Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 166 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Stupid question:
Why do we need public EV chargers at all?
Can't they make an on board charger that just plugs into am outlet? Or do those exist?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Pretty much every EV out there (ironically, short of the BMW i3) ships with an included “Level 1” charger (or EVSE as they’re technically called, “Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment”, the actual charger itself is always part of the car) and these are designed to be plugged into a regular outlet.

The problem is that a regular outlet can only supply so many amps, and given the size of the batteries in most EV‘s they are not realistic in many applications. Our Volts for example take about 8 hours for a 55-65KM charge on a regular outlet. For something like a bolt for example, a level one charger from dead takes something in the range of 50+ hours to recharge IIRC.

Fine if you’re at a cottage for the weekend or something...not so much If you’re on a road trip and overnighting at a hotel or something. Unless you’re not dead. ;

This is where level 2 and 3 chargers come into play - they are 6 to 20+ times faster than a level 1.

Stupid question:
Why do we need public EV chargers at all?
Can't they make an on board charger that just plugs into am outlet? Or do those exist?

They exist. They are slow (~3 miles of range per hour of being plugged in). For something like the Volt, this may be practical as the battery can go from empty to full overnight. For something like a BEV, it could be plugged in all weekend and still not be full yet.

Even if one were to find a 240V 40A outlet to plug into, that still only allows Level 2 charging. That's the type of charger that EV owners install in their own residence because it's within the capacity of household circuits. That's overnight to charge something like a Bolt or a Tesla. That's perfect for household installation - it's the design intent. But in order to facilitate long road trips in an EV, you really need Level 3 fast charging, and that requires power supply bigger than conventional plug-type outlets can supply.

The DC fast charging plug is more than "just a plug", there is a signal-level communication with the vehicle before the DC power is energized. "Here is a confirmation signal that I am plugged in." "OK, plug is now locked in." (the plug is locked in while charging so that someone can't accidentally, or intentionally, unplug it with the power on) "OK here is a circuit check to confirm no faults." "OK, here is the voltage and amperage that I am ready for." "OK, here it is." ... some time passes ... "OK I'm almost full, please slow down" ... and then a while later ... "I'm full, please stop." "OK charge plug unlocked". It's done this way to protect against shock hazards. You can't walk up to an EV charging plug and get a shock from it. You can't even poke random wires randomly into the plug and get a shock from it. These safety precautions are necessary because you have untrained people (the general public) using a substantially hazardous energy source (several hundred volts DC with a lot of amps behind it) in unsupervised circumstances and potentially outside when it's raining.

Even if one were to find a 240V 40A outlet to plug into, that still only allows Level 2 charging. That's the type of charger that EV owners install in their own residence because it's within the capacity of household circuits. That's overnight to charge something like a Bolt or a Tesla. That's perfect for household installation - it's the design intent. But in order to facilitate long road trips in an EV, you really need Level 3 fast charging, and that requires power supply bigger than conventional plug-type outlets can supply.

The DC fast charging plug is more than "just a plug", there is a signal-level communication with the vehicle before the DC power is energized. "Here is a confirmation signal that I am plugged in." "OK, plug is now locked in." (the plug is locked in while charging so that someone can't accidentally, or intentionally, unplug it with the power on) "OK here is a circuit check to confirm no faults." "OK, here is the voltage and amperage that I am ready for." "OK, here it is." ... some time passes ... "OK I'm almost full, please slow down" ... and then a while later ... "I'm full, please stop." "OK charge plug unlocked". It's done this way to protect against shock hazards. You can't walk up to an EV charging plug and get a shock from it. You can't even poke random wires randomly into the plug and get a shock from it. These safety precautions are necessary because you have untrained people (the general public) using a substantially hazardous energy source (several hundred volts DC with a lot of amps behind it) in unsupervised circumstances and potentially outside when it's raining.

Reminds me of those youtube videos of people pumping gas, climbing back into their cars, acquiring a static charge and set their gas tank on fire.

Thanks Brian and PP.
That makes sense. I didn't realize all the steps involved in charging, or the power required for fast charging.

It's like a Penthouse letter for charging.

Like I said earlier, PLEASE stop posting. its quite evident that you are CLUELESS

They are pushing Caddilac as the leader electric brand. Im very sure Tesla execs are now worried.... LOL

Like I said, Pull up a chair, this will be fun to watch the next great GM debacle.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/18178444/cadillac-general-motors-gm-electric-vehicle-ev

Wow, its happening a lot sooner than predicted. The execs can't even agree on a direction. Dissension among the ranks. This can't be good for a company.

Pull up a chair for the next great GM debacle. (source Jalopnik and Reuters)

https://jalopnik.com/gm-executives-dont-even-seem-to-agree-on-cadillac-1831946069

and

Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...for-cadillacs-success-executive-idUSKCN1P82F7

"GM knows Caddilac is in trouble"
https://jalopnik.com/gm-knows-this-is-cadillac-s-last-chance-1831926384

Last edited:
In other news, Tesla Model 3 received its european homologation and it eyeing building a tesla battery factory in Germany.

These guys are making inroads, One to watch for sure. While Tesla surely has a second generation of improved products coming the Euros barely have there first gen products ready.

IMHO, VW group will lead the affordable electric car race over all the other makes possibly unseating Tesla in a few years. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

E-Vette

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...electric-corvette-with-a-manual-transmission/

$

Sorry, too busy watching daily Tesla debacle.

Looks like todays news is messy - Looks like Tesla is having trouble moving cars from the $100,000 club now.

BRB, getting popcorn.

Well,. Is it because buyers are flocking to competitors 100g+ electric cars?

Wait a minute. There is NO competition. Lolz. Either that or they a running out and buying Cadillacs

Listen,. Last I heard. They are launching in China and Europe soon with new factories being built.

Forget popcorn im gonna go grab myself another beer.

Last edited:
Boom goes the dynamite!

IT'S. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

See post #3121 of this thread quote "Yes,, Hydrogen is coming.. but don't worry, 2 or 3 years from now, I will point back to post #3121, just like I am pointing back to Post #2 of this thread from 2 years ago, talking about how great and relevant Tesla is (before most ppl here even knew what an electric car was), and still is in todays market as we still haven't seen a viable competitor yet. the Volt? The Bolt? puh-leeeeeze.

No, it won't be here "tomorrow", and no, it won't replace full electrics, but its coming and its a better way than silly pluggin in as mentioned earlier. , Hydrogen is doing very well in California, around here, Look to places like Quebec and BC, they are more in tune with latest developments, Ontario, is always lagging behind. They still think the Volt is good car and the way of the future.

Quotes from the link below :

"The hydrogen movement in Quebec is gaining momentum...Quebec is poised to be a world leader in development of Hydrogen"

Gotta start somewhere right?

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...or-fuel-cell-electric-vehicles-850754460.html

Last edited:
If there are concerns about the capacity of the electrical distribution infrastructure to support mass adoption of EVs, those concerns are three times greater using on-site electrolysis to produce hydrogen! The process is inefficient, and that statement is governed by the laws of thermodynamics, which won't change.

And that's Quebec, which has flooded huge areas of its north in the interest of implementing hydroelectric power. Ontario doesn't have that option. How much public support is there for building another nuclear plant? And if you're going to use hydroelectric power from natural gas ... you might as well skip the hydrogen step.

The linked article evidently originated from Toyota, who have a vested interest in this.

I don't doubt that hydrogen fuel cells could have an eventual place in applications where battery power just won't do. That, for the most part, is not private motor vehicles, for which battery power today is good enough for most people (most of whom don't realize it). We know how to build public charging stations, we just have to build more of them. We know how to build private charging stations, we just have to build more of them.

IT'S. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

Do you just have that spiel on copy & paste or something? Because I want to say we've heard (and debunked it), like, 50 times in this thread.

Lets play a little game called "Spot the charging stations", shall we?

Here's a list of EV chargers across the USA and Canada.

evchargingstations.jpg

And here's Southern Ontario. If you can make it out amongst all the pins.

evchargingstations2.jpg

Now, lets play "Spot the hydrogen filling stations!". Come on, play along!

hydrogenstations.jpg

Your repeated statements that hydrogen cars are going to somehow become mainstream inside a few years is as batshit crazy as Trump saying "I never said Mexico was going to pay for the wall".

And on a completely different but related topic, riddle me this - do you seriously think that there's any chance in hell of convincing our current premiere to support alternative fuel vehicles in the foreseeable future given the cancellation of the whole EV program and his apparent disbelief in climate change?

Good bloody luck.

Oh, and Tesla may not make it past Q1 this year as the financial noose tightens.

And the unicorn $35,000 Model 3 is still vaporware. And will remain that way since Musk has all but said the company would lose money selling them at that dollar figure now. So all those people sitting on the waiting lists waiting for their promised $35K M3? Yeah, those aren't going to translate into sales.

Oh, and Tesla may not make it past Q1 this year as the financial noose tightens.

And the unicorn $35,000 Model 3 is still vaporware. And will remain that way since Musk has all but said the company would lose money selling them at that dollar figure now. So all those people sitting on the waiting lists waiting for their promised $35K M3? Yeah, those aren't going to translate into sales.

From the end of the article..

Disclosure: I am/we are short TSLA. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

This used to be an informative thread.. Now it's just gone to bickering between certain people.

Can we go back to people posting about their experiences and bringing forward good, relevant information about EVs?

This used to be an informative thread.. Now it's just gone to bickering between certain people.

Can we go back to people posting about their experiences and bringing forward good, relevant information about EVs?
I second this motion.

Back
Top Bottom