Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 50 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

As usual with these things, esp with new and game changing tech, "the market will decide"

Clearly, the Volt has been out for a while now, the Bolt fairly recently, both languish on dealer lots as there is very little interest.

The Tesla on the other hand, all those preorders for an unknown and unproven vehicle? automakers would kill for that kind of notoriety and buzz.

From what I can see, Tesla is doing everything right, and I see no reason why the Tesla 3 won't be a success.

It's interesting to see the comments of people with T3 pre-orders. Rumour has it that multi-motor and larger battery options will become available at some point in the future, but not at launch. Many people with pre-orders are trying to figure out the process for bumping themselves back in line so they can get the options. I couldn't find anyone that knew how that process would actually work (eg. can you get in a different line? do you go all the way to the back? can you get a 3 month delay? etc)

It's interesting to see the comments of people with T3 pre-orders. Rumour has it that multi-motor and larger battery options will become available at some point in the future, but not at launch. Many people with pre-orders are trying to figure out the process for bumping themselves back in line so they can get the options. I couldn't find anyone that knew how that process would actually work (eg. can you get in a different line? do you go all the way to the back? can you get a 3 month delay? etc)
LOL those people will be moving themselves to the back of the line forever. When it comes to tech, the best is always the next thing to come out of the factory. Unless you need the thing now, in which case the best is whatever's out now.

Sounds like those folks don't actually need another car.

Sounds like those folks don't actually need another car.

Ding ding ding. I wonder how many T3 pre-orders were bought to potentially sell or just to be able to get one if it happens to be awesome. The barrier to entry was pretty low, I expect a lot of people will back out when it comes time to sign a 40K cheque.

Ding ding ding. I wonder how many T3 pre-orders were bought to potentially sell or just to be able to get one if it happens to be awesome. The barrier to entry was pretty low, I expect a lot of people will back out when it comes time to sign a 40K cheque.

and Elon don't give a crap. This is sheer brilliance here folks..... collect millions and millions of dollars from "deposits" to finance your project WITHOUT PAYING A DIME IN INTEREST.

he knows some will bail, but there will be many more to take their place. and Elon stands to collect a tidy profit when he collects the $35k+ on each machine when all is said and done.

Not if it costs more than $35k to build.

Apparently the production plan calls for a very slow ramp up from now through December. Only 30 cars are scheduled to be built in July. For any other manufacturer, those would be pilot-build cars (to get the inevitable teething issues out of the production line) and customers wouldn't receive them. It will be interesting to see how *that* works out. Aside from the novelty of it, I'm not sure I'd want any of the pilot-build cars.

They could just cancel and then re-reserve I would suspect - AFAIK reservations are not closed at this point, so it would make sense to me that that'd be a quick way to the back of the line.

How is the Bolt treating you, Lunatic?

Doesn't sound like he's got it yet. Lunatic, do followup here with your experiences when you get it though, I (as well as others here I suspect) will be very interested to follow your experiences, especially since one is probably in our future 3-4 years down the road.

The Tesla on the other hand, all those preorders for an unknown and unproven vehicle? automakers would kill for that kind of notoriety and buzz.

From what I can see, Tesla is doing everything right, and I see no reason why the Tesla 3 won't be a success.

Tesla, the new automotive fanboy love affair, where the company could never ever make any mistakes, every product is a guaranteed hit, and the outlook is all rainbows and butterflies.

Worked for Apple...

Hey, there's still people defending the Samsung Note 7's as the greatest phone since sliced bread despite that whole pesky bursting into flames thing.

I prefer to see what happens with a manufacturer/product first, and base a decision upon facts, not hype. My modest pessimism on the Model 3 at this point is based on questionable Tesla quality thus far (and rushing the 3 to production with little testing could yet go horribly wrong), and all the other negatives I've mentioned several times earlier in this thread, including limited service and parts availability.

Time will tell, but I am not one to go headlong into Fanboi mode blind to the facts. If the model 3 is a success I'll be happy, it can only do good things for EV's as a whole. But I'll wait and see before singing it's praises. There will need to be 30-50K of them in the wild before we'll really start getting an honest picture as well as I'm sure since many of them will go to the aforementioned fanboy crowd who would never be upset even if their car died the day after they drive it off the lot. We need to wait for the "Joe Plumbers" to get their car and drive it for 6 months before we will start to really get a clear picture of the ownership/reliability/service picture, good or bad.

So, I was looking at the odometer earlier today while showing the car to someone.

Since we took delivery, as of today, we've put over 12,000KM on it in a little over 3 months.

It is averaging 3.1L/100KM between electric and gas, so it's burned 372L of gas, and electricity is averaging roughly $30/month. So, assuming $1.10/L for gas over that period (it's been above, it's been below) total cost of travelling those 12,000K has been about $500.00 give or take a few dollars.

To put that in perspective, we were spending between $450-$600 per month for gas in her old 300 (so lets say $500) plus we would have had at least one $50 oil change in that time period, whereas the Volt has needed none and still remains at 79% oil life..

So, roughly looking at things, the Volt has now saved us in excess of $1000 since we purchased it. Continuing on the same math x8 more months of the year, at $3000.00 per year savings, the car will pay for itself inside a little more than 4 years vs the 300 she drove before. For someone driving a 15L/100KM vehicle and buying a used Volt in the same price range as what we paid for ours, this could be brought down to 4 years or less easily - even more so if one can focus more on electric miles vs mixed miles like us.

If my wife does get charging at work (it's still in the pipes, but not sure were it'll go) these savings would easily have been significantly better since she'd not be burning gas on the way home from work every day, but still..no complaints.

And FWIW, at 3.1L/100KM vs a Prius' 4.5L/100KM, we saved 168L of gas, for a difference of $184 in gas saved. Even including electricity over the 4 month period we are still operating under the cost of a Prius...and hey, we don't have to drive a butt ugly slug Prius. ;)

Have been doing the math but until my reliable, and 8/100km car keeps chugging along it just doesn't make sense financially:(

saw a nice 2016 for sale with 50k but I think they wanted $28k for it....which is the price of New after rebate. A dealer told me last week that they can't keep them on the lot. How long until the subsidy disappears?

My Physiotherapist has a Prius V and he hates it. Says the seat is awful and it has the turning radius of a stretch limo, plus meh fuel economy. Said he wanted to test drive a Volt but couldn't find one on a lot.
I guess they are moving faster than I thought.

Meanwhile my pristine G37 sits on the lot where I traded it in

Have been doing the math but until my reliable, and 8/100km car keeps chugging along it just doesn't make sense financially:(

I do recognize and appreciate the math needs to work out. For us, it certainly is, and for someone like yourself, well...it really would depend on how much you could focus on the cheap electric driving vs needing the gas side to swing those numbers.

Needing to have the math "make sense" was one of the primary reasons we didn't own a Volt 5 or 6 years ago when they first come out. I saw them all over the local GM head office here in Oshawa (where I used to deliver semi regularly) and I drooled over them, but I couldn't justify it from a dollars and cents standpoint, savings or not. However, at $13K used, well...the math made sense all of a sudden.

Anyhow, my wife sent me this photo this morning after arriving at work.

voltdrivejuly10.jpg

Amazingly close to having made it all the way from our house (Between Bowmanville and Oshawa) to work in Peterborough on electric alone. Total cost for the commute (mostly electric but a tad on gas) was around $1.00 for a 65KM commute. A Prius would have been about $3 in gas, and her old 300 would have been about $7.80 in gas.

Yeah, still loving this car.

Quite a bit, actually, I saw people taking bids on their pre-orders to what looked like predominantly Chinese (investors?) in a bar in Palo Alto. Totally surreal to see that happen, but I guess that's what happens when exclusivity sells the product.

So, my experience with EV reaches BMW and Nissan, and a colleague I worked with had a Prius with 210k on the odometer with the original battery and a rear end collision to boot. So, if I had to choose I'd probably go with a Leaf, the things are a joke to drive tas they feel the gauge console was designed by play-school, but they're nearly half the price off sticker with all the incentives in the US.

Its unbelievable how Nissan are making any money on them. Whereas the i3 is a joke, its supposedly carbon fiber but those panels flex just looking at them, and the RWD platform sounds cool until you see how soon you're eating through tires faster than a hoon with a daddy's M5! And like everything on a BMW, they're not cheap. There is a reason most tech/mechanics own Toyotas and Hondas.

The Volt/Spark will always be emblematic of Detroit's swan song to me. Government Motors can't even get that right with tons of subsidies from the State. So, much like the decaying urban sprawl in Detroit, I see them as the last gasp to retain relevance in an industry they no longer pretend to know or care about. Sad, in a way, but creative destruction is a much welcomed property of innovation.

Another contender not often mentioned is VW e-golf, it took them geting caught and paying a 20+ billion dollar fine, but EVs are the future (present?) and the big wigs are willing to do anything to keep Tesla from eating their lunch while people live stream themselves taking delivery of a model 3 in masse on social media. It will happen, eventually, and VW is still rolling out the dinosaur Atlas shows why they can stand to lose money and still be profitable.

Back
Top Bottom