Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 127 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

There are quite a few '16 and '17 LTs for the same price as new on Kijiji at the moment. WTF?

Yeah, it's a big issue and unique to the fact that these cars get the big rebate. Unfortunately a lot of dealers (and private sellers) seem oblivious to the reality that a new Volt ends up being nearly the same price as well used 1 and 2 year old Volts as a result.

Anyhow, shifting the conversation....if the ice storm does end up being as bad as it seems like it's going to be (we are in a much higher risk zone out here east of Scarborough/Pickering according to the latest outlooks) and we end up without power...I have my 2500w inverter at the ready and by the morning will have 20KW of stored power to run it sitting in the driveway. ;)

[video=youtube;T0CSs3yorFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CSs3yorFs[/video]

Yeah, it's a big issue and unique to the fact that these cars get the big rebate. Unfortunately a lot of dealers (and private sellers) seem oblivious to the reality that a new Volt ends up being nearly the same price as well used 1 and 2 year old Volts as a result.

Anyhow, shifting the conversation....if the ice storm does end up being as bad as it seems like it's going to be (we are in a much higher risk zone out here east of Scarborough/Pickering according to the latest outlooks) and we end up without power...I have my 2500w inverter at the ready and by the morning will have 20KW of stored power to run it sitting in the driveway. ;)

[video=youtube;T0CSs3yorFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CSs3yorFs[/video]

Are the used dealers just oblivious? They look at MSRP then decide to knock off 1/3 not realizing that’s the same as the gov’t rebate on a new one???

Even some private sellers are asking 29-30k. Bizarre.

Why would you take power from the grid during peak, when you have juice in the Powerwall?
Uh.. because you get paid $.24/kwh to pump it into the grid, then charged $0.12 when you pump it back.

This is the cheapest one I’ve seen listed so far. Higher km, no GM warranty left.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Good price if the mileage and lack of warranty doesn’t bother you, but no seat heaters. That’s a show stopper for me on any car now, especially one with leather. And especially on an EV.

And surprise surprise, they haven’t bothered to charge the battery even for the photos. I’d bet it’s still sitting there dead.

Uh.. because you get paid $.24/kwh to pump it into the grid, then charged $0.12 when you pump it back.

Sure, but only if you are part of the Ontario government "we rent your roof" thing ... in a non-government related deal with solar/power wall/grid setup .... you don't get paid the unsustainable .24$/kWh .... you are lucky if they offer you netmetering or at best they pay you peanuts/kWh ... so once you take that out of the equation you do as I suggested. Just as the rest of the world does ...

Are the used dealers just oblivious? They look at MSRP then decide to knock off 1/3 not realizing that’s the same as the gov’t rebate on a new one???

Even some private sellers are asking 29-30k. Bizarre.

When I was looking before I bought my EV, I laughed quite a few times .... At the time there was like 15-20 cars 2016-2017 listed in low mileage with price around 28-33K ... nuts, twisted. I guess they are hoping to run into uninformed and lazy idiot who will give them near what they are asking ....

When I was looking before I bought my EV, I laughed quite a few times .... At the time there was like 15-20 cars 2016-2017 listed in low mileage with price around 28-33K ... nuts, twisted. I guess they are hoping to run into uninformed and lazy idiot who will give them near what they are asking ....

If you go to the Canadian Black Book site you'll see 2016 Premiere trade-in values damn near that. FWIW

Sure, but only if you are part of the Ontario government "we rent your roof" thing ... in a non-government related deal with solar/power wall/grid setup .... you don't get paid the unsustainable .24$/kWh .... you are lucky if they offer you netmetering or at best they pay you peanuts/kWh ... so once you take that out of the equation you do as I suggested. Just as the rest of the world does ...
OK, but I can't see any scenario where anyone is going to setup a power generator without grid tie unless they have no access to the grid. A solar roof doesn't pay unless it's selling power to the grid.

Even if it was 1:1, I pump a KW into the grid then take it back when I need it -- no net cost. The grid is my virtual battery, no $20K Powerwall needed!

If you go to the Canadian Black Book site you'll see 2016 Premiere trade-in values damn near that. FWIW

Actual book value vs what these cars are realistically worth given the rebate situation are two different things.

If Ford gets in and the rebates inevitably go away these cars will command those values. Until then, you'd be crazy to buy 1-2 years used when the deprecation on them is equal to the rebate amount and you can buy brand new instead.

Even if it was 1:1, I pump a KW into the grid then take it back when I need it -- no net cost. The grid is my virtual battery, no $20K Powerwall needed!

I have yet to see math where an average homeowner can make any money on a typical small-scale solar install without the break even point being 12-15 years down the road..and most solar panels have a life expectancy of 20 years last I checked, so it seems like a silly investment IMHO. If you have the real estate (roof, or otherwise) to do a large-scale install the math works out differently and payback may be quicker, but even then given the high cost outlay of the actual panels plus the grid tie it's still not a get rich quick scheme.

The way Ontario government controls the roof top installs with grid connections AND generally inexpensive kWh grid rate, no, typical roof top install makes little financial sense.

My initial reply was, that it does make sense where roof top installs are NOT as heavily regulated as they are in Ontario, nor the grid rate is as low as it is here and power as stable as is here. These three facts, easily disqualify any project where an ON homeowner does NOT have a pile of money laying around waiting to be thrown at it.

I don't care what the book says .... it's stupid to pay the same money for any used car as would cost you to pretty much buy a brand new one ... the book doesn't make the scam right.

I don't care what the book says .... it's stupid to pay the same money for any used car as would cost you to pretty much buy a brand new one ... the book doesn't make the scam right.

It's not a scam if people are willing to pay it, which applies to many things in life. Are 2016 and 2017 Volts languishing on dealer lots?

It's not a scam if people are willing to pay it, which applies to many things in life. Are 2016 and 2017 Volts languishing on dealer lots?

Many are, actually. EV buyers at this stage tend to be savvy and know about the rebates and know how to do math.

My sister is going to offer $25900 for one today listed at $30K currently, armed (and not afraid to tell the dealer) the reality that at 30K they would be stupid not to buy brand new instead as the exact car is $43K as optioned
Brand new.

I look forward to hearing back with the dealers response is.

Many are, actually. EV buyers at this stage tend to be savvy and know about the rebates and know how to do math.

My sister is going to offer $25900 for one today listed at $30K currently, armed (and not afraid to tell the dealer) the reality that at 30K they would be stupid not to buy brand new instead as the exact car is $43K as optioned
Brand new.

As do I, please share the response if you don't mind haha...

Brand new.

Yes, please share with the class!

I actually just reread her email and she said $23,500 actually, not $25,900.

I expect they will tell her to take a flying leap with her offer initially, but may counter offer with something under $1000 less in return.

At anything more than $5K less than buying new it’s no deal IMHO, So I told her $23,500 would be a deal for me, but much more than $25K and I’d walk.

Last edited:
88,000 km on a 2017. Someone drove a lot.

Edit: Looks like it’s been for sale for a while, look in the background of the pics - leafs and grass. Perhaps a dealer that had it listed high like everybody else and finally came to the realization that if they want to sell it they’ve got to lower the price.
That actually looks like a decent deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom