Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 100 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

The one that I was involved with is a private installation - no public access. You cannot drive up your own fuel-cell vehicle and refill it there. (Security won't even let you past the gate nevermind get inside the building where it's located.) I know exactly where it is ... but I will respect the NDA.

From that article:

Five stations have been built in British Columbia since 2005, one each in Whistler, at the University of British Columbia, in Burnaby, and two that were later moved to Surrey. There are no official plans to build any more fuelling stations In Canada as the project ended in March 2011.[SUP][43][/SUP]

Last edited:
It's kicked up a lot of fuss in the motoring world, but I think GM is ahead of the curve on this and will benefit in the long run when the rest of the industry catches up. Outside North America manufacturers are already ahead of the curve on this, but here on this continent where a good portion of the population are convinced that a 4X4 is essential for being able to get out of your own driveway and to the corner store every time we get 2CM of snow, it'll take some time for perspectives to change.

Eventually gas will get stupid expensive again and one can only hope that manufacturers start to push the cost savings aspect. Even the hard core gas pig crowd will eventually decide that $200 fillups might be worth compromising a little for when $5 of electricity will accomplish the same thing.
Oil is only going to go down in price over the long term. The world burns 1 million less barrels of oil today then we did yesterday. This has been happening for 3 years now. Also why saudi is trying to move as much as possible, before it's worth a lot less.

The one that I was involved with is a private installation - no public access. You cannot drive up your own fuel-cell vehicle and refill it there. (Security won't even let you past the gate nevermind get inside the building where it's located.) I know exactly where it is ... but I will respect the NDA.

From that article:

Five stations have been built in British Columbia since 2005, one each in Whistler, at the University of British Columbia, in Burnaby, and two that were later moved to Surrey. There are no official plans to build any more fuelling stations In Canada as the project ended in March 2011.[SUP][43][/SUP]

you can't conclude that Canada will "never" see another hydrogen station from that article. please.

https://www.canadianmanufacturing.c...eling-stations-as-feds-shell-out-1-6m-190177/

https://canadianautodealer.ca/2017/04/public-hydrogen-fueling-stations-on-the-way/

It's. Gonna. Happen.

Last edited:
The EV1 was in no way ready for the mass market in its day. It was essentially legislated prematurely into existence by a California decree that a certain percentage of light-duty vehicle had to be zero emissions by the early 2000s (I forget exactly which year, 2002-ish give or take); this was subsequently revoked when it became apparent that there was no way this was ever going to happen. The EV1 used lead-acid batteries at first, NiMH later on, but neither one is any match for lithium batteries which had not been commercialized in large enough quantities in the 1990s.

Make no mistake; lessons learned with EV1 were incorporated in the Chevrolet Volt, and lessons learned in the Volt 1 have been applied to Volt 2 and Bolt.

Just because you "can" produce something at a certain date doesn't mean you "should". EVs without charging infrastructure everywhere are dead in the water which is why it would have been premature to build one in 2011 even if they could have (the only way this would have worked is to do what Tesla actually did starting a year later). Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles without refueling infrastructure everywhere are equally dead in the water. The fortunate thing is that an EV can be charged (if slowly) at any ordinary receptacle and the distribution network for electricity generally already exists.

I think I've already mentioned it somewhere in this vast thread but I've been involved in a prototype hydrogen fuel cell refueling system for a private installation (all vehicles operate on the site, so the lack of ability to publicly refuel them is not an issue). The countermeasures against leaks and fire are exceptionally challenging and expensive. Hydrogen leaks through anything. It leaks THROUGH many materials. You can't see it, you can't smell it. The odorants used in natural gas (so that people can smell a leak) will poison the materials used in fuel cells so you can't use those (perhaps something else can be used, but not that particular one - it contains sulfur - no bueno). It has a very wide range between the LEL (lower explosive limit) and HEL. It has a very low ignition energy (static electricity will do it). Hydrogen flames are invisible. The only good thing about it is that IF there is a leak, it quickly dissipates up and out, but you had better not have a spark anywhere near the leak. And all of this is on top of the expenses and inefficiencies of producing, transporting, and storing it.

I have a rough idea what that installation cost. I also have a NDA to respect. I don't think it would violate the NDA to state that it was a big number.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

In high school we separated hydrogen and oxygen from water by simple electrolysis. That's great if you need a bit to make a flame in a test tube but powering a fuel cell needs a lot more.

I'm not in the industry and don't know if there are any other ways to make the big H. If not a quantum leap is required. Similar to the invention of the transistor paving the way to modern electronics.

Not being a chemist I'm also out of the loop on molecule sizes but recall a discussion re a ship explosion where H filtering through a tank was a possible cause.

Re the warning odour, even if the sulfur stink chemicals were OK with the processes would they get filtered out?

None of this stuff is simple once you get out of the high school chemistry lab. Compressing gases creates heating issues not unlike fast charging batteries.

If I need a bit of hydrogen I could make it with a battery charger but how big a charger would I need to equal the mileage equivalent of a Bolt? A full tank in eight hours.

Also what is the preferred way to go. Hydrogen fuel cell to electric motor or hydrogen direct to ICE?

Two filling stations to fill the science experiments. Meh.

The GM EV-1 was a science experiment.

with hydrogen, I think it has already proven to be more than this.

We aren't talking a single company trying to make a go of H powered cars or cars only at dream concept drawing stage. There are a few players that have models fully developed and ready or have something on the drawing board.

Hyundai, BMW, Honda, Merecedes, GM, Toyota, Audi, Lexus, Ford and more.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/12-hydrogen-car-projects-2017-5

Last edited:
Just because you "can" produce something at a certain date doesn't mean you "should". EVs without charging infrastructure everywhere are dead in the water which is why it would have been premature to build one in 2011 even if they could have (the only way this would have worked is to do what Tesla actually did starting a year later). Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles without refueling infrastructure everywhere are equally dead in the water. The fortunate thing is that an EV can be charged (if slowly) at any ordinary receptacle and the distribution network for electricity generally already exists.

I think I've already mentioned it somewhere in this vast thread but I've been involved in a prototype hydrogen fuel cell refueling system for a private installation (all vehicles operate on the site, so the lack of ability to publicly refuel them is not an issue). The countermeasures against leaks and fire are exceptionally challenging and expensive. Hydrogen leaks through anything. It leaks THROUGH many materials. You can't see it, you can't smell it. The odorants used in natural gas (so that people can smell a leak) will poison the materials used in fuel cells so you can't use those (perhaps something else can be used, but not that particular one - it contains sulfur - no bueno). It has a very wide range between the LEL (lower explosive limit) and HEL. It has a very low ignition energy (static electricity will do it). Hydrogen flames are invisible. The only good thing about it is that IF there is a leak, it quickly dissipates up and out, but you had better not have a spark anywhere near the leak. And all of this is on top of the expenses and inefficiencies of producing, transporting, and storing it.

I have a rough idea what that installation cost. I also have a NDA to respect. I don't think it would violate the NDA to state that it was a big number.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

Hydrogen fool cell .... oh yeah. Such a wasteful idea of propulsion when compared to electricity and its availability in every house ... Hard to believe that this thing keeps popping up and that every OEM still maintains R&D expenditure. No doubt fueled by dumb jurisdictions around the world handing research money out. You want to complain about waste incentive money, here's your chance ... complain about hydrogen fool cell money. This is your chance to rant and actually help divert money into infrastructure where it's actually needed and makes sense.

Also what is the preferred way to go. Hydrogen fuel cell to electric motor or hydrogen direct to ICE?

Neither one. The ideal would be grid based on solely on solar/wind/hydro/gas (as an immediate backup when and where needed) to electric motor. It's not even contest at this point in time and will not be for many many decades. Waste of bandwith. As simple as that.

It's just one of those dreams people keep having, because it's sound noble and because Toyota/Honda keep putting money into the research .... it gets repeated over and over and over .... so people think it's possible, but the opposite is indisputably true. it's sort of like when Trump says coal can be made clean and keeps repeating it. His base believes in that, even though the coal workers know it's BS.

Just look here, even without the tremendous costs required to make the right side happen, it's blatantly obvious which type of "fuel" is the way to go ...

169.jpg

Last edited:
Oil is only going to go down in price over the long term. The world burns 1 million less barrels of oil today then we did yesterday. This has been happening for 3 years now. Also why saudi is trying to move as much as possible, before it's worth a lot less.

Don't assume that the cartel will just pass the money to you, and consumer .... we all know how "hard" oil companies compete on our or any market, right? But I would agree it will not get crazy more expensive that it is now. Something else will happen rather .... some ICE cars values will drop their pants as people will be slooooowly moving to electric. Dealers will low ball people on trade in even more, so many people will opt to drive their ICE to the ground rather than take a beating.

Anyway that's my guess worth exactly 0.02$

Don't assume that the cartel will just pass the money to you, and consumer .... we all know how "hard" oil companies compete on our or any market, right? But I would agree it will not get crazy more expensive that it is now. Something else will happen rather .... some ICE cars values will drop their pants as people will be slooooowly moving to electric. Dealers will low ball people on trade in even more, so many people will opt to drive their ICE to the ground rather than take a beating.

Anyway that's my guess worth exactly 0.02$

Perhaps a good time to switch over to leasing cars for those who don't already?

Hydrogen fool cell .... oh yeah. Such a wasteful idea of propulsion when compared to electricity and its availability in every house ... Hard to believe that this thing keeps popping up and that every OEM still maintains R&D expenditure. No doubt fueled by dumb jurisdictions around the world handing research money out. You want to complain about waste incentive money, here's your chance ... complain about hydrogen fool cell money. This is your chance to rant and actually help divert money into infrastructure where it's actually needed and makes sense.

I mentioned the quantum leap needed. One doesn't find a quantum leap unless they look.

Before acetylene gas was harnessed it took a week to cut a porthole in a battleship using kerosene torches and chisels. Acetylene was too unstable for anything except carbide lamps. A quantum leap was made and with acetylene torches the portholes could be cut in minutes instead of days.

Because of acetylene's unstable nature, it must be stored under special conditions. This is accomplished by dissolving the acetylene in liquid acetone. The liquid acetone is then stored in the acetylene cylinder, which in turn, is filled with a porous (sponge-like) cementitious material.

The H system needs a similar production quantum leap. The insanity definition "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" seems to define the present approach. It isn't a different process experiment because the lab worker wears a different coloured shirt.

I learned about electrolysis over 50 years ago and have yet to be convinced that it has advanced any more than the art of boiling water. The H-men need to get their heads out of the boxes. Prudently (does anyone know what that means anymore?) fund new concepts instead of buying different coloured shirts for the technicians.

I mentioned the quantum leap needed. One doesn't find a quantum leap unless they look.

True ..... however the issue is when when people try to make a case for hydrogen today and use it as an excuse not to get into electric, because somehow they think there will be "soon" coming superior hydrogen fuel solution. And that is BS ... Some big companies would like to replace the oil dependency to hydrogen dependency, sure, but I don't think they stand a chance today. The electrical solution is good, just needs to get more efficient ..... cost-wise, density-wise and easy of use wise (quicker long distance charging).

So, I say, you guys play all you can with H2 in your labs and military security fueling stations, just don't detract rest of us from the obvious solution available today ... :)

Last edited:

Using hydrogen in a combustion engine - with the exception of highly specialized applications that demand it without concern for the efficiency, e.g. rocket propulsion - is insanity. The efficiency is too poor. Hydrogen is not a good fuel for an internal combustion engine at the best of times. IIRC the octane rating is 68.

I know BMW was playing with using hydrogen in a combustion engine at one point, but it went nowhere. If you're going to use hydrogen, fuel cells are how it's going to be.

The thing that is misdirected about the use of hydrogen is that WE ALREADY KNOW how to "use" it. We know how to build fuel cells. If a miracle occurs on the production and storage side, we know what to do it. What needs work is the production side.

Here are the ways that we know how to produce hydrogen:

(1) Natural gas + steam into a chemical reaction called "reformulation" with the outputs being CO (possibly CO2) and H2. This is how hydrogen is produced today in the quantities needed for industrial processes. Note that it still uses fossil fuel and it still produces CO2, which begs the "why bother" question. If you need to use a chemical process that requires hydrogen as an input then so be it. If you are going to propel a vehicle with the hydrogen then "why bother"? Natural gas is easier to store and it's easier to use ... just skip the whole hydrogen step. Natural-gas-fueled vehicles are on the road today - plenty of them.

(2) Electrolysis. Water + vast amounts of DC amps at low voltage -> hydrogen and oxygen gases. There is an energy loss associated with this process because you have to use higher voltage than the theoretical (low) electrochemical voltage in order to drive the reaction forward. This is not done on a large commercial scale today because it's far more expensive to use electricity as the energy source for this as opposed to natural gas in the steam-reformulation reaction.

(3) Photochemical. There are some photochemical processes that have been demonstrated at a laboratory scale to produce relatively tiny amounts of hydrogen from water. None of them are particularly efficient, e.g. they only work with certain wavelengths of light (which means incoming sunlight containing a variety of wavelengths is poorly utilized) and the efficiency in reality ends up being lousy. Using huge tracts of land to photochemically produce hydrogen and then somehow collect the hydrogen that is produced diffusely over that entire tract of land ... doesn't seem to be very practical.

Compare to the alternative: Photoelectric cells (about 20% efficient) to storage battery (round-trip about 80 - 90% efficient give or take) to motor that drives the wheels (about 90% efficient even including the AC inverter).

Right now the focus is on lithium batteries. For stationary storage there are other alternatives ... like sodium-sulfur. They aren't really suitable for mobile applications because they operate at somewhat elevated temperature (molten sodium, molten sulfur) but this isn't an issue for stationary applications ... and it eliminates the need for exotic materials. Sodium and sulfur are both commonplace. I know Mr Musk wants to use his lithium batteries for stationary storage as well, but it's probably not the best choice. (What's best for stationary isn't necessarily best for mobile and vice versa)

I mentioned the quantum leap needed. One doesn't find a quantum leap unless they look. .

The thing is, science is still science. As Brian so elequently detailed in his response, it's not just generating it...it's the storage aspect and risk aspect.

It's only a matter of time before a hydrogen car goes full Hindenburg after a wreck. It's only the fact that there's such a token amount of them out there that this hasn't happened yet.

Just look here, even without the tremendous costs required to make the right side happen, it's blatantly obvious which type of "fuel" is the way to go ...

169.jpg

Yep, been saying that since page 1 here. Along with all the lossy realities of actually generating hydrogen to begin with (again, as demonstrated by Brian) only to end up just converting it back to electricity at the end anyways, it seems like a stupid system to me.

Yet mysteriously, our gas prices are going up. and the price of oil, despite market sensibility (reduced consumption, increased supply) keeps climbing.

Mysterious, huh? And I doubt it's going to stop. The oil companies, the physical producers, and countries that export oil are awesome at manufacturing all sorts of reasons to prop up the price of oil.

I doubt it's going to get better. For some strange reason the law of supply and demand doesn't seem to apply to oil.

But the world is not just cowboys and rednecks or green people. Somehow, the world is forgetting all the people in between .... there's people, families who just need something little bigger with convenient towing capabilities. If people buy Pacifica vans, why would they not buy Equinox with 20kWh battery or something along the lines so they can get to work just on electrons and haul stuff far and away on the weekend using ICE where needed. There's definitely market for that ...

The problem at this point is still consumer acceptance and consumer misunderstanding, the latter being the biggest issue, and they go together.

One thing that would majorly dispel that for consumers would be something like a mega version of the Volt, in an in-demand vehicle like the mini-pickup/crossover market. A 60kW battery that'll take it hundreds of kilometers on battery alone, and a range extender that'll take you anywhere you want to go on top of that would instantly eliminate the age old "Dead battery on the side of the road!" har-har's that always flood any EV discussion online.

And then the automakers actually need to push the facts about how cheap electric travel is compared to gas. THIS is the part people don't get - again, you only need to look as far as any EV topic on Facebook to see the inevitable "HAHAHAH stupid electric cars, they cost more to drive than gas!" argument.

Would a 60KW vehicle with a range extender be a stepping stone vehicle like the Volt? Sure - eventually people will realize that they don't really need the REX, and eventually charging infrastructure will get to the point where it'll further cement the lack of need for a REX.

But, that assurance of knowing that they'll never be stranded on the side of the road, in a vehicle people actually want (The 4 door sedan/Volt is past is a much more limited market vs a Crossover) will be a big breaking point IMHO.

Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles without refueling infrastructure everywhere are equally dead in the water. The fortunate thing is that an EV can be charged (if slowly) at any ordinary receptacle and the distribution network for electricity generally already exists

Exactly, something that a lot of people want to conveniently discount all the time.

At this point I only have a single Level 2 charger at home, so our second Volt is charging on a Level 1. And despite being slower, it gets the job done just fine.

Yes, every receptacle is a "gas station" for EV's.

Last edited:
Another co-worker getting onto the EV train where I'm at! Guy was looking for a Volt but said because it was such a long wait (3-4 months) he ended up buying a Golf VW EV....unfortunately they told him 1 month which is not at 4 months of waiting anyway...apparently car is in Halifax now. Looking forward to seeing it. Apparently I'm now the 'EV Expert' at the office so every few days someone comes by for a chat....

EDIT: Fuel update....8100km driven with 110L of gas in 5 months of ownership...I like. And no issues in the snow so far, good winter tires, and easy on the pedals makes for a good solid drive as this thing is heavy AF.

Last edited:
EDIT: Fuel update....8100km driven with 110L of gas in 5 months of ownership...I like.

1.3L/100KM. 180.9MPG.

Yep, gotta like that. I’m hovering in the same territory. :)

I've gone up to 0.9 with this cold snap. :D

ERDTT (even though I was software disabling it most of the time, I did use it during that severe <25c snap) put a dent in mine, it would have been lower otherwise.

I'm going up to Newmarket today to pickup the floor mats for my second Volt, they finally arrived, so that'll dent things a little more LOL, I might go all the way down to only 160MPG or so average.
hehe.gif

Also stopping at the Sayal electronics supply place on the way home to get a resistor for a more permanent (but switchable) ERDTT disable, as well as a diode for the DRL mod - I'd like a little more light at night.

That's pretty awesome. The TDI had it's worst roadtrip mileage ever last week. Driving to london on friday with the cold, snow, traffic and a full car was 7.1 L/100 km. Coming home with better weather was 6. This car bottoms out around 5.3 when driving like a normal person. Even the last one rarely went below 4.

Back
Top Bottom