Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 116 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Cool. Looking at the forecast we are back into some kinda cold overnight lows again after tonight (Ugh, more -7 to -10) so depending on what you've set your "Engine assisted heating" (IE, ERDTT) setting for, don't be surprised to hear the engine running even with a full battery. For you, knowing that you're going to be exhausting the battery anyways completely on your to/from commute, it makes sense to set it for the -4c range and let it do it's thing - it'll use a little gas, but the idea is that it can be more effecient to use engine waste heat for cabin comfort vs having the grid heater running heavily (sapping the battery) instead.

On weekends when you're driving shorter distances, set it for the -10c (or below if it's an option on the new ones, not entirely sure) and avoid ERDTT all together as you have enough battery to "waste" a lot of it with grid heating vs using gas.

The Volt can be very much a thinking mans car if you want it to be...or you can just ignore everything and drive it like a normal car, that's the best part. ;)

I read somewhere that when it's cold out and you want cabin heat to put the car into HOLD mode (if you have that option) and let the engine run a bit to assist with heating up the cabin as it's much quicker and efficient than using the electricity.

I've been trying it and it makes sense. I'll end up with the heat on full in comfort mode and it will be using less than 30% Climate power. As soon as the cabin gets comfortable I put it in Eco and it uses even less.
It makes even more sense if you know your trip will take you past your EV range and you'll be using gas anyways.

On another note this car picks up nails like a mother****er. I've owned it less than a year and I've already gotten 2 punctures on the same rear passenger side. Once with my summers and again with my Winters. The TPMS in this car is really smart. Best I've owned in a car so far. That includes my old Infiniti.

I took the Volt to work yesterday and today for a change. My new commute is about 50km each way. With ERDTT set to the default yesterday the engine was cutting in frequently and I got to work with slightly less than half the battery remaining. Today, with ERDTT set to "Delayed" the engine didn't cut in at all and I had just over 20% battery on arrival. I leave the temp set at 20c and Eco mode on except for a few bursts of full defrost when needed to clear the windshield.

I made the trip home yesterday all on battery, but only just. Had about 10km left when I got home, keeping up with the fast lane traffic really ate into the electric range. Speeds over 120km/hr really have an impact. I definitely like the car, but I do miss the one pedal driving in the Bolt.

I definitely like the car, but I do miss the one pedal driving in the Bolt.

Put the Shifter in the L position, that’s one pedal mode...but you’ll find it has less regen than what you may be used to on the Bolt, but it’ll be the closest possible.

Put the Shifter in the L position, that’s one pedal mode...but you’ll find it has less regen than what you may be used to on the Bolt, but it’ll be the closest possible.

I use L in the Volt all the time, it's not even close to to L in the Bolt. Regen is less and the car never comes to a complete stop. After 14,000km in the Bolt it's weird going to something that feels more like a "normal" car.

120km/h vs. sub 100km/h ... yeah it really makes a huge difference, even though it doesn't look like much 20km/h .... the culprit is the darn air drag (assuming you didn't have head wind on top of it). That force is roughly doubled when you are doing 120 instead of keeping it under 100km/h. When on hwy, I just park it in the right lane, and only reluctantly give it a squirt to pass quickly some of the really slow cars or trucks.

Regarding the regen ... interesting article came out recently, where a motor engineer from Tesla was explaining, why Tesla has chosen a bit of weird motor type from model 3 ... permanent magnet switched reluctance motor ... when their model S and X uses induction motors. Anyways, plethora details was mentioned, but basically the main reason was when they combined targeted efficiencies, torque etc. this was motor which fit their needs the best. Why it's interesting is the fact, that this motor choice which in its current iteration cannot provide 100% one-pedal operation, so model 3 basically cannot stop without a brake in most situations (barring longish regen glide with a foot off). Perhaps they will overcome that, if they care to do so in future, or perhaps they will not ... will have to see. Anyway, it was interesting that the motor type matters, not just its power specs, torque etc. for features as regen. Certainly Bolt and Volt don't use the same motor, perhaps they use a similar motor type .... I am not sure.

GM (and most other EV manufacturers) use permanent-magnet synchronous AC motors. Tesla historically has used AC induction motors. Switched-reluctance motors are yet another different type. They all have very different operating characteristics and different relationships between frequency (i.e. RPM i.e. road speed) and voltage and magnetizing current.

The permanent-magnet type is the kind that requires lots of rare earth metals to make the strong permanent magnets. AC induction motors don't need magnets - they're all iron and copper (and insulation) inside. Switched-reluctance motors don't usually have permanent magnets, although they could be built with them.

and the car never comes to a complete stop

The "Creep" programmed into the Volt (and having looked at it, several other EV's, although it's switchable on/off on most Teslas) is something I have a love hate relationship with. I often think I'd like to be able to disable it, but then some say that on EV's without it some delicate maneuvers (parking in a tight spot, slow speed maneuvers etc) can be harder.

The "Creep" programmed into the Volt (and having looked at it, several other EV's, although it's switchable on/off on most Teslas) is something I have a love hate relationship with. I often think I'd like to be able to disable it, but then some say that on EV's without it some delicate maneuvers (parking in a tight spot, slow speed maneuvers etc) can be harder.

I can only comment on the Volt and Bolt, but the Bolt is easy for parking lot and fine maneuvering. The pedal is calibrated very well so even getting it inch along is very easy.

I can only comment on the Volt and Bolt, but the Bolt is easy for parking lot and fine maneuvering. The pedal is calibrated very well so even getting it inch along is very easy.

Haha, I've seen the carnage caused by old people with pedal confusion have caused with Buicks. With modern EV's with incredible acceleration and lots of weight the outcomes will be much worse.

Haha, I've seen the carnage caused by old people with pedal confusion have caused with Buicks. With modern EV's with incredible acceleration and lots of weight the outcomes will be much worse.

No amount of technology can fix stupid.

Got an outlet put into the garage and bought a JuiceBox Pro 40, which should arrive in a few days. I figure the government is paying for half of all this, so it's a good investment. Now that I've had the Volt for a week, it's starting to grow on me.

I don't have an EV car yet, but would like to have the outlet installed in the garage, will the Gov. still pay for half ? or does it have to match the car you get and it's all installed at the same time ?

I don't have an EV car yet, but would like to have the outlet installed in the garage, will the Gov. still pay for half ? or does it have to match the car you get and it's all installed at the same time ?

You have to have proof that you own an EV, and then it’s a one time affair for both the receptacle and charger installation together, so you can’t split it into 2 transactions.

You have to have proof that you own an EV, and then it’s a one time affair for both the receptacle and charger installation together, so you can’t split it into 2 transactions.

Crap....

Maybe I finally put that deposit on the Tesla....probably not proof enough, but at least the car is on reserve....

Thanks - PP

Maybe I finally put that deposit on the Tesla....probably not proof enough, but at least the car is on reserve....

The EV has to be registered and plated, its rebate approved, and then the EVSE rebates will be processed and (hopefully) approved. So, yes, a reservation won't be proof enough for the MTO and Min. of Finance.

And, will these rebates will survive a possible change of government in 3 months?

^ Riiight.

[video=youtube;dKQPHC4JyAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKQPHC4JyAU[/video]

Just wait until they are out of warranty ...

It's officially been over a month (and a few days) since I put gas in my Volt, and the best part is out of that 33L, I still have 22 of them in the tank.

Just under 1800KM travelled, 11L used, 0.61L/100KM, 392MPG.

If the current usage continues I shouldn't need gas again until roughly the May two-four long weekend - 3 months.

I suspect it'll actually be after that, however, perhaps June, since once the weather finally starts to warm up I'll end up re-gaining some lost EV range and some trips that are using a bit of gas at this point will be back to 100% EV.

You will get a letter soon ... from oil lobby lawyer's office. Unacceptable practice costing the lobby and province valuable revenue. Don't be a cheapskate and fill-up more often.

Back
Top Bottom