Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 118 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Awesome.

For comparison, 15,000KM on a pickup/SUV consuming ~15L/100KM and $1.20/L average gas price would have cost someone $2700 in gas.

A Prius consuming 5L/100KM using the same gas price would have used $720 in gas. And you’d be stuck driving a POS Prius. :D

In my old truck I was getting about 11L/100km so it would have been around $2000. The CTS-V was getting around 14L/100km of premium so around $2700.

For what we were spending in gas between the Colorado and CTS-V we now have two shiny new cars in the driveway and extra cash in our pockets every month.

Awesome.

For comparison, 15,000KM on a pickup/SUV consuming ~15L/100KM and $1.20/L average gas price would have cost someone $2700 in gas.

A Prius consuming 5L/100KM using the same gas price would have used $720 in gas. And you’d be stuck driving a POS Prius. :D
For comparison, 15,000KM on my Chev Cruze consuming exactly 6.9L/100KM and using $1.13/L actual average gas price cost me $1170.

Amortizing the cost of the cars over 72 months, a Cruze LT is $305/mo ($22K out the door), the similar equipped Volt LT (35K out the door) is $486/mo. I drive 2000km/month, so the Volt would cost me more until gasoline hit ~$1.60/l. Above $1.60/l and the volt gets cheaper.

BTW:

1) A Prius at 5l/100 would have used 750l and at $1.20/l the total fuel cost is $900.
2) $240.70 for 3700kw of electricity is 6.5cents/kwh -- pretty cheap - I think you may have forgotten to include utility, delivery and HST costs. Non prime in Markham through PowerStream/Alectra is $0.124 all-in, 3703KWH would cost me $455.

2) $240.70 for 3700kw of electricity is 6.5cents/kwh -- pretty cheap - I think you may have forgotten to include utility, delivery and HST costs. Non prime in Markham through PowerStream/Alectra is $0.124 all-in, 3703KWH would cost me $455.

I didn't forget, I'd be paying the utility and delivery costs regardless of what I used the power for, but yes, the HST should be included. It's only meant to be a rough calculation. While the argument can certainly be made that there were other vehicles that we could have chosen that might have netted us a technically better ROI, the bottom line for me is that I have more cash in my pocket every month and I'm enjoying two shiny new cars :)

I didn't forget, I'd be paying the utility and delivery costs regardless of what I used the power for, but yes, the HST should be included. It's only meant to be a rough calculation. While the argument can certainly be made that there were other vehicles that we could have chosen that might have netted us a technically better ROI, the bottom line for me is that I have more cash in my pocket every month and I'm enjoying two shiny new cars :)
Delivery costs are metered, not flat rate -- the more you use, the more delivery you pay.

Go here is you want to see the impact of delivery, regulatory and taxes on your bill. https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-protection/energy-contracts/bill-calculator

Don't forget that there isn't much scheduled maintenance on the Bolt, either. No scheduled oil change every few thousand km.

Don't forget that there isn't much scheduled maintenance on the Bolt, either. No scheduled oil change every few thousand km.

Not to mention brake maintenance can be less expensive to some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolt premiere, $41,780

Tesla Model 3, $45,600

I'd pay the extra 4g and wait a little longer for a far more exciting (and much faster) and better looking vehicle. Canadian deliveries are starting as soon as a month.

Bolt premiere, $41,780

Tesla Model 3, $Unavailable

Fixed that for you.

Tesla isn't building any of the base Model 3 for the foreseeable future ... and the base model without the long-range battery will probably (we don't know yet, specs not released, unavailable!) have a shorter range than the Bolt.

The Model 3s that people have been taking delivery of in the US have been US$56k with essentially no choices to be made other than what colour and whether you want the future autopilot system.

Not to mention brake maintenance can be less expensive to some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say not some but rather most drivers will save money regarding brake service. I'd like to see a driver in EV vehicle who will wear brakes anywhere near the rate on non-EV vehicle (constantly towing car in hills with a weak regen ... or something along the lines). It's really hard to do ... unless you are a nut, like the guy who bought model 3 and wanted to have his 5 minutes of Tube fame so took it to Seca and posted the video of his brakes after .... pads gone to metal after 9miles on the track ... I guess the Tube fame is worth it for some people.

I'd pay the extra 4g and wait a little longer for a far more exciting (and much faster) and better looking vehicle. Canadian deliveries are starting as soon as a month.

Hey, you do you, the rest of us will continue to not care what you do.

Fixed that for you.

Tesla isn't building any of the base Model 3 for the foreseeable future ... and the base model without the long-range battery will probably (we don't know yet, specs not released, unavailable!) have a shorter range than the Bolt.

The Model 3s that people have been taking delivery of in the US have been US$56k with essentially no choices to be made other than what colour and whether you want the future autopilot system.

LOL ... fake news machine .... He just saw that Tesla invited a whack of Canadians to configure their orders ... but forgot to mention that almost 90% of them want AWD and long range ... which means much much higher price and not available until probably mid 2019. The only reason they are invited Canadians is to take care of the US rebate and prolong it for US customers, in case that some Canadians want the car in trim available now. They know it will not be many ...

And what's the likelihood that the ON $14000 incentive will still be around in 2019, when the base Tesla 3 will be available for Canadian orders? :sad1:

I'd say not some but rather most drivers will save money regarding brake service. I'd like to see a driver in EV vehicle who will wear brakes anywhere near the rate on non-EV vehicle (constantly towing car in hills with a weak regen ... or something along the lines). It's really hard to do ... unless you are a nut, like the guy who bought model 3 and wanted to have his 5 minutes of Tube fame so took it to Seca and posted the video of his brakes after .... pads gone to metal after 9miles on the track ... I guess the Tube fame is worth it for some people.

EV brakes don't wear out but they commonly seize up and require replacement. A mechanic friend says he replaces calipers much more often on hybrids than on ICE vehicles as they don't get continually heated to dry them out. EV's will be even worse than hybrids for this.

I doubt it ... all it takes is to use them a couple of times a day. The manufacturer's know it too. Sure you find a glider or two, who will not squeeze the brake pedal for the life of theirs ... but even these people will learn to do that. Or even better, the car will keep track and make sure they use the brakes instead of regen after x amount of miles without engaging hydraulic brakes. Cannot be that difficult ...

And for some of us we can also throw in the amount of time not spent in traffic as we cruise along in the HOV lane, not stuck in bumper to bumper traffic:)
My time is worth more than money.

And what's the likelihood that the ON $14000 incentive will still be around in 2019, when the base Tesla 3 will be available for Canadian orders? :sad1:

What's the likelihood the PC has majority? ... answer this and you find an answer to your question ... :)

I don't think they will pull it completely, but they will bring it down to where other provinces kind of sit. definitely under 10K, would be my guess. After 2021 it will not matter much, because OEM's will actually compete and more cars will be available. Right now, it's pretty lethargic as far as what's available.

Fixed that for you.

nobody wants a base model anyways. Tesla is smart, and is making the first Model 3's in its most appealing form. extended range 499km battery, and premium package. for a $47k cdn price tag. inc rebate.

canadian deliveries are said to arrive in the next 3 to 7 weeks for reservation holders.

Get ready for a big disruption folks. Sure you pay a bit more, but you will get so much more than a Bolt. Style, speed, and no dorky looks.

...47k INCLUDING the rebate.

The Bolt price that you quoted is before the rebate LOL

Correct, the "base" Tesla, when finally available with similar range to Bolt will be $31,600 with rebate, and still far more appealing then a Bolt

far far more appealing, faster and much more desirable than a Bolt

How do you spell disruption?

T-E-S-L-A

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom