Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 154 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Here we go again. Hydrogen is dead in the water except for specialized applications. Continuing development of batteries just seals that fate.

Here we go again. Hydrogen is dead in the water except for specialized applications.

Agreed. We are in the EV equivalent of the Betamax vs VHS war (or Blu-Ray vs HDDVD for the younger generation here who only know VCR's from the history books) right now, and it's clear which side is quickly running away with the show.

History has proven time and time again that the losing technology eventually fades away.

Even in the EV segment itself technology is still changing and winners are becoming the standard. This is why CHAdeMO is going to be relegated to history in 5-10 years with CCS quickly becoming the standard for high-rate charging. Even Kia, one of the CHAdeMO holdouts switched to the CCS standard on their 2019+ models.

All range anxiety fears will be alleviated when Hydrogen becomes more mainstream.

I would think that Range Anxiety is not even an issue for half the people that drive. My wife had a Leaf and doesn't drive any more than 10 or 15 miles.

Last edited:
We are in the EV equivalent of the Betamax vs VHS war

Betamax didn't die because of VHS. It died because of the cable companies.

Back in the 80's cable companies scrambled channels by suppressing the sync pulse by about 6db. Basically the TV did not know when to restart scanning the picture.

A feature of Betamax what that it actually didn't record, but recreated the sync pulse, so you could actually record a scrambled movie and play it back in the clear.

Zenith and GI added video inversion to their scrambling algorithms to get around it but it was too late for Beta.

I always found that to be an interesting little factoid. I did my Masters thesis on Encryption and Security and this was one of the use cases

The problem with electric motorcycles is that the current battery technology just isn’t there yet to provide any sort of realistic range for riders who go further than their nearest Tim Hortons to pose.

Hmm? Properly configured Zero DS can get almost 240km in the city.

Here we go again. Hydrogen is dead in the water except for specialized applications. Continuing development of batteries just seals that fate.

Brian's opinion, vs the Billions, (thats Billions with a B) of dollars many major automakers including Honda, toyota, BMW, GM, Hyundai and many more investing in Hydrogen future.

Hmmm, wonder who will win this one. No, it won't be here next week, but "it's coming"

Last edited:
Brian's opinion, vs the Billions, (thats Billions with a B) of dollars many major automakers including Honda, toyota, BMW, GM, Hyundai and many more investing in Hydrogen future.

Hmmm, wonder who will win this one. No, it won't be here next week, but "it's coming"

My money's on Brian.

Hydrogen always has been and always will be (while we are alive) a political game, not a reasonable or viable choice.

Hmm? Properly configured Zero DS can get almost 240km in the city.

But who rides 240KM in the city? The far more realistic highway numbers are not so rosy, and they assume one has spent all the extra coin on the larger battery etc.

IMHO Zero is doing themselves a disservice posting numbers like that. I have no doubt someone has bought one looking at those rose coloured glasses numbers thinking “oh yeah, I’m sure if it gets that many KM in the city I can get more than it’s highway rating easy!”, only to find out that they couldn’t even achieve the stated highway figure which in itself is likely optimistic, based on a super-eco riding style at 90KPH.

IMHO Zero is doing themselves a disservice posting numbers like that. I have no doubt someone has bought one looking at those rose coloured glasses numbers thinking “oh yeah, I’m sure if it gets that many KM in the city I can get more than it’s highway rating easy!”, only to find out that they couldn’t even achieve the stated highway figure which in itself is likely optimistic, based on a super-eco riding style at 90KPH.

To be fair, Zero does list estimated range for city, mixed, and highway riding (with their posted highway range being half the city range, based on going 70mph). But, does every prospective buyer take care to read the details and see this? Probably not.

EVs are the future!

No, wait.... hydrogen!

Errrr, hybrids!!

Clarity!

No, Tesla!

Accord hybrid!

Tesla!

Accord hybrid!

Tesla!

Clarity?!

Loud noises!

Tesla hybrid?

Wait....

ICEs are dead!

EVs are dead!

All hail HYDROGEN!!

But who rides 240KM in the city? The far more realistic highway numbers are not so rosy, and they assume one has spent all the extra coin on the larger battery etc.

Ask Anterabae(spelling?), she has one here on the forums and zings around all over the GTA for the photo game.

City could also translate to back roads as its really the wind resistance at higher speeds that begins to fatigue the battery.

I dont completely disagree with you, but I'm not so sure we can just dismiss current offerings as "no good for the average commuter who only goes to Tims". Its actually pretty decent.

However, if we move the conversation to price, 25k for that ummm.. performance? May be hard to swallow. :p

Brian's opinion

X870iok.png

Citation:

EVs are the future!

No, wait.... hydrogen!

Errrr, hybrids!!

Clarity!

No, Tesla!

Accord hybrid!

Tesla!

Accord hybrid!

Tesla!

Clarity?!

Loud noises!

Tesla hybrid?

Wait....

ICEs are dead!

EVs are dead!

All hail HYDROGEN!!

EVs are the future!

No, wait.... hydrogen!

Errrr, hybrids!!

Clarity!

No, Tesla!

Accord hybrid!

Tesla!

Accord hybrid!

Tesla!

Clarity?!

Loud noises!

Tesla hybrid?

Wait....

ICEs are dead!

EVs are dead!

All hail HYDROGEN!!
Gold.
At least I read it here first.

its actually pretty simple.

before many who are commenting even knew what an electric car was, I posted almost 2 years ago : -post #2 of this thread: "electric cars are here to stay" Tesla is the only one that knows how to do electrics today. Thats still true today, besides the "its coming" links that you guys are all posting up to today (yes, I too posted the Hyundai electric, and its a good effort, but it aint no tesla) . I still say Tesla does it right and BEST so far. but I agree, it could change soon.

-plug ins are crap. the Volt cancellation proves it. Nobody is buying it. If you must get a plug in hybrid, get a Clarity. Sooooooo much better than a Volt for a number of reasons.

-hybrids, not plug ins, will lead us into the electric car revolution see the Prius, and the Plethora of other Hybrids on the market, namely the Accord Hybrid, and the new Insight. Stellar examples of Hybrids done right.

-hydrogen, is increasingly emerging as a viable alternative to pure electric cars. I personally think its a better choice, the Billions of dollars automakers are pouring into this technology confirms my hunch.

It's all actually pretty simple, and my theme has continued throughout this thread consistently.

Sorry if you are confused and can't follow along and have to resort to childish pot shots and name calling.

When you are ready to continue with a big boy discussion, I'm all ears....

before many who are commenting even knew what an electric car was, I posted almost 2 years ago

You're so far out in left field the guy in centre field thought you died.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna leave this here.

[video=youtube;o46wEX3yEoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o46wEX3yEoo[/video]

I saw that yesterday. I didn’t know if I should laugh, or cry.

The stupid, it burns.

Back
Top Bottom