Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 152 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Maybe on the generation following the new one due to arrive, they will figure out AWD and hybrid tech for a corvette.

Are you as scatterbrained as your hero, Elon? I'll post this again. I'll try to type slower this time. The C8 is the last ICE Corvette. The C9 will be an EV.

MUSK don't give a crap about GM EV plans, he's more interested in taking over their shuttered factories like he did once before a few years ago.

We'll find out in a few hours, won't we

The "few hours" are up up. Your boy Elon was asked on 60 Minutes a few minutes ago on his views on GM's EV plans, and yes, he does give a crap. He is highly in favour of GM moving forward (along with the other manufacturers). "If someone builds a better EV and puts Tesla out of business, so be it. The world is a better place for it, and they built a damn good car." Mind you, I led you by the nose on this (I was aware of what he was going to say in the interview days ago). Funny thing is, I'm not a big fan of the man. I wake up in the morning, pour myself a coffee, and sit down to my RSS feed wondering if today is the day he's going to have tweeted about putting lasers on sharks. I do,however, respect his ability to see the big picture. Everyone in the EV game brings his cars (and ALL EV cars)from the novelty/niche market to the mainstream (unlike certain other's myopic views on all things car).

Anyhoo, carry on.

ogp.jpg

Last edited:
The thing that surprises me the most as of late in this ICE/hybrid/EV circl....., uh, debate, is that Ferrari (we will NEVER put an electric motor in a car) is running mules of a hybrid 458/488. I guess they saw Porsche's combined city/hwy EPA rating of 11L/100 km for the 918 and decided they were going to have to eat crow sooner rather than later.

[video=youtube;m_KJhrlqFeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=m_KJhrlqFeA[/video]

And on a scale of 1-10 how surprised are you really? Maybe a 4?

Can’t fight it. I can’t even say this is the future, this is the now! Ferrari is already lagging behind.

they built a damn good car.... that nobody is buying.... so I will consider buying their defunct factories... like I did a few years ago with the GM/toyota NUMMI plant...

cue the gov't bailout version2

Last edited:
they built a damn good car.... that nobody is buying.... so I will consider buying their defunct factories... like I did a few years ago with the GM/toyota NUMMI plant...

cue the gov't bailout version2

Except your complaint is often about GM's "engineering," which your fav. a hole (he is an a hole, genius, but proper *******) applauds.

Except your complaint is often about GM's "engineering," which your fav. a hole (he is an a hole, genius, but proper *******) applauds.

Lets start with their small car efforts, GM has been historically a disaster when it comes to small cars, from the Chevette, to the Citation, to the J bodies (cavalier) and the pathetic Cruze, which again, no one is buying. who's brilliant idea was it to put a Diesel in a cruze anyway, when the other world class automakers are increasingly shunning them for obvious reasons? This is the mark of desperation on GMs part.

The Asians have shown that there is indeed a market for small cars, like the Fit, Civic, Elantra, Corolla, mazda 3 that people actually want, where is GM's brilliant engineering effort on a world class small car? the Cruze? please, its so great they are cancelling them because nobody is buying them. Im sure the engineering that went into the Cruze is superb.

Lets start with their small car efforts, GM has been historically a disaster when it comes to small cars, from the Chevette, to the Citation, to the J bodies (cavalier) and the pathetic Cruze, which again, no one is buying. who's brilliant idea was it to put a Diesel in a cruze anyway, when the other world class automakers are increasingly shunning them for obvious reasons? This is the mark of desperation on GMs part.

The Asians have shown that there is indeed a market for small cars, like the Fit, Civic, Elantra, Corolla, mazda 3 that people actually want, where is GM's brilliant engineering effort on a world class small car? the Cruze? please, its so great they are cancelling them because nobody is buying them. Im sure the engineering that went into the Cruze is superb.

I'm not interested in debating GM's engineering prowess as it relates to ICE vehicles. That's for the "Any GTAMers own an ICE vehicle" thread.

I'm not interested in debating GM's engineering prowess as it relates to ICE vehicles. That's for the "Any GTAMers own an ICE vehicle" thread.

l post to watch him move the goal posts. Nothing he says is pertinent in any way.

l post to watch him move the goal posts. Nothing he says is pertinent in any way.

Ah yes, all this GM electrification greatness that no other major automaker has any R&D plans for.

I'm certain the Bolt will save them.

Does anybody even know the Bolt still exists?

In on-topic non-troll news, my wife started an excellent new job today, a very big step up from where she was.

And they have chargers. :)

And it’s within the range of the Volt.

Yay!

In on-topic non-troll news, my wife started an excellent new job today, a very big step up from where she was.

And they have chargers. :)

And it’s within the range of the Volt.

Yay!
That's exciting! Maybe now you can step up to a bumper-less Tesla! Just kidding of course.
I for one hope that they do continue the Volt technology. At the moment it's the only plug in I think I'd consider as I have "range anxiety" when it comes to pure ev.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

That's exciting! Maybe now you can step up to a bumper-less Tesla! Just kidding of course.
I for one hope that they do continue the Volt technology. At the moment it's the only plug in I think I'd consider as I have "range anxiety" when it comes to pure ev.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

There’s a few other PHEVs I’d consider as well but the Volt is a lot more mature and battery management is very well proven.

It’ll take a few years before we can see if Hyundai, Honda, Mitsubishi and the others have done as good a job.

Some (well, only one) people in this discussion say there’s no demand for PHEVs but since I bought mine I have probably only used 10-15L of fuel during the week. In 7 months I’ve used 230L of fuel and about half of that was for work and I’m being reimbursed at $0.40/km. I haven’t had to change my driving habits at all and I’m saving about $10/day compared to my old truck.

Here is how I see it,

base Volt $39,000
base Honda Insight Hybrid $27,990

I can buy $11,010 of extra gas to equal what I would have paid for a Volt outright

Insight has a 40 liter gas tank, fill once per week (average for most ppl) . Lets factor in an average of $1.20 per liter (its currently at 96 cents around here). $11,010 divided by $1.20 = 9175 liters of gas divided by 40 liters a fill divided by 52 weeks in a year, equals It will take me 4.4 years, at average gas prices to BREAK EVEN if I bought a Volt.

the above doesn't include the Hydro cost for the Volt, the cost of the Gas I still need to buy for the Volt, the cost to install a charger at my house for the Volt. So the real payback is more than 5 years?

and the best part? which I can't put a price tag on. the silly plugging in my car every night, or hunting/fighting for a car charger spot at the mall or at work! LOLOLOL.

Many trade in cars every 3 to 5 years. And don't even get me started on the overall quality, engineering quality, reliability and stellar resale value of the Honda over the Volt.

The smart money is on a Hybrid. Plugs Ins are useless for many. the market has spoken. No wonder the Volt is dead.

Last edited:
By that logic a Clarity is also a stupid purchase?

Is this a case of multiple personality disorder? Or maybe like one of those FB accounts shared by spouses.... but in this case with wildly inconsistent opinions.

Hard to keep up with the ever changing arguments.

Can I post the goal post pic again?

But seriously, Sunny, you contribute nothing but verbal diarrhoea to this discussion. No one gives a **** what you think on this topic. No one values your opinion so free to leave and never come back....

Here is how I see it,

base Volt $39,000

I can buy $11,010 of extra gas to equal what I would have paid for a Volt outright

Insight has a 40 liter gas tank, fill once per week (average for most ppl) . Lets factor in an average of $1.20 per liter (its currently at 96 cents around here). $11,010 divided by $1.20 = 9175 liters of gas divided by 40 liters a fill divided by 52 weeks in a year, equals It will take me 4.4 years, at average gas prices to BREAK EVEN if I bought a Volt.

the above doesn't include the Hydro cost for the Volt, the cost of the Gas I still need to buy for the Volt, the cost to install a charger at my house for the Volt. So the real payback is more than 5 years?

and the best part? which I can't put a price tag on. the silly plugging in my car every night, or hunting/fighting for a car charger spot at the mall or at work! LOLOLOL.

Many trade in cars every 3 to 5 years. And don't even get me started on the overall quality, engineering quality, reliability and stellar resale value of the Honda over the Volt.

The smart money is on a Hybrid. Plugs Ins are useless for many. the market has spoken. No wonder the Volt is dead.

You know what sold me on this argument? The bolding and the laugh out loud out loud out loud point. Touche.

Here is how I see it,

base Volt $39,000

The funny part is you undersold the difference. 40 litres on an insight will take you 900+Kms. You estimate a tank a week. That is way above average of 20k per year. You have to double your numbers...it is more like 8-9 years before you break even plus the cost of the Electricity and gas on the Volt.

The funny part is you undersold the difference. 40 litres on an insight will take you 900+Kms. You estimate a tank a week. That is way above average of 20k per year. You have to double your numbers...it is more like 8-9 years before you break even plus the cost of the Electricity and gas on the Volt.

It doesn't matter at the end of the day, using the current numbers just making a point that Volts and plugs ins dont make sense for many reasons.

I've been preaching Hybrids since Post #2 on this thread almost 2 years ago. Apparently, I have changed my tune.

Back
Top Bottom