Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 29 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

dropping in to say I hate you guys
damn free "gas"
this has been a great thread!

LOL, glad it's still interesting. I was looking back on it a few days ago and had to laugh a little - it started out as a "Hey, we're thinking about buying an EV a year or so from now" to "Hey, we're saving a crapton of gas in the new EV!" only a few weeks later. ;)

Yeah I have read the same.

Also doing some research I'm noticing the Low Rolling Resistance tires can be anywhere from 4-8 lbs lighter. Pretty substantial.

Yes, sheer weight difference is a big thing, but the tread pattern is different as well when you look it them - bigger grooves and often higher running pressures, etc.

Haha... Never gets old, does it? I'm looking forward to our first month average L/100KM tally come our official 1 month of ownership date on May 4'th.

Haha... Never gets old, does it? I'm looking forward to our first month average L/100KM tally come our official 1 month of ownership date on May 4'th.

Yeah the fuel economy is really quite astounding.

I wish I could reset the lifetime fuel economy setting as it shows 5L/100kms from the previous owner. Apparently it is Dealer only reset-able. I'll have to request it when I go in for the Onstar hardware fix.

I wish I could reset the lifetime fuel economy setting as it shows 5L/100kms from the previous owner. Apparently it is Dealer only reset-able. I'll have to request it when I go in for the Onstar hardware fix.

If you have an Android (or have a friend who does) you can reset it yourself using a cheap (Amazon or eBay) Bluetooth OBD2 adapter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/volt/comments/60or76/resetting_lifetime_mpg_on_used_volt/

The OBD2 adapter is worth it's weight in gold for DIY diagnostics as well after the fact. I have one for my iPhone (which needs the WiFi version of the adapter vs bluetooth, long story) and it's always handy for when that dreaded check engine light comes on. I've diagnosed a lot of friends vehicles as well and helped them fix small things themselves vs spending hundreds at a shop.

Many thanks to PP and others in this thread who have provided great info.

I put a deposit on a new Bolt over the weekend, delivery of a 2018 model sometime around Sept/Oct.

Do they make an appropriate snow tire equivalent to the Eco tires?

I put a deposit on a new Bolt over the weekend, delivery of a 2018 model sometime around Sept/Oct.

Awesome. A Bolt may very well be in our future as well once they reach the used market in 2-4 years. Definitely come back to this thread once you take delivery and let us know your experiences.

As for snow tires I don't think there's any eco versions, but could be wrong - will look this evening. Everybody with an EV kind of dreads the switchover as it does hit the mileage significantly (same for any car however, EV's are no different), but it is what it is - the very nature of snow tires (soft rubber and grippy tread) lends themselves to safety vs efficiency.

I will definitely post up once I take delivery. Since it's replacing my '06 CTS-V (wife's daily driver for 80km commute) and I will be using it for my 140km daily commute instead of our '15 Colorado we'll be seeing a dramatic difference in costs. I'm expecting the savings in gas to almost cover the payments on the Bolt.

General rule of thumb, never buy a first year car/bike.

The Volt seems to have proven history.

I will definitely post up once I take delivery. Since it's replacing my '06 CTS-V (wife's daily driver for 80km commute) and I will be using it for my 140km daily commute instead of our '15 Colorado we'll be seeing a dramatic difference in costs. I'm expecting the savings in gas to almost cover the payments on the Bolt.

in reality it seems you would have no gas to pay for, lol
what's the cost again to go 60km on electricity...right, free if she is at work or $1 at home?:happy6:

I still "hate you guys".:D

General rule of thumb, never buy a first year car/bike.

The Volt seems to have proven history.

Note the "2018 Model" in my statement.

How do you find the low rolling resistance tires? Is the braking distance longer? Is it too easy to spin the tires off the line (I'm thinking with the high initial torque of the electric engine)? Is there a trade-off with safety when having to perform an emergency maneuver? I don't have any experience with these types of tires and I'm genuinely curious.

Cheers,

Wes

Can't say I notice anything particularly "different" about their performance actually. Some people say they are noisier vs regular tires but the Volt still seems super quiet to me and I haven't driven it with regular tires to compare honestly. .

You can certainly spin the tires easy off the line in the Volt if you want, no problem. Not sure if that's a tire thing, or just the reality that EV's have gobs of torque available right from a standstill. Probably some of both, but I'm confident it would easily squawk even regular tires - the power is there.

Would it benefit from "stickier" tires? Sure I guess if you were driving it in a sporty fashion constantly, but since that's not really the target operating scenario the LRR tires seem to be the ideal compromise.

Thank you for your insights. I'm seriously contemplating an EV in the next couple of years. I do enjoy spirited driving. Not all the time, I'm a pick your spots kind of person. I usually put sportier tires on my vehicles, so your mention of the EV only difference in mileage between regular and low rolling tires got me to thinking about how that might affect my enjoyment of the car.

I don't really think that any sort of occasional spirited driving Like something like a Volt/Bolt can provide is really going to ever push the limits of LRR tires, unless you're talking about tracking/dragging or something, or you buy a Tesla and run in Ludicrous mode frequently. ;)

As for the routine sporty driving, on something like the Volt with a finite electric range, although it's fine it does carry a range penalty obviously – don't get me wrong I throw ours into sport mode every now and then snd launch away from a green light just for ***** and giggles....but driving an EV really does change your driving habits/outlook when suddenly the spirited driving gives way to "Let's see how far I can go on battery today".

Slowbird mentioned that he enjoyed driving in sport mode most of the time but is still posting excellent electric range figures so he may be a good person to talk to about that.

Thank you for your insights. I'm seriously contemplating an EV in the next couple of years. I do enjoy spirited driving. Not all the time, I'm a pick your spots kind of person. I usually put sportier tires on my vehicles, so your mention of the EV only difference in mileage between regular and low rolling tires got me to thinking about how that might affect my enjoyment of the car.
Toyota installed the same LRR tires from the Prius on the FRS out of the factory, so they can't be that bad for sporty driving.

My thoughts are that the stiffer tire gives as good feedback as a sport tire, but the less grippy compound gives better sensation of the car's limits without having to drive like a hooligan. Or not as much of a hooligan, anyways. In the extreme, driving on hockey puck tires would probably be a blast, kind of like driving on ice (I know I love it) but that's obviously extremely unsafe on a day-to-day basis.

Thank you for your insights. I'm seriously contemplating an EV in the next couple of years.

Do yourself a favour, wait a few more months for the Tesla model 3 to show up and see if it turns out as great as it is appearing to be. The GM's will look like a bad joke parked next to it.

should contain plenty of "sport" 0-60 in under 6 seconds, along with jaw dropping style. qualifies for all the same govt incentives as the GMs

you can reserve one right now for $1000

Tesla Model 3

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/model3

Last edited:
Wait, What?

- Touting Tesla now instead of Honda?

- Suggesting a brand new, fresh off the drawing board, unproven vehicle...because....solidly proven vehicle by GM=bad, Completely unproven Tesla=awesomesauce?

-Suggesting a vehicle without a range extender despite all your earlier freakouts about range anxiety?

Interesting turn of events.

Last edited:
Wait, What?

- Touting Tesla now instead of Honda?

- Suggesting a brand new, fresh off the drawing board, unproven vehicle...because....solidly proven vehicle by GM=bad, Completely unproven Tesla=awesomesauce?

-Suggesting a vehicle without a rang extender despite all your earlier freakouts about range anxiety?

Interesting turn of events.

in post 2, I was aware of the Bolt and said it "looked promising".

The Tesla 3 will be a far better choice for many reasons.

And hey, its a Tesla.... GM can only dream of making something as amazing as the Model S and X

Tesla Model 3 unveiling.....Watch it and weep.....

https://vimeo.com/161138986

Last edited:
The Tesla 3 will be a far better choice for many reasons

And those are?

And hey....range anxiety!

jpg

Back
Top Bottom