Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 138 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Marginal EV range? Are we talking about the same car? (You say later on, that 80km is all people need, so I am confused ...) ... the lowest model ever never had less than 115km of EV range, current generation has about 185km (EPA rated; I'd say 140ish average through 12mths incl. winter and hwy mix). The range extender ICE operates as series hybrid, meaning, it's pretty efficient for what it is. Yes, when ICE kicks in, it's far from the EV performance, but it's really to get you home or to fast charger. So I am not sure how can you even compare this vehicle to bad "hybrids" carrying 10kWh battery and having 20km EV range .... day and night difference.

I mean 80 km range on electric with a fully functional car driven by ICE after that.

It's not that the i3 RE loses electric car performance after the battery is depleted, it basically goes into limp mode and is barely driveable (top speed of ~120 km/h and we all know how acceleration disappears as you reach terminal velocity). In certain scenarios limits your top speed to 40 mph. Great a $56,000 ebike. You have roughly the power of a Ninja 300 in a vehicle that is ~3000 lbs heavier. Add to that a 7L gas tank and you are stopping for fuel every hour. It's basically got it's own built in tow truck to limp to a charger once your battery is depleted.

Some may find it a competent BEV (although the only owner I talked with was entirely unimpressed with winter range being ~1/2 of summer range which means he has trouble getting to work and back so he can't run the heater for much of his drive), but it is a terrible PIEV when compared to the competition.

Last edited:
The BMW i3 is what happens when regulators design a vehicle. It was designed to fulfill California's definition of a range-extended EV so that it could be driven in the car-pool lanes and qualify for some sort of incentive. It turns out that the regulators had a pretty poor foresight of how such a vehicle would actually be used.

The BMW i3 is what happens when regulators design a vehicle. It was designed to fulfill California's definition of a range-extended EV so that it could be driven in the car-pool lanes and qualify for some sort of incentive. It turns out that the regulators had a pretty poor foresight of how such a vehicle would actually be used.

Yeah, I thought the tiny gas tank was a packaging problem, but apparently it was a regulatory issue. To qualify as a BEV, it had to have a capacity of less than 2 gallons. Many owners carry a gas tank in the trunk on trips to cut the gas station visits by half or more. That seems much safer than having a proper tank. :/

I saw a load of T3's on a truck heading south on the 400. Wth? Shouldn't they be driving north? Where are T3's stored in Ontario before delivery?

Two places (I know of) where they're stored: the lot at the International Centre, where they've been doing hundreds of owner handoffs a day; and a lot visible from the 401, between Vic Park and the DVP.

Maybe the ones heading down the 400 came off a train at the big railyard at Keele and 7.

Two places (I know of) where they're stored: the lot at the International Centre, where they've been doing hundreds of owner handoffs a day; and a lot visible from the 401, between Vic Park and the DVP.

Maybe the ones heading down the 400 came off a train at the big railyard at Keele and 7.

Thanks. I am trying to remember where I was, I thought I was a lot further north (Holland Marsh area) but can't be sure. Mac yard would make sense.

So I got my Volt back after my fender bender. Turns out they had to replace a $3k part behind the headlight/bumper that controls the charging system.

...and guess what I'm having trouble with now. That's right. Car stops charging now randomly for no reasons.
I also have to take it back because the car is covered in those hologram buffer swirl marks.

I wish they wrote the bloody thing off. Damn these reflexes!

People bought Aztecs... people buy Jukes...
Not even if they were free....and I'm pretty cheap. I wondered what the design team at Nissan were thinking.
"Hey! Remember the Aztek? Can we make something just as ugly?"

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I'm currently trying to figure out if it's worth keeping the Volt I have (2014) or to sell it and just not bother with a car as I'll be gone for 3/4 of the month on that FIFO gig now.....or just rent a car for those 3 days (back to TO on Thurs morning, and leave on Tues afternoon) as wife still needs her car.

Would love to get the Gen2 with the way better range....could make it to work and back on a single charge...and wouldn't have to bother with the shuffle of cars during the day at the office chargers!

Last edited:
This was bound to happen:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...t-the-brakes-on-electric-vehicle-rebates.html

Get yer Volts, Pacificas and Claritys now!

No one has ever accused Musk of being dumb. He sent that huge shipment of M3's just in time. Based on Ford's treatment of greenON, the switch could be thrown at any time with no warning.

I wonder what auto sales contracts look like? If you get stuck with an PHEV/BEV for an extra $13,000 it would really suck. The dealer won't want the damn thing either as nobody will buy it at full price. Will manufacturers take them back or will dealers be forced to try to ship them out of province?

At one point the argument was that the rebate simply caused the price to increase by the same amount, which was pocketed by the manufacturer. According to that line of thinking, the price won't change.

Doubt that will happen. Instead you'll find everybody denies ever, ever making such a silly claim.

At one point the argument was that the rebate simply caused the price to increase by the same amount, which was pocketed by the manufacturer. According to that line of thinking, the price won't change.

Doubt that will happen. Instead you'll find everybody denies ever, ever making such a silly claim.

It's possible there may be a bit of that. Not 13K though. They know that the average new car buyer is shopping around 30, so they priced PHEV around 40 to 45. There may be a few thousand in there that they added to avoid undercutting the conventional models.

Last edited:
No problem with this Ford move.Didn't like my tax dollars helping someone buy a Tesla.I'm not sure about the rest of his eco cutbacks tho.There is going to be some fallout from those.

Back
Top Bottom