Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 165 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Would 15 minutes be sufficient??

Some OEMs are pouring billions into R&D. One of the common goals is to see an approx 80% charge in 15 mins.

Even with current technology most two car households could easily switch to one of them being EV or PHEV with no requirement to change their driving habits.

To be completely honest... no.

You want to be waiting after work at the local charge station while everyone else is charging for who knows how long. Maybe your workplace has a charge station..maybe.. or charge at home. But then again those scenarios are all local city driving.

I believe for the extra cost it should be equivalent or better then what we can do now. I get it 15 mins doesn't sound so bad but factor in other variables (who knows what) it might not seem as great. I believe it will get there though.

Ask GM, they cancelled the Volt.

Ask Honda, they cancelled the Insight, the CRZ, the Element, the CRX, the DelSol, The Fit EV, the Prelude, The S2000...I can keep going.

By your logic any model that reaches the end of it's production run is a failure?

I see I'll have to start digging up contradictory quotes again. I've got all bloody day, it's cold out.

To be completely honest... no.

You want to be waiting after work at the local charge station while everyone else is charging for who knows how long.

If your EV has a 500KM range, are you suggesting that the average consumer is commuting....250K each way to work?

You see, that's where this argument falls apart. Once people start to comprehend that an average 20,000KM/year driver equals 54KM/day (which, not coincidentally, is basically what the first gen Volts were rated for...) people will understand that an EV with even a 250KM range will fit their needs perfectly with no need to charge anywhere except home at the end of the day.

As I've said before, public charging ONLY matters on trips outside your rated range. Much like gas stations only matter on road trips when you're out of gas.

And a 10 or 15 minute charging time on a road trip is also not a massive thing. Even a piss break and a coffee and donut run will take that long...much less a sit down meal somewhere.

And a 10 or 15 minute charging time on a road trip is also not a massive thing. Even a piss break and a coffee and donut run will take that long...much less a sit down meal somewhere.

Charging stations @ Webbers. They'll make a killing on top of the killing they're already making on people waiting 15 min. for their so-so burgers.

LOL. They're improving their batteries. I'm going to start calling you Shifty from now on.

Ok. Can't wait to see how much of the Volt makes it to the new electric caddy. I'm very sure they abandoned the strapping an engine to an electric car concept.

Clueless.....

Best Burgers in GTA is on Lakeshore in Etobicoke near Sauga;

Woody's Burgers.

Go try the Bison Burger and thank me later.

If your EV has a 500KM range, are you suggesting that the average consumer is commuting....250K each way to work?

You see, that's where this argument falls apart. Once people start to comprehend that an average 20,000KM/year driver equals 54KM/day (which, not coincidentally, is basically what the first gen Volts were rated for...) people will understand that an EV with even a 250KM range will fit their needs perfectly with no need to charge anywhere except home at the end of the day.

As I've said before, public charging ONLY matters on trips outside your rated range. Much like gas stations only matter on road trips when you're out of gas.

No I am not suggesting that at all.

And if you are only talking about city driving then like I said this is a very expensive city car.

The 15 min charge time is a surface variable on something which has other factors which could impact that timing.
How long to 100% charge, do you have a charge station available, where is the charge station, single passenger, can I divert my route, check something else out, or just stay on course. etc etc.

Gas vehicles you don't have to plan like this, city or otherwise. Even on road trips I can run almost to empty because I can. There are stations everywhere and get in and out quickly "if I chose to or not". Choice is the key.

Personally for me I prefer the flexibly even if some of the above isn't difficult, I just don't want to give it much thought, just get up and go.

All arguments not with merit today...but in another 5-10 years when charge stations are faster and as common (if not MORE common) than gas stations, not so much.

The nice part about EV charging is that anyone and everyone who has electricity on their property can now run a "gas station". You're seeing it already with businesses offering L2 chargers simply to attract EV owners to visit. The centralized charging station thing that everyone envisions as being a huge fustercluck (with cars waiting in line for 10-20 minutes to get to a charger) is unlikely to ever be a thing when every mom and pop restaurant, retail store, fast food outlet etc etc discovers that they can not only attract customers to come and stay for a few minutes (hence, spending money), but actually turn a modest profit on selling some electricity at the same time.

Would 15 minutes be sufficient??

Some OEMs are pouring billions into R&D. One of the common goals is to see an approx 80% charge in 15 mins.

That will do it. I don’t really understand why the OEM’s are working on their own chargers though but the targets they’ve set out make sense for the average consumer to buy in.

The premium currently being charged for an EV compared to an equivalent gas vehicle needs to significantly come down as well like mentioned numerous times in this thread. This article makes me think that’s going to prove to be a significant challenge as it seems battery prices are still very high https://business.financialpost.com/...-of-jobs-to-lower-model-3-costs-shares-tumble

All arguments not with merit today...but in another 5-10 years when charge stations are faster and as common (if not MORE common) than gas stations, not so much.

The nice part about EV charging is that anyone and everyone who has electricity on their property can now run a "gas station". You're seeing it already with businesses offering L2 chargers simply to attract EV owners to visit. The centralized charging station thing that everyone envisions as being a huge fustercluck (with cars waiting in line for 10-20 minutes to get to a charger) is unlikely to ever be a thing when every mom and pop restaurant, retail store, fast food outlet etc etc discovers that they can not only attract customers to come and stay for a few minutes (hence, spending money), but actually turn a modest profit on selling some electricity at the same time.

It's actually a solution to a problem. NYC was starting to have trouble with very few gas stations available. Land was worth too much so they were all being redeveloped into other uses. EV chargers are an easy addition to a use where it's hard to have a mixed use building with huge gas tanks underneath.

Agreed. Mandating anything for whatever reason only breeds resentment.

It's a long uphill battle to accomplish that in North America, however - especially with the mentalities we have here that make people honestly believe that they need a 1-Ton diesel dually to pull a box trailer with 500 pounds in it, or all the other fallacies about EV's that we've seen come out many times here in this very thread....

- That they don't work in the winter.
- You'll inevitably be stranded on the side of the road dead somewhere the first time you dare venture more than 20 minutes from your house
- Plugging in and charging every night is a "pain".
- That you'll need to replace the battery every few years.

The pickup truck crowd is going to be the biggest hold out as the "roll coal, yeehaw, electric cars are for liberal tree huggers, screw you, eat my dust!" crowd are going to take forever to come around. Until a pickup actually hits the market and starts destroying records and these misconceptions people aren't going to even think about changing their minds, much less consider actually embracing things.

This is why I keep saying that the manufacturers really need to start focusing on the cost of ownership factors first, with performance benefits second - If GM (for example) put out an electric pickup truck tomorrow and said "It will go 300KM a day, every day, and every 100KM you drive will only cost you $2 in electricity instead of $15 in gas", it will attract attention. If there's one that that pisses people off it's the price of gas and how much filling their tank costs them - naturally the larger vehicle segment is a natural for seeing very significant savings that will dwarf the "Buy an econobox ICE vehicle vs an expensive EV" ROI argument.
I agree that offering a pickup that can do the daily drive for a contractor would tick a lot of boxes. My son's little business changed from Silverado's to Transit Connects -- the little vans cost a bit more to buy, but they save $70/week per vehicle in fuel costs -- no brainer. A mini service van that goes 300km on a charge would do us fine, but to break even it would need to cost $45K or less ($15K) premium over gas only and have a resale value after 4years/200k of at least $10K. A 10K premium over gas would make it a no brainer!

$100 says the Voltec driveline ends up in a small SUV after the Volt is discontinued. Any takers?

I won't take that bet. But I know stuff that I can't talk about. Lol

Ok. Can't wait to see how much of the Volt makes it to the new electric caddy. I'm very sure they abandoned the strapping an engine to an electric car concept.

Clueless.....

I know what you do for a living, what Brian does for a living, and I'm clueless. Keep 'em coming, Shifty. If nothing else, you are amusing.

As a Bolt owner, I find it amusing that others refuse to even consider an electric vehicle until there are the same number of charging stations as gas stations. I've owned the Bolt for 5 months now and I haven't used a public charging station once. I only charge the car to 85%. Work has plugs, but I don't use them because they charge money for them. I can go to work everyday for a week and only have to charge at home overnight once. Part of the issue with charging stations at office buildings is that no one is using them if they charge a fee, because there's no need for them. The highway infrastructure is coming along nicely. I've seen numerous examples of people taking east coast road trips with minimal planning. I do venture out of the city by the way. Most of the time I do nothing to try to conserve energy. I drive with the heat on in the fast lane in the winter and I've never gone below 30% of my battery. My hydro bill is approximately $20/month higher than it was before the car and I drive it like I stole it! I love my Bolt.

As a Bolt owner, I find it amusing that others refuse to even consider an electric vehicle until there are the same number of charging stations as gas stations. I've owned the Bolt for 5 months now and I haven't used a public charging station once. I only charge the car to 85%. Work has plugs, but I don't use them because they charge money for them. I can go to work everyday for a week and only have to charge at home overnight once. Part of the issue with charging stations at office buildings is that no one is using them if they charge a fee, because there's no need for them. The highway infrastructure is coming along nicely. I've seen numerous examples of people taking east coast road trips with minimal planning. I do venture out of the city by the way. Most of the time I do nothing to try to conserve energy. I drive with the heat on in the fast lane in the winter and I've never gone below 30% of my battery. My hydro bill is approximately $20/month higher than it was before the car and I drive it like I stole it! I love my Bolt.

What works for you doesn't guarantee it works the same for the next guy. I don't necessarily agree with the naysayers about the lack of electrical infrastructure to support owning a EV at this time, but i also don't believe it's a viable option for everyone yet.

Not for everyone, but I think it will work for a whole heck of a lot more than 2% of the new cars on the road! More buy in = more innovation = lower charging times/higher mileage/more highway charging stations

I saw another i8 today. I have only ever seen them in the winter. I guess they are the winter beaters for the exotic car crowd.

I'm a pretty normal guy. I look around at my neighbours and I don't think my circumstances are particularly unique. EV's make a lot of sense for me. I live 30km from work. I regularly go to visit people in Hamilton/Kitchener/Markham/Guelph etc. I can get to my cottage near Cloyne on a single charge.

Stupid question:
Why do we need public EV chargers at all?
Can't they make an on board charger that just plugs into am outlet? Or do those exist?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I'm a pretty normal guy. I look around at my neighbours and I don't think my circumstances are particularly unique. EV's make a lot of sense for me. I live 30km from work. I regularly go to visit people in Hamilton/Kitchener/Markham/Guelph etc. I can get to my cottage near Cloyne on a single charge.

Uh oh, Shabomeeka Lake?

Back
Top Bottom