Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 153 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

It doesn't matter at the end of the day, using the current numbers just making a point that Volts and plugs ins dont make sense for many reasons.

I've been preaching Hybrids since Post #2 on this thread almost 2 years ago. Apparently, I have changed my tune.

Apparently you’re cherry picking your own posts.

**** off.

Hybrids do not get green plates unless you are lucky enough to have the ministry make a mistake. A couple of my guests got green plates by accident and no one is the wiser.

So I guess it all depends on what your individual priorities are. For me saving time by using the HOV lanes is more important than outright saving money on a multi-year break even point. The cumulative amount of time saved on my commute to work translates to an about $2k/yr in savings and more importantly - a smooth commute.

No one cares about your feelings.

bkuwPrC.png

Tesla who?

[video=youtube;5c2m5hhh5Kw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c2m5hhh5Kw[/video]

Interesting. Seems really nice on paper and the concept looks stunning. Can’t wait to see one on the road

500km range with the larger battery...and the super-fast charging is a bonus as well.

Who wants to bet that still won't shut up the "until it goes 1000KM on a charge, I'll never buy an EV!!!" crowd? Despite the fact that 99.9% of those people have never driven more than 200-300KM in a day, ever.

It's going to be a ceontender, that's for sure. If it's priced right, GM is going to see it cannibalize Bolt sales pretty dramatically.

It’s definitely the future Brian. In 10 years time I wonder what the ratio of EV’s to Gasoline powered cars sold will be, or if there will be gas powered cars in the show room at all.

I’m wondering what this change will mean to sport. Will we be looking at electric MotoGP bikes and we’ll be getting our gasoline fix from AHRMA and the VRRA? Formula E is already well established for 4 wheels.

Maybe VW and GM being proactive is not so dumb

That’s an interesting point.

There is Zero, but so far the big 4 bike companies have been realitivly quiet about plans for Electric models. BMW Have the C but it’s more of an urban scooter.

It will be interesting to see what happens on 2 wheels

The problem with electric motorcycles is that the current battery technology just isn’t there yet to provide any sort of realistic range for riders who go further than their nearest Tim Hortons to pose.

Size is the problem. Unless you want to haul around a sidecar full of LiIon batteries, the energy density to battery size (& weight) ratio is still just not favourable for MC’s.

When the battery energy density technology reaches the point where they can get a 750# comfortable cruiser/highway MC to go to 300–400km on a single charge then it will be suitable for 90% plus of the motorcycle segment who rarely exceed that in a day.

I hate to use the same old busted argument that the anti-EV crowd uses when it comes to cars, however I will readily admit that motorcycles are different so far as how, when, and where they are often operated.

Last edited:
The problem with electric motorcycles is that the current battery technology just isn’t there yet to provide any sort of realistic range for riders who go further than their nearest Tim Hortons to pose....
Hmmm, that might just be a big enough market. Make them easy to ride, gutless, and put a biga$$ amp and speaker to kick up the the electric motor whine to 100db.

It’s definitely the future Brian. In 10 years time I wonder what the ratio of EV’s to Gasoline powered cars sold will be, or if there will be gas powered cars in the show room at all.

I’m wondering what this change will mean to sport. Will we be looking at electric MotoGP bikes and we’ll be getting our gasoline fix from AHRMA and the VRRA? Formula E is already well established for 4 wheels.

Maybe VW and GM being proactive is not so dumb

10 years from now, you'll still be able to buy private vehicles with combustion engines. But, I am quite sure that 10 years from now, "range anxiety" will be mostly a thing of the past, unless you are going to extremely remote areas (Alaska, Yukon, and even at that, only if you are off the main highways). There will still probably be some applications that electric propulsion can't handle, but they'll be greatly diminished. The general consensus in the auto industry is that the "tipping point" will be sometime in the 2030s. Some countries have announced that they would like to end sales of combustion engine vehicles by 2030 ... personally, I don't think that's going to happen.

MotoGP will have MotoE as a demonstration class ... they recently finished their initial practice sessions for the 2019 season, in which it will be an official class.
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2018/12/06/the-fim-enel-motoe-world-cup-comes-to-motogp/280893
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/201...-feel-after-3-days-of-testing-in-jerez/280538
(might need Videopass in order to view that, not sure) The bikes are reported to be comparable to Moto2 in terms of performance. It's recognized that the fan experience needs work ...

please, dont kid yourself,...... despite the eventual shift to electrics (and hydrogen), oil will be around for a loooooong time.

All range anxiety fears will be alleviated when Hydrogen becomes more mainstream. You read it here first.

Back
Top Bottom