Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 164 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

200 AMP service would charge a supercapicitor VOLT in 3.9 minutes - realistically 1/2 the service would be practical as it would unlikely interfere with the home -- about 8 minutes.

Challenge is to get the cost of capacitors down -- they are currently about 5x the cost of batteries and batteries are still too expensive.

People are worried about battery fires. Watching a supercap dump 20+ kWh through an arc in seconds would be very entertaining from a distance.

Is your math correct? By my logic, realistically 240V and 100 amps should be attainable from most dwellings. That's 24 kW. For an 18.4 kWh Chevy Volt, that is at least 46 minutes. For an empty Model S 100, a charge is a bit over four hours. Obviously actual charge rates will be slower due to inefficiencies and heat limitations. For reference, the Tesla supercharger can run up to 120kW per car.

People are worried about battery fires. Watching a supercap dump 20+ kWh through an arc in seconds would be very entertaining from a distance.

^-----This.

Fire rescue already cringes coming upon a Tesla accident. No one's going to want to go anywhere near a pronged car with a super cap.

Is your math correct? By my logic, realistically 240V and 100 amps should be attainable from most dwellings. That's 24 kW. For an 18.4 kWh Chevy Volt, that is at least 46 minutes. For an empty Model S 100, a charge is a bit over four hours. Obviously actual charge rates will be slower due to inefficiencies and heat limitations. For reference, the Tesla supercharger can run up to 120kW per car.
You are correct, my math is wrong.

Another player in the truck market.

Atlis

46785200061_72a6a9d578_b.jpg

Atlis has a really neat subscription based system that includes charging costs.

Their pricing info is a little vague but I like the truck. The front tailgate is a cool feature.

Might be a viable replacement for my Volt someday.

^ And that is TOTALLY the rendered product of somebody's vivid imagination. "Vaporware".

Ford has an all-electric F150 in the works. The next generation of that vehicle is due for model year 2021. If the electric version is available at launch, it would beat the upstarts.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...ZPnJmUdBYw2VZNigCwO3MfANAJ29mYNteFR40st1DnHXk

Be interesting to see how they do that. Getting rid of the drive shaft and exhaust system and fuel tank that go up the middle of the frame of a truck opens up a bunch of space that could be used for batteries, and there's more space to be found by getting rid of the engine and transmission and transfer case.

My guess is that they will use separate front and rear drive units with the independent rear suspension module from the Expedition so that the motor can be in a fixed location in the chassis without having to allocate space for a drive shaft to bounce around up the middle.

The way you get people to buy electric cars isn't by telling them they should or by taxing them if they don't. It's by making electric cars that are "better".

The way you get people to buy electric cars isn't by telling them they should or by taxing them if they don't. It's by making electric cars that are "better".

Agreed. Mandating anything for whatever reason only breeds resentment.

It's a long uphill battle to accomplish that in North America, however - especially with the mentalities we have here that make people honestly believe that they need a 1-Ton diesel dually to pull a box trailer with 500 pounds in it, or all the other fallacies about EV's that we've seen come out many times here in this very thread....

- That they don't work in the winter.
- You'll inevitably be stranded on the side of the road dead somewhere the first time you dare venture more than 20 minutes from your house
- Plugging in and charging every night is a "pain".
- That you'll need to replace the battery every few years.

The pickup truck crowd is going to be the biggest hold out as the "roll coal, yeehaw, electric cars are for liberal tree huggers, screw you, eat my dust!" crowd are going to take forever to come around. Until a pickup actually hits the market and starts destroying records and these misconceptions people aren't going to even think about changing their minds, much less consider actually embracing things.

This is why I keep saying that the manufacturers really need to start focusing on the cost of ownership factors first, with performance benefits second - If GM (for example) put out an electric pickup truck tomorrow and said "It will go 300KM a day, every day, and every 100KM you drive will only cost you $2 in electricity instead of $15 in gas", it will attract attention. If there's one that that pisses people off it's the price of gas and how much filling their tank costs them - naturally the larger vehicle segment is a natural for seeing very significant savings that will dwarf the "Buy an econobox ICE vehicle vs an expensive EV" ROI argument.

This. Totally this.

It has very little to do with all the reasons the EV/alternate fuel vehicle apologists make. To the average car owner, I'm one, convenience reigns supreme. Gas cars are simple. Drive a long time, when near empty fill up in a few minutes pretty much anywhere. Why would I ever want to become an early adopter of an EV or alternate fuel vehicle? I'll wait until one of the alternative energies provides the same convenience and then think about buying. Don't care whether it is electric/hydrogen or some yet undiscovered technology. I just require simplicity... :)

Dave, I backed away from this thread to watch all the hilarious responses. Lots of info being regurgitated.

Let the EV backers have their say, in the end, the market SPOKE. with the exception of Tesla, electrics and plug ins aren't ready for prime time. Ask GM, they cancelled the Volt.

Go with me on this one, Electric cars like the Volt are a waste, stick with a good Hybrid, and you will be well served with convenience and economy in the future.

Once they figure out how to charge a car up as quickly as you would a gasoline engine, then things will start to progress. The way it is now it is a regression and not as versatile compared to what we are use to. Even if off the bat they don't have the ideal range but can still charge, or swap batteries, cells/whatever in 5 mins then it should grab people's interest. Otherwise these are expensive city cars.

in the end, the market SPOKE.

They did. In large numbers. Which is why after the spring, the only car Ford will be building is the Fusion.

Ask GM, they cancelled the Volt.

And as our resident goalpost shifter, you again leave out the facts that don't fit your droning.......er, narrative, like GM closing long-in-the-tooth car plants like Oshawa while planning to go on using the technology from the Volt in crossovers and small SUVs elsewhere. That pesky market speaking rearing it's ugly head again, and all.

Last edited:
Once they figure out how to charge a car up as quickly as you would a gasoline engine, then things will start to progress. The way it is now it is a regression and not as versatile compared to what we are use to. Even if off the bat they don't have the ideal range but can still charge, or swap batteries, cells/whatever in 5 mins then it should grab people's interest. Otherwise these are expensive city cars.

Would 15 minutes be sufficient??

Some OEMs are pouring billions into R&D. One of the common goals is to see an approx 80% charge in 15 mins.

Even with current technology most two car households could easily switch to one of them being EV or PHEV with no requirement to change their driving habits.

They did. In large numbers. Which is why after the spring, the only car Ford will be building is the Fusion.

And as our resident goalpost shifter, you again leave out the facts that don't fit your droning.......er, narrative, like GM closing long-in-the-tooth car plants like Oshawa while planning to go on using the technology from the Volt in crossovers and small SUVs elsewhere. That pesky market speaking rearing it's ugly head again, and all.

Like I said earlier, PLEASE stop posting. its quite evident that you are CLUELESS

the volt technology is DEAD. see link below....."The first model will feature GM’s all-new battery electric vehicle architecture,"

The plants that they are closing are all building SLOW selling vehicles. Lousy GM's. including the Cruze and Volt.

The Bolt sales are lagging big time too.

They are pushing Caddilac as the leader electric brand. Im very sure Tesla execs are now worried.... LOL

Pull up a chair, this will be fun to watch the next great GM debacle.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/18178444/cadillac-general-motors-gm-electric-vehicle-ev

Last edited:
Even with current technology most two car households could easily switch to one of them being EV or PHEV with no requirement to change their driving habits.

I could get away with a current EV 99% of the time. The only times my round trip drives exceed 300km is to Baysville for the weekend (250km there Fri. , charge, 250km home Mon.)

Back
Top Bottom