Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 146 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Congrats! A former WRX owner saying the Bolt is fun to drive says a lot. ;)

I have a co worker maybe looking for a Bolt as well, he has a 200KM round trip commute and is currently spending a fortune (~$40/day) driving a pickup. The Bolt will cost him under $2 in electricity.

On another note I’m pushing 8500KM on my current tank of gas, last fillled up in April. Hoping to hit 10,000KM on a single tank - will post a photo when I finally need to fill up, but I still have about 9L left in the tank and haven’t used a drop in about a month.

Welcome to the “Cars with bumpers that don’t fall off” club. ;)

I can confirm that while driving in heavy rain today the bumpers on both the Volt and the Bolt remained firmly attached.

My daughter Feetup is in Arizona on holiday.Loved this and said it is a rocket.
Tesla_zpsjec6olre.jpg

But the sound of this one!!!!
Porsche_zpsfcidpebc.jpg

Did the bumper fall off while you were there?
hehe.gif

/Sorry, but this joke is never gonna get old.
HiHi.gif

Last edited:
On another note I’m pushing 8500KM on my current tank of gas, last fillled up in April. Hoping to hit 10,000KM on a single tank - will post a photo when I finally need to fill up, but I still have about 9L left in the tank and haven’t used a drop in about a month.

Will be around 9000km on a single tank of gas by the end of the week. Still have 40% of the tank left.

I still figure I’ll transport dishwashers more often than i test 0-60 times.

My regular commuting in town uses very little fuel. I’d probably still be on my first tank of fuel if not for my out of town trips. Sunday was 350km. Yesterday was 260km.

I’m still at 1.9L/100km since I bought it which makes me quite happy.

Looking at a lightweight 4x7 utility trailer tomorrow. It also has a fold down ramp.

It’ll work well for towing the dirtbike as well as countless other tasks.

Not sure how badly it will compromise 0-60 times......

Closing in on 10,000KM on my current tank of gas. Will post photos of my trip odometer when I finally hit the goal, or need gas...whichever comes first. Still have 7L of gas left in the tank.

My brother in law (with his 2018 Volt) is over 12,000KM on only half a tank.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not earlier, but my sister bought a 2018 Kia Soul EV as well.

Just rolled over 30K on the Bolt, one month ahead of the 1 year mark. Almost 15K on the Volt and I think we may have filled up 4 times, but it is the car we use for longer trips so that's expected.

And we all still have our bumpers!

How are you liking the Bolt? It’s what my sister originally had on order however when the cancellation of the rebate program was announced she had about a week to find anything available in stock (to get in under the cut off for the rebates) that fit her needs at the time, and she found a Kia Soul EV available just outside Hamilton.

It’s working out quite well for her at this point, 185 km rated range is realistically providing 210–220 this time of year. Will be interesting to see how much is lost come winter. She goes to Hamilton about once a month and Peterborough once every week or two - there are easily accessible fast chargers in both locations. Aside from that it’s around town city type stuff.

Hands-down she wanted the longer range in the Bolt versus the Soul, however it is what it is, and after all the rebates and such she only paid a little over $20,000 for the Soul which is quite a good deal...and it was actually quite well equipped. She’s growing to love it and as I suspected she’s finding that she really didn’t need the range she thinks she did for her typical driving patterns...and if either my sister or my BIL need to go further, there’s always their Volt.

Still loving the Bolt, it's a pleasure to drive. I'm just hoping that someone comes up with some better tires for EVs. The car overwhelms the stock tires way too easily, especially in the rain.

I agree with your thoughts on the range, I've rarely run it down below 30% and have only had to charge away from home a couple of times since I got it, and that's before I changed jobs and halved my commute. It is certainly nice to never worry about range though. And I can drive like a hooligan and still not worry :)

I had one range anxiety moment in the Bolt this summer, but it was planned out and pretty much unavoidable. Taking a road trip to visit friends in Cleveland, there's a stretch between Buffalo and Cleveland without any DC fast charging. The Bolt has enough range to cover the distance on a full charge, but I wasn't wanting to wait all of that added time for the 100% charge. At the fast charge in Niagara, I stopped when it was about 92% charge because the projected range was 20km longer than the distance I needed to drive, and the last 10% really slows down (eventually down to regular 'ole L2 speed) because of the battery management strategies programmed in to preserve battery health. The last 20 minutes of my drive had the GOM flashing LOW and the propulsion power reduced with more prompts to charge immediately. When I stopped, it said I had 12km of range left, so within my plan. Still not fun driving with all of those alerts going!

It was my understanding that the Volt would automatically burn fuel so as to prevent staleness. Is this user adjustable for time/distance?

It was my understanding that the Volt would automatically burn fuel so as to prevent staleness. Is this user adjustable for time/distance?

The fuel is held under a vacuum and the computer allows the average of the tank (in the case of multiple fill ups that are getting old) to sit for 12 months. Beyond that it requires it either be burned, or diluted with fresh fuel which extends it somewhat.

It’s all automatic. Not user adjustable.

Yes, does run an engine maintenance cycle to lubricate the engine and use old gas if not run often enough. It's not user configurable, but based on actual usage of the engine.

Still loving the Bolt, it's a pleasure to drive. I'm just hoping that someone comes up with some better tires for EVs. The car overwhelms the stock tires way too easily, especially in the rain.:)

215/50-17 according to mr google. Seems to be a fair number of choices in that size. https://www.discounttire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/215-50-17

The stock tires are an energy-saving design, no doubt to eke out a tiny bit more range. I doubt if the difference would be more than a percent or so compared to a "normal" tire, or a couple percent compared to a "high performance" tire.

Stock tires also apparently have a self-sealing feature. Does the car have a spare tire? (Lots of cars don't, nowadays. Mine doesn't.)

There’s a fairly significant difference in economy between the factory LRR tires and “generic” all seasons, or worse yet, high performance.

On a big battery EV where your driving patterns means it wouldn’t matter, it’s an option.

On something like my Volt where it could mean the difference of getting 65-70km on a charge in the summer to only getting maybe the 55 it’s rated for, it’d be a much bigger impact. It also of course effects the gas fuel economy, which is why a lot of other economy cars are also using LRR’s now.

Last edited:
I know that there are tons of options for the stock tire size, one of the big car magazines did a test with a Bolt and proper performance tires. The reduction is range was significant as I recall. I won't replace them until they are worn out regardless so I'm waiting on the new EV specific designs that several companies are working on that are supposed to be better suited. The current generation LRR tires are still not designed with the instant torque of EVs in mind so they tend to wear out quicker than intended.

Just found the article.

https://insideevs.com/ultra-performance-tires-chevrolet-bolt/

It was MotorTrend and the range hit was 10.2%

Back
Top Bottom