Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 41 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

In regards to the Onstar...

I got my free Onstar hardware upgrade on Thursday. When I left the dealer I pressed the little Onstar button and spoke with a nice lady that set me up with all the Onstar mumbo-jumbo. I surprisingly got 5 months free Premium Ontsar service. It's kinda neat, though ALOT of the features I won't be using. such as the wireless hotspot and the 3Gb free data they gave me. Also, the car has it's own phone number. I get 30mins free talk time a month. Not that amazing however, it works in the states so when I cross the border I can call without using my cell and getting roaming charges.

I have the apps setup so I can do all the fancy stuff from my phone. I can send directions to the cars Nav system, and I can Lock/Unlock, and precondition the car from the app. All neato.

I'm having one issue where I can't setup the notification settings so it will text me with charging updates/alerts. I may have to call onstar to figure it out for me.

One neat thing the apps show is the vehicles mileage history. Of the 94+k kilometers the car has driven, less than 29k has been electric. Explains the previous owners sub par 4.9L/100kms fuel mileage and confirms my suspicion that the PO used the Volt for alot of long commutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post

Electric owners will rarely admit that once the novelty wears off of plugging in your car every night, it really is a royal pain in the arse.

Clearly those people did not look into what they were paying.
And just how lazy can someone be to not have 10 seconds a day to plug and unplug your car in your garage (not cold, rainy. snowing).
So 70 seconds a week, hell let's just say 30 seconds a day...that's a whopping 4.5 minutes a week (7 days).
How long does it take to gas up a 40 litre tank let's say from empty or from 1/4 tank to full...plus pay for it at the pump or go inside to pay for it...while you are either in the heat, cold, rain.

Do these ppl just open their front doors and toss the trash into the streets?

I guess Tesla isn't a fan of wireless charging. Maybe because it can't be made proprietary?

[video=youtube_share;uMM0lRfX6YI]https://youtu.be/uMM0lRfX6YI[/video]

We are looking for a volt as well just can't decide on new or used at 28 new I would like to find a 2014 for around 16

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

We are looking for a volt as well just can't decide on new or used at 28 new I would like to find a 2014 for around 16

thatd be a great price at 16. I've not seen many 2014 for that price....come on Civic....die already....

Neither have I but at 28 for a new one that is better in most ways I think I am going to go new

Looks like as of this moment I'm an owner. Best I could get them down on was a tad over 20k.

Congrats. I'm kind of surprised at the fact a few people in this thread have gone out and bought Volts since I started the thread - I have to ask...was the thread something that swayed you, or were you considering it before and it just happened regardless?

Obviously you liked it when you test drove it?

Car-proof shows some 4G update which is supposedly the onstar upgrade.
Am I getting OnStar? Seems pretty pricey if you already own a phone... I don't really understand what it offers that roadside assistance and a cell phone don't.

Yes, the update is done on it, that's a good thing.

As part of the purchase you are eligible for a 3 month trial of OnStar so you can see what it's all about. For me, the most interesting/useful part was the telemetrics and communications side of it moreso than the navigation and handsfree calling (which is stupid overpriced) side of it, but do some more reading on what it can do and enjoy the free trial.

In regards to the Onstar...

I got my free Onstar hardware upgrade on Thursday. When I left the dealer I pressed the little Onstar button and spoke with a nice lady that set me up with all the Onstar mumbo-jumbo.

Thx for sharing - at long last our Volt goes in this Thursday for the Onstar hardware upgrade, as well as finally getting the rear brake issues attended to. I look forward to being able to finally checkout the telemetrics and see all those stats you posted in your image - right now I have zero idea it's history in regards to EV vs ICE miles.

And just how lazy can someone be to not have 10 seconds a day to plug and unplug your car in your garage (not cold, rainy. snowing).
So 70 seconds a week, hell let's just say 30 seconds a day...that's a whopping 4.5 minutes a week (7 days).
How long does it take to gas up a 40 litre tank let's say from empty or from 1/4 tank to full...plus pay for it at the pump or go inside to pay for it...while you are either in the heat, cold, rain.

Since I was so incredulous at the suggestion that plugging in was "such a pain" I've actually timed it in my head a few times - literally, from the time I remove the cord from the docking station I installed on the front of the house to the time the car is plugged in is 2 seconds flat. Unplugging is again 2 seconds. So, even if you charge twice a day you're talking less than 1 minute, and for most people charging once a day you're talking less than 30 seconds a week.

The continuous suggestion from Sunny that it's "such a pain" is just laughable.

Another one? :p

Let us know how it goes. I saw a new Volt today - I wasn't totally in love with the new body style initially but it's growing on me. At $28K I'm guessing it's a fairly base model, however? Make sure you get the heated seats at the very least, it's a big deal from an energy saving standpoint.

Congrats. I'm kind of surprised at the fact a few people in this thread have gone out and bought Volts since I started the thread - I have to ask...was the thread something that swayed you, or were you considering it before and it just happened regardless?

I'm strongly thinking about it because of this thread. My driving situation has changed from mostly long trips to mostly short trips, the Volt makes more sense than the current TDI. I'm keeping the TDI for a bit as it is a mythical non-depreciating vehicle at this point. Hopefully by the time I need one, they have a minivan version (I know, outlook not so good).

Before this thread, in my head the volt was just another hybrid turd that does everything poorly and makes you want to crash into every bridge and pole you see to end your sad life.

You are not alone .... many people don't give it the look it deserves. Many purists ignore it, because it still has ICE, blablabla .... It's great car for many many drivers who fit into that platform, form factor. I gave it a serious look a couple of years ago when my TDI started take not so little money out of my wallet after warranty. I didn't fit the form factor of Volt, not because of the power train, but rather it's size/room/towing .... so I decided that I will need to buy something else to bridge next 5-6 years. The second car, will undoubtedly be BEV, since it's local/city car only. Still have 2 years or so go. But it needs to be small fitting into my bursting-in-the-seems-garage ... Bolt, would do, but ideally, I would love something less utilitarian looking and more fun (no autonomous gizmos required pls), without having to pay Tesla model 3 kind of money ... LOL ... I basically just made it very difficult for myself, didn't I?

Neither have I but at 28 for a new one that is better in most ways I think I am going to go new

I was thinking of going this route too but 3 dealers I've talked to said so far they've never seen a base model before... One says he sells more Corvettes than Volts. They are still a bit of an oddity to the dealers. So buying used you get a fully loaded car nearly every time. I figured I'll try that out for once since I'm finally making enough money now to afford the doo-dads, at least if I buy used. I thought of stamping my feet and ordering a brand new absolute bare bones model but then the near 20% depreciation just from driving off the lot would put me down to what I just paid for a loaded 2014 with pretty low kms. Near as I can tell what I just bought for $20k was at least $35k new after rebate.

Which makes me think of another thing. There currently are 2 models of the new Volt, the LT and the Premier I think? Is this new to 2017? I don't see used Volts described as either LT or Premier.

I bought one just because of you. I had no idea about Volts at all. I would have guessed they were sub-par to the Prius if you asked me. Was thinking of waiting for the Model 3 and see how that goes for a few years. I'm putting a lot of kms down and my circumstances give me a lot of free charging. If the Japanese or Koreans ever come out with something that is competitive and not fuggly I will jump ship fast. I'm swallowing a lot of pride getting in to a GM. Sorry Sunny S but Honda's haven't been cool since the 90s. They lost the script long time ago.

I bought one just because of you. I had no idea about Volts at all. I would have guessed they were sub-par to the Prius if you asked me. Was thinking of waiting for the Model 3 and see how that goes for a few years. I'm putting a lot of kms down and my circumstances give me a lot of free charging. If the Japanese or Koreans ever come out with something that is competitive and not fuggly I will jump ship fast. I'm swallowing a lot of pride getting in to a GM. Sorry Sunny S but Honda's haven't been cool since the 90s. They lost the script long time ago.
There are tons of base models out there they are now called an LT and are pretty much loaded.

Congrats.
f6811d045d07a9d7e7a27b2dc1987e18_-excellent-and-now-we-wait-now-we-wait-memes_400-400.jpeg

I was thinking of going this route too but 3 dealers I've talked to said so far they've never seen a base model before... One says he sells more Corvettes than Volts. They are still a bit of an oddity to the dealers. So buying used you get a fully loaded car nearly every time. I figured I'll try that out for once since I'm finally making enough money now to afford the doo-dads, at least if I buy used. I thought of stamping my feet and ordering a brand new absolute bare bones model but then the near 20% depreciation just from driving off the lot would put me down to what I just paid for a loaded 2014 with pretty low kms. Near as I can tell what I just bought for $20k was at least $35k new after rebate.

Which makes me think of another thing. There currently are 2 models of the new Volt, the LT and the Premier I think? Is this new to 2017? I don't see used Volts described as either LT or Premier.
I have been quoted 32 after tax for a Lt with leather by multiple dealers. Leather is a 1200 option.

I have been quoted 32 after tax for a Lt with leather by multiple dealers. Leather is a 1200 option.

What about the rebates?
Price of car after rebates?
Do you want leather?...heat and cold considering if you are trying to save electricity to drive the car.

Remember go get Cosco membership if you get a Ford.

What about the rebates?
Do you want leather?...heat and cold considering if you are trying to save electricity to drive the car.

I think that price is with the rebates.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

How about trying dealers out of town...smaller market for them with a Volt so they might want to ditch the "brick".
For fun, try another province...never know.

What about the rebates?

That is after tax with the rebates

Back
Top Bottom