubt normal car manufacturers could survive with Tesla's distribution model. For the past 50+ years, head office has juiced sales numbers by pushing vehicles on dealers (who then discount them to get them off the lot). Having to report what actually went to customers hands and axing the discounts consumers expect would be a painful transition.

No one is going to buy Tesla at current valuations of its stock price. It's irrelevant whether they "could". It just isn't worthwhile.

If they completely crash and burn, then maybe, but then what? In terms of vehicles, powertrains, and batteries, Tesla doesn't know how to do anything that the mainstream auto manufacturers don't. Yes, they built the Supercharger network ... but it has already been stated that Tesla will license that out to anyone who wants to use it (at a price). That has not happened yet ... partly because of "not invented here" on the part of other manufacturers, and partly because doing so would involve dealing with Elon Musk.

We looked at one 30km range slightly cheaper for the hybrid than the regular with the rebate but the range killed it for us the volt is just barely where we need the pacifica was not even close.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't know the value of the intangibles but they would include use of HOV lanes, preferred parking spots and being able to hobnob with tree huggers, all while running an ICE.

Back
Top Bottom