Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 101 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Another co-worker getting onto the EV train where I'm at! Guy was looking for a Volt but said because it was such a long wait (3-4 months) he ended up buying a Golf VW EV....unfortunately they told him 1 month which is not at 4 months of waiting anyway...apparently car is in Halifax now.

You meant Bolt, not Volt, right?

So it must be 2017 e-Golf though he's ordered in summer 2017, right? Because when I tried to buy 2018 in beginning of Dec 2017, they said delivery summer 2018, but couldn't guarantee it and would not tell me whether they will offer any lease deals. I walked away, because they looked like they had no clue what's going on in their supply chain .... Anyway, it's a very good car. I liked it quite a bit. But I am a sucker for Golf hatch ... LOL

Compare to the alternative: Photoelectric cells (about 20% efficient) to storage battery (round-trip about 80 - 90% efficient give or take) to motor that drives the wheels (about 90% efficient even including the AC inverter).

The thing is, that the above is not limited just to solar ... the electrical solution doesn't care where the clean or almost clean power comes from. It leaves a lot of flexibility for essentially every place to get their hands on it at some point. That is the beauty of it.

Thanks Brian, for your technical and detailed write-up.

The fully electric and hybrid Jeep will make the big move for EV.
Too bad they won't portal-axle it and give it an overwhelming ground clearance.

The fully electric and hybrid Jeep will make the big move for EV.
Too bad they won't portal-axle it and give it an overwhelming ground clearance.

Haha, an electric, portal axle Jeep? 6 figures would be well in the rear view mirror.

It already exists, sort of .... http://bollingermotors.com/ ... I have been following them for a while. I kept thinking they will tank at some point like many EV startups. But they are showing signs of live with some actual pre-orders.

Pre-orders only matter if they can hit their overly ambitious price of ~60-80K. As they are "hoping to come in under 100K", my money is on $99,999+options. Since production won't start for another year, I could be wrong as that gives components another year to mature and lower prices. Sure they can sell a few at that price, but many of the pre-orders will drop out when it comes time to write a 6 figure cheque.

You meant Bolt, not Volt, right?

So it must be 2017 e-Golf though he's ordered in summer 2017, right? Because when I tried to buy 2018 in beginning of Dec 2017, they said delivery summer 2018, but couldn't guarantee it and would not tell me whether they will offer any lease deals. I walked away, because they looked like they had no clue what's going on in their supply chain .... Anyway, it's a very good car. I liked it quite a bit. But I am a sucker for Golf hatch ... LOL

Guy said he was trying to find a Volt, not Bolt. But he said that he knows nothing and is now learning.

yes it’s a 2017 and he said 200km range when full. Also mentioned a 0.9% lease rate where Ford wanted 3.9% for the e-Focus so he selected the golf instead. He was also ****** because seemed like VW had no clue what was going on with the car, where it was at any point in time, or when it would arrive. Dealer gave him a car while he waits as he sold his car as we their last promised delivery date that they missed.

Pre-orders only matter if they can hit their overly ambitious price of ~60-80K. As they are "hoping to come in under 100K", my money is on $99,999+options. Since production won't start for another year, I could be wrong as that gives components another year to mature and lower prices. Sure they can sell a few at that price, but many of the pre-orders will drop out when it comes time to write a 6 figure cheque.

Yeah yeah ... I know, just what people said about Tesla back in a day ...... 10 or so years ago. Not saying that this company is another Tesla, but who knows, right?

Make no mistake, the big boys are waiting for the small start-ups. They are using them as a litmus test. So whatever you might think of those attempts, they are vitally important in the big picture ....

Guy said he was trying to find a Volt, not Bolt. But he said that he knows nothing and is now learning.

Ton of Volts on the market, I think he meant Bolt.

yes it’s a 2017 and he said 200km range when full. Also mentioned a 0.9% lease rate where Ford wanted 3.9% for the e-Focus so he selected the golf instead. He was also ****** because seemed like VW had no clue what was going on with the car, where it was at any point in time, or when it would arrive. Dealer gave him a car while he waits as he sold his car as we their last promised delivery date that they missed.

Not surprised. VW seems to continue with their chaotic management. The sad part is, the car is really good. I just could not take and wait for them to get their **** together ... nor do I ever sign a contract not knowing when and how much. There seems to be plenty of people around who do though ....

This is scary, in some ways, at least to me .... Bolt with no steering wheel.

gm-cruise-av-e1515761360705.jpg

Typically no, you'll only see the suppliers pass on such savings to the manufacturers after 1 full year of production.

Yeah yeah ... I know, just what people said about Tesla back in a day ...... 10 or so years ago. Not saying that this company is another Tesla, but who knows, right?

Make no mistake, the big boys are waiting for the small start-ups. They are using them as a litmus test. So whatever you might think of those attempts, they are vitally important in the big picture ....

Then they buy them out for the patents.

I am not so sure about that ... Tesla is very different company, with very different mindset and very different investors backing .... selling to legacy OEM would be considered a treason ... LOL

I have my doubts that ANY self-driving system would function on a day like today.

I agree if they keep trying to develop independent systems for every vehicle. If self-driving roads were treated more like controlled airspace, it might work. GPS keeps them on course, vehicles entering the controlled space know to announce their presence and are told when to enter and any non-controlled obstacle (eg people and animals) are reported to the controller so nearby vehicles know where to focus their attention. Hell, it may even fix some stupidity as vehicles with terrible tires couldn't comply with directions and would be forced to exit at the next safe location. Obviously this system is a long way from where we are (and may only ever work on controlled access roads).

I agree if they keep trying to develop independent systems for every vehicle. If self-driving roads were treated more like controlled airspace, it might work. GPS keeps them on course,

I think it's just a matter of time before a standardized system becomes reality, the same as how the J1772 charging standard (the standard "EV Plug") became the now accepted standard for EV charging versus having each manufacturer start going in all sorts of different proprietary directions. And now CCS (J1772 with a fast charging subcomponent) is also the increasingly standardized super-fast style connector.

Self driving is still in it's absolute infancy and every manufacturer is trying their own thing right now, however. Until it starts to be come more mainstream I don't doubt you'll see a lot of fragmentation in it's implementation.

I have my doubts that ANY self-driving system would function on a day like today.

Not sure it could possibly be any worse when compared to what I see passing for driving in any instance of inclement weather, no matter how minor.

Nah, they won't drive all that badly. They'll just write "ERROR" on that big screen and give up.

Back
Top Bottom