Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? - Page 136



Page 136 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136
Results 2,701 to 2,717 of 2717

Thread: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

  1. #2701
    DJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Forum Sponsor
    I was being sarcastic. I sent them a PM asking why the metrage is so low and why they feel it's valued more than a new 2nd generation one. They actually responded that a rep will contact me Tuesday.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

  2. #2702

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Why would i3 extended not be on that list? Marginal electric range (especially when cold). Limp mode while on gas engine. Ridiculously short range on gas. When someone asks about PHEV done poorly, that one is near the top of my list.
    Marginal EV range? Are we talking about the same car? (You say later on, that 80km is all people need, so I am confused ...) ... the lowest model ever never had less than 115km of EV range, current generation has about 185km (EPA rated; I'd say 140ish average through 12mths incl. winter and hwy mix). The range extender ICE operates as series hybrid, meaning, it's pretty efficient for what it is. Yes, when ICE kicks in, it's far from the EV performance, but it's really to get you home or to fast charger. So I am not sure how can you even compare this vehicle to bad "hybrids" carrying 10kWh battery and having 20km EV range .... day and night difference.


    I'm with you on these <40 km range PHEV's though. They are dumb and barely worth plugging in (and I suspect people will stop bothering to charge them as the novelty wears off). At ~80 km, many people can commute on electric alone, with <40 I suspect most people will be burning fuel daily (unless they charge at home and work). The price jump vs potential cost savings just doesn't add up until the range climbs.[/QUOTE]

    Most people in GTA would be OK with 40km for commute ... that's math vs average commute distance. But it's not practical, because you need to run errands after commute and have no time for charging until overnight. So, 60-80, I'd say is minimum. It's a good minimum balance between need and want ....

  3. #2703

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    The misfire could annoy the O2 sensor. I would use the car in gas mode for a bit to give it a run and get some fuel through it. If you still have problems after a few tanks proceed with further diagnostic work (assuming the misfire is occasional and not under load, you don't want to burn up your cat).
    Took the intake off and soaked the TB with Sea Foam. Let it sit for a few mins then stated the ICE.

    Idled fine for half an hour.

    So.... problem solved?!

  4. #2704

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    I'm betting no.

  5. #2705

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I'm betting no.
    Correct.

    Seems to be related to the MAF sensor.

  6. #2706

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    What about the O2 sensor? It's doesn't often register as failed unless it's failed, and it would cause the misfires.
    The odd times I felt I'd approached the truth, it rested on the premise that people are essentially good and smart.

  7. #2707
    DJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    I thought about this a bit and I remembered this same issue with my buddy's Mini and my neighbour's Audi.

    After ruling out plugs and coils it was actually carboned-up intake valves.

    Im not sure if the Volt is susceptible to that but something to check.
    Last edited by DJM; 05-20-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

  8. #2708

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    What about the O2 sensor? It's doesn't often register as failed unless it's failed, and it would cause the misfires.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I thought about this a bit and I remembered this same issue with my buddy's Mini and my neighbour's Audi.

    After ruling out plugs and coils it was actually carboned-up intake valves.

    Im not sure if the Volt is susceptible to that but something to check.
    O2 sensor has been replaced. That fault code is now gone.

    So it ran fine absolutely perfect when I had the AIH removed from on top of the motor and it was pulling air right into the TB. I let it run for a good 20-30 mins and not a single hiccup.

    Bolted the AIH, snorkels and airbox back on, and the miss came back.

    Disconnected the upper airbox from the lower (bypass the air filter) no change.

    Disconnected the intake snorkel from the upper airbox (bypass the MAF sensor) and the idle smoothed our right away.

    Switched between these setups and the consistent result was that when intake air is being pulled past the MAF sensor there is a miss.

    Tried cleaning the MAF sensor but saw no change. I know that a faulty or dirty MAF sensor can cause idle issues. Process of elimination makes me think the MAF sensor is faulty but Iím not getting any codes directly related to it.

  9. #2709

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Sounds like it. See if you can get the MAF tested, I think the self-test is kinda crude and won't catch some out of calibration MAFs. Or even better if you can swap with a known good one. If only there were a way to reach a lot of local Volt owners willing to help... of well.

    Dunno if your OBD reader gives you the ECU calibration but if so you can check if it's the latest version here https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web Could just need a software update.

    What does AIH stand for?
    The odd times I felt I'd approached the truth, it rested on the premise that people are essentially good and smart.

  10. #2710

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    AIH is Air Intake Heater.

    The big plastic box that bolts on top of the motor.

    I donít know anyone local with a Volt or Cruze I could swap with. Sigh....

  11. #2711

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    LOL I was Googling like mad thinking WTF?!? It just dawned on me

  12. #2712
    Iceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barrie, On
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by caboose56 View Post
    O2 sensor has been replaced. That fault code is now gone.

    So it ran fine absolutely perfect when I had the AIH removed from on top of the motor and it was pulling air right into the TB. I let it run for a good 20-30 mins and not a single hiccup.

    Bolted the AIH, snorkels and airbox back on, and the miss came back.

    Disconnected the upper airbox from the lower (bypass the air filter) no change.

    Disconnected the intake snorkel from the upper airbox (bypass the MAF sensor) and the idle smoothed our right away.

    Switched between these setups and the consistent result was that when intake air is being pulled past the MAF sensor there is a miss.

    Tried cleaning the MAF sensor but saw no change. I know that a faulty or dirty MAF sensor can cause idle issues. Process of elimination makes me think the MAF sensor is faulty but Iím not getting any codes directly related to it.
    I once got a lean bank/ misfiring code after an oil change and air filter swap. After much head scratching I realized the "tech had put the MAF in backwards, the airflow arrow was pointing the wrong direction. Flipped it around and it ran fine.

    Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    I've got to stop saying "how stupid can you be?", too many people take it as a challenge!

  13. #2713

    Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I once got a lean bank/ misfiring code after an oil change and air filter swap. After much head scratching I realized the "tech had put the MAF in backwards, the airflow arrow was pointing the wrong direction. Flipped it around and it ran fine.

    Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    I think it will only go in one way but I will double check!

    Edit: MAF sensor can only be installed one way.
    Last edited by caboose56; 05-21-2018 at 07:14 AM.

  14. #2714

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    O2 sensors, MAF sensors ... it must be ICE releated thread no? Did I wander into wrong forum? ... LOL ... I certainly don't miss those from VW Golf ... dashboard always lit up like xmas tree, no matter what or how often you replace the sensors. These sensors are great business, said one well known economist ...

  15. #2715
    DJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    I'd check here for guidance/answers: http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdispla...lt-(2011-2015)

    I'm sure someone has run across similar issues.

    And yeah, as an Audi owner if the CEL isn't on the bulb is burned out. J/K, but you do need a scantool as part of the ownership experience...
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

  16. #2716

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    Just got my Volt plated today. Replaced the MAF sensor and filled up with Shell 91. Seems to be running smooth now.

    Went for my first electric drive and Iíll do my first electric commute tomorrow.

  17. #2717
    DJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

    That's good to hear. Hopefully it was the maf and the issue is solved.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •