Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 139 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Why couldn't they make the Clarity look normal?--because they were coming out with this fella:
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-honda-insight-is-the-most-normal-hybrid-1826952712

Clarity is "purpose built", mainly do cheat the wind. It has the lowest drag coefficient of any production honda sedan ever produced. it also features the worlds first functioning rear air curtains in a production sedan, I hear.

Studies show that people who buy cars like the Clarity (and the Prius) with their less conventional looks, prefer these as it displays to the world their eco conscious tree hugging mantra and screaming as mentioned above "eco transport".

for every one else, they have the normal looking Insight Hybrid, and even better of all the Honda Hybrids IMHO, Id choose the 50mpg Accord Hybrid for its extra power and space.

So I've been caught charging my car at work.

When I first got my Volt I went through the chain of command and asked them where I could plug in. (I work in a Police Station) It came back that it is against policy to allow electric vehicles to plug into the building and I was not allowed.

So on nightshifts, after 7pm when everyone else has gone home, I would plug into an outlet away from the building where the Vacuums, and Windshield washer fluid pumps had spare outlets. I always charged at 8A and never bothered a soul. I wasn't plugging into the "building" and no one seemed to care.

So now suddenly over a year later someone has noticed and complained. Coincidentally enough, just as a girl in another department got delivery of her Model 3.

The police ran my plates, emailed my Chief and they told me to really stop this time. No charging on the property period.

If this was a private company I would shrug and go "Ok." But this is a Region of Peel building. I work for the city. Brampton City Hall has chargers. The Region of Peel building a few KM's away has chargers. Isn't the region and the city trying to be all green?

...and it's not just me and the Tesla chick either. There are a bunch of electric car people who work here that are being denied.

Last edited:
It will come in time. Larger regional organizations take longer to fully roll out these types of employee programs across the board at all locations. I'm waiting for the same thing and agree that certain places of employment should set the benchmark. I think if I were to do as you did, the blowback would be pretty significant, so I'm not willing to risk it.

Maybe you could approach the other Peel buildings and find out the process to get them installed at your work location.

Last edited:
What about engine block heaters?
We have 120volt receptacles at the base of our parking lot light poles. Those are used for heaters during the winter. Will the "no plug in" spill over to other applications like this?

What about engine block heaters?
We have 120volt receptacles at the base of our parking lot light poles. Those are used for heaters during the winter. Will the "no plug in" spill over to other applications like this?

Work vehicles plug in all the time. I don’t think employee personal vehicles are allowed to plug in their block heaters.

72cb0526d613c36b37f0f2a65894f4a0.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you could approach the other Peel buildings and find out the process to get them installed at your work location.

That's a good idea however my superiors are asking me not to get to loud about this.

and even better of all the Honda Hybrids (Clarity) IMHO, Id choose the 50mpg Accord Hybrid for its extra power and space.

Car and Driver conducts a proper test of the Clarity and they mention the Volt many times.

notables : its gets better fuel mileage (no doubt from all those wind cheating tricks), and battery lasts longer than the Volt.

Not surprisingly they point out many advantages of the Accord Hybrid over the Clarity, as I said a few posts back, the Accord Hybrid is the real winner here for many reasons.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-test-review

Last edited:
Well, sadly this thread will get very little action for the next 4 years. The actual dates for EV program termination have now been released. I still think they are the way forward, but the price gap needs to be in the ballpark of $3000 for them to make any sense at all. At the $10,000+ premium, they will be back to expensive toys for people with excess disposable income and/or image issues.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-incentive-program.shtml

Applications will be accepted from dealerships, car owners or prospective car owners only if one of the following conditions has been met:

Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
In addition, the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program is cancelled effective July 11. Charging stations purchased and/or installed before this date will be eligible to receive incentives if the application is submitted within 60 days of July 11.

Last edited:
I suspect car companies will lower their prices somewhat, but not to the tune of $13-$14K. I wonder what this will do to prices on the pre owned market.

One of the reasons I bought last year, while the FJ was still running great and gas prices were relatively 'normal' - albeit, climbing - was this very fear ... there was no way I would be getting into the plug-in market without that incentive, even if I waited out the Tesla M3 queue for mythical $40K version. So, thanks Ontario tax payers!

I think it's great!

I got tired of funding other people so they could buy Electric cars.

They are overpriced anyway.

Prices will come down for sure. Its inevitable.

I'm in no hurry.

I think it's great!

I got tired of funding other people so they could buy Electric cars.

They are overpriced anyway.

Prices will come down for sure. Its inevitable.

I'm in no hurry.
Agreed. I never felt that we as taxpayers should be funding other people's car purchase. Can't afford it? Buy something else. If the manufacturers want to sell plug in cars, price them accordingly.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Sweet bike! my fav!
I have the same...a 250 tho...very light to tow

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Cool. How's the car running now?

Running perfectly now.

Getting about 70-75km on battery so that tells me very little range loss over 6 years (if any).

The gas motor needed an exhaust manifold / cat and a new valve cover / PCV valve. I found that lots of info is out there if you search for a Cruze with the same symptoms. Very little info if you narrow your search specifically to a Volt with the same symptoms.

Filled up on May 26th and I still have 90km of gas range left. I consumed most of this tank driving from London to Mississauga and back home again, otherwise I’m on pace to get about 3-4 months out of a tank if I’m just commuting and driving locally.

Yesterday the fam got in the Volt and with the AC cranked I still got 60+ km on a charge.

Shame about the rebate, but there was always an end date no? Based on x-number of cars sold under this program.
I don't think it will affect manufacturers much since Ontario, heck, Canada is such a small market for their overall sales.

Maybe the used market will see some semblance of a 'correction' on 60,000km first/second gen Volts.
What I'm hoping for are more Konas/CRV/Rav4's to include a similar power train to the Volt. Okay electric only range (100-150km?) + gas range extender.
Tow with it, sleep in it, sit 5 in comfort and roadtrip a bit.

Shame about the rebate, but there was always an end date no? Based on x-number of cars sold under this program.
I don't think it will affect manufacturers much since Ontario, heck, Canada is such a small market for their overall sales.

Maybe the used market will see some semblance of a 'correction' on 60,000km first/second gen Volts.
What I'm hoping for are more Konas/CRV/Rav4's to include a similar power train to the Volt. Okay electric only range (100-150km?) + gas range extender.
Expect used prices to jump now that new ones are 14000 more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Expect used prices to jump now that new ones are 14000 more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

US had the rebate scaling back based on how many cars a manufacturer had sold. Tesla hit the threshold so IIRC vehicles delivered in 2019 get half the original rebate. AFAIK, Ontario never contemplated winding the program up. They implemented it and would deal with the future later when it became politically convenient.

I'm with SS, I think used PIEV prices will rise a few grand. Without the 14K on new vehicles, the market for affordable PIEV's (eg Volt, bolt, Clarity) is probably dead. Tesla has enough fanboys that they will still move some 3's (and obviously the S and X were out already so they will be unaffected). The jump in used vehicle prices will be roughly the fuel/maintenance savings expected over the equivalent conventional vehicle. Anything more than that is idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom