Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 36 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Whoops, didn't remember the number correctly, it's closer to 120km each way, most of it highway 401. looking at going to school in the fall and campus parking indicated that spots for electric vehicles are available but they didn't provide info if it's first come first serve or the whether it's 120v or 240v

Yeah, definately wouldn't do the Bolt then - no problem in the summer, but in the winter you do have a potential issue IF you can't/don't get a charger at school...which if it's a public charger system, is hardly guaranteed.

A second generation Volt would be where I'd look, or potentially even just a plain hybrid for that matter.

If you are looking purely for maximum savings on investment, the decision would really depend on the charging station availability at work for me. If you are interested in a bigger-picture vehicle where the initial higher cost isn't a big deal (and lets not forget the fact weekend running around will be zero fuel), then a PHEV like the Volt or whatnot still makes a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:
So it looks like in this case, the fuel savings from the prior Chrysler 300 fully cover the monthly payments on the Volt.

Told ya so :)

Oh, I knew that the savings would be significant for sure - easily exceeding the monthly payment. I think for anyone driving a >10L/100KM vehicle over 125-or-so KM per day the math is very favourable towards a PHEV. If you're driving a *really* high consumption vehicle (IE, a pickup or something) and have charging access at work the numbers just get more and more favourable, hands down.

I'll have to go back through some of my earlier posts in this thread where I did calculate how much I thought we'd be saving and see how close I was.

So it looks like in this case, the fuel savings from the prior Chrysler 300 fully cover the monthly payments on the Volt.

Told ya so :)

still hate you guys :)

@PP, update your first post with some of the info you posted above.
Shorten...1 month and x KM's = $ for electric

Oh, I knew that the savings would be significant for sure - easily exceeding the monthly payment. I think for anyone driving a >10L/100KM vehicle over 125-or-so KM per day the math is very favourable towards a PHEV. If you're driving a *really* high consumption vehicle (IE, a pickup or something) and have charging access at work the numbers just get more and more favourable, hands down.

No-brainer really from mileage standpoint only ... I will just add, assuming you don't need towing or space capacity. Because if you do, the savings are somewhat meaningless ...

If its just mileage per $$ you are interested in, the Bolt could work.

But really, who would want to be seen in that thing? the most boring uninspiring design ever. I'd tint the glass dark black so people wouldn't see me driving it.

At least a Tesla 3 and the Hyundai hybrid Ioniq you wouldn't mind being seen in....

But really, who would want to be seen in that thing? the most boring uninspiring design ever. I'd tint the glass dark black so people wouldn't see me driving it.

I guess I would since I ordered one.

I guess I would since I ordered one.
Well you are a Lunatic ?

And @PrivatePilot last time I checked there were 31 days in March ? (I think you meant April ☺)

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If its just mileage per $$ you are interested in, the Bolt could work.

At least a Tesla 3 and the Hyundai hybrid Ioniq you wouldn't mind being seen in....
This is what you'd want to be seen in?

2016-honda-clarity-fuel-cell-NCI-2.jpg

I saw a black Bolt, followed shortly thereafter by a BMW i3, in King City today.

I saw a black Bolt, followed shortly thereafter by a BMW i3, in King City today.

I saw a Prius today on the 401. Not normally a big deal, except it caught my eye because the guy was driving at what I'd estimate was around 140, weaving through traffic, on the brakes, on the gas, on the brakes...etc.

In the driving rain, with no lights on...but that's another story.

Why buy a super fuel efficient vehicle...and drive in in the least fuel efficient method possible? From what I can find online the Prius is in the 7-9L/100KM range at 140KPH/90MPH.

Why does anyone drive in the least efficient manner at 140km? a person driving 140 in a Prius is saving money vs whatever he/she used to be driving at 140.

I saw a Prius today on the 401. Not normally a big deal, except it caught my eye because the guy was driving at what I'd estimate was around 140, weaving through traffic, on the brakes, on the gas, on the brakes...etc.

Why buy a super fuel efficient vehicle...and drive in in the least fuel efficient method possible? From what I can find online the Prius is in the 7-9L/100KM range at 140KPH/90MPH.

Eco nut

Talked to my buddy about his thoughts after 1 month of ownership.

Guy says he loves it. Finds it quiet, responsive, and uses 10% of the gas he used to burn in the GTI on his commute. About 30km each way and he has a charger at work for half a day as he shares it with another Volt. One guy charges in the AM one in the PM...

Talked to my buddy about his thoughts after 1 month of ownership.

Guy says he loves it. Finds it quiet, responsive, and uses 10% of the gas he used to burn in the GTI on his commute. About 30km each way and he has a charger at work for half a day as he shares it with another Volt. One guy charges in the AM one in the PM...
New issue: what happens when a 3rd or 4th guy/ gal gets a EV? More chargers? Share? What if one EV is coming from further away? Does it get priority?

My immediate thought was that he didn't want to be pigeonholed as a bore but then I thought, no, that can't be it because boring is a badge of honour among the Prius clientele. So reverting back to the mental rolodex of why somebody would drive faster rather than slower the one that stood out sharply was the old saw involving speed in relation to time and distance. The guy probably needed to be somewhere so urgently as to have no other option but to throw off the chains of conformity. I think I'll entrench myself into this pov until it morphs into fact at which point no further analysis will be needed.

New issue: what happens when a 3rd or 4th guy/ gal gets a EV? More chargers? Share? What if one EV is coming from further away? Does it get priority?

For now, EV ppl seem to be sensible. Workplaces will have to accommodate because they set the precedent by installing the 1st charging station.

Same reason someone drives a Ferrari on the DVP on a snowy day...because it's their car and they can.
stupid is as stupid does:D

Same reason someone drives a Ferrari on the DVP on a snowy day...because it's their car and they can.
stupid is as stupid does:D

Or maybe he's doing a winter tire test for winter tire thread. Consider all possibilities, don't jump to conclusionoids.

Back
Top Bottom