Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 107 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

fastar1 - I do have just the defrost but it uses 100% of the climate control power when initially used. I want to use just the fan setting on the windshield without the feet where it uses a few % points of power only and there's nothing for that.

I'll try in a bit, but I wonder if one can press the standalone defrost button (to activate the windshield-only mode) and then select "Fan only" to actually disable the grid heater/AC.

I rarely use the defrost mode as well, mostly out of lack of need unless I'm trying to clear a real mess of ice/frost - I just use the defrost/foot setting with whatever nominal heat setting I need to keep the cabin warm instead, it does the job, but I do understand that if you have it on a low/no heat setting that cool air on the feet isn't always comfortable.

The dealers are clueless when dealing with EV customers. I brought my Bolt in for a software updated and was offered a Ford Expedition as a loaner. I declined and had them drop me off instead. It would have cost me more in gas than I spend in electricity in a week just to go home and back.

Given how dealers resent EVs for the most part, this feels to me like a deliberate f* you from the dealer. Who gets offered an Expedition as a loaner, especially at a GM dealer?!?

Given how dealers resent EVs for the most part,...
Why is that? I was interested in Volts and Bolts when I bought my car last spring, I got nudged away from EVs -- the dealer left me feeling EVs needed more time to mature. That was more than enough to scare me off.

Why is that? I was interested in Volts and Bolts when I bought my car last spring, I got nudged away from EVs -- the dealer left me feeling EVs needed more time to mature. That was more than enough to scare me off.

There should be a lot less service required. Service is how dealerships make most of their money.

There should be a lot less service required. Service is how dealerships make most of their money.

Exactly. Initial margins are way less vs that pavement princess 1/2 ton they’d much rather sell you, and profit making scheduled maintenance is drastically less after the fact. Look at the Bolt for example, there’s laughably little maintenance in the first 5 years - tire rotations and (IIRC) cabin air filter replacements are about it.

Dealers like profit pigs. EV’s are not amongst them.

Given how dealers resent EVs for the most part, this feels to me like a deliberate f* you from the dealer. Who gets offered an Expedition as a loaner, especially at a GM dealer?!?

The dealer gets their loaners from the local Enterprise rental location and they primarily stock medium and full size SUVs because that's what the local market is demanding. Blame the soccer moms, everything is their fault ;)

Anyhow, on another topic, it’s nice to see some warmer conditions again. I’ve already regained about 10KM of range since the deadest cold stretches, and know I’ll see another 15-20 more yet.

Anyhow, on another topic, it’s nice to see some warmer conditions again. I’ve already regained about 10KM of range since the deadest cold stretches, and know I’ll see another 15-20 more yet.

Yeah, I've seen an increase of 20-40km just from the end of last week. Couple of warm'ish days and the Guess-o-meter gets all optimistic!

Yeah I can't wait to get the lighter summer wheels on with the LRR tires.

I did a HID install on my Volt today. About to head out to see how they work. The stock headlights suck.

I'm running LED bulbs in my Volt. Installed them last summer. So far so good.

looking forward to seeing the results. Did you DIY or at a shop?

DIY, easy peasy. It became evident that the previous owner had actually had either HID's or LED's in it before as the protective caps on the backside of the headlights had already been drilled out to allow the wires to pass through.

I bought 6000K 55W HID's. I'd wanted 4300K ideally, but in 9006 (what the Volt needs) it seems 4300K was much harder to find as most people want the more blue colour from the 6000's, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Got them from a place at the Pickering Flea Market today - could have saved $20 buying on Amazon, but didn't want to wait 2-4 weeks for them to arrive especially since I start commuting to work again starting Tuesday in the morning darkness.

Anyhow, long story short, it's an INCREDIBLE difference. Best money I've spent on the car so far.

I do get a little flickering during the first 30 seconds or so from a cold start - some Googling indicates that there may not be quite enough amps making it through on the stock wiring to fire the ballast/ignitor, so I may have to add a relay setup, but I'll give it a week and see if it's maybe temperature related.

Bolt owners, here's a video showing how some of your car is put together (and apparently there's more coming).

I love that guys videos - I watched his Volt drivetrain teardown/explanation video some time ago, very knowledgable guy.

straight swap? Any pics of the upgrade? The stock lights are garbage.

Yup. Straight swap. Zero modification to the car is necessary. No cap drilling or anything. Just swap them in and go.

It looks close bit the cap screws on with room to spare. The little fans on the back can be heard if you listen closely cause the car is so quiet but it's only if you really listen and the car isn't moving.

Light output is decent, better than stock but not blinding...and even though they are cheap ebay bulbs they've been fine all this time *knock on wood* No flickering or anything. Even in this extreme cold we had this winter they've operated fine.

I thought about going LED vs HID, but I oped for HID for a few reasons:

• So much junk LED stuff out there that you never know if you're going to get something that's going to last 5 years, or 5 months.
  • I read a lot of info online about anything other than a full 4+ sided LED not providing an ideal beam, and a 4 sided decent quality LED ended up costing more than the HID set of higher output.
  • The projector style headlight on the volt is ideal for optimizing a super bright light source like an HID
  • And lastly, zero chance of blinding oncoming traffic no matter WHAT kind of bulb you install since the Volt uses a physical shutter system for high beam/low beam, not the bulb itself.

I thought about going LED vs HID, but I oped for HID for a few reasons:

• So much junk LED stuff out there that you never know if you're going to get something that's going to last 5 years, or 5 months.
  • I read a lot of info online about anything other than a full 4+ sided LED not providing an ideal beam, and a 4 sided decent quality LED ended up costing more than the HID set of higher output.
  • The projector style headlight on the volt is ideal for optimizing a super bright light source like an HID
  • And lastly, zero chance of blinding oncoming traffic no matter WHAT kind of bulb you install since the Volt uses a physical shutter system for high beam/low beam, not the bulb itself.

To touch on some of those points:

Mine are just a 2 sided LED and the beam pattern is fine. The projector seems to deal with the light well, as you mentioned PP.
I have looked into the 3 sided LED bulbs but since mine are fine and working perfectly I haven't found the need to change 'em.

Lots of junk LED's out there true...though they are so cheap I have 2 spare bulbs now for a fraction of what HID kits are going for.

HID's are the better choice in a lot of ways but my days of drilling holes in caps and wiring up stuff for HID kits is well behind me. Tired of dealing with flickering and low power issues when the headlights come on without the car running etc etc.

My work location is moving to Scarborough for the foreseeable future so that means my commute will now be minimum 110km/day from Mississauga.
I want to drive in the HOV lane, so any car that meet the green plate status is on the table.

I do not want this total expense to be over $40k and will happily buy used, although I read any rebates only apply to new vehicles.

I am leaning towards buying a hybrid, because of the length of my commute and it seems the Prius is the best bet for the money, but please offer up suggestions.
I don't care much for looks, but features are important.

Thoughts from those in the know?

Back
Top Bottom